Crossbows

Started by Houndhead, December 11, 2013, 11:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handles II

If we have more people enter the woods regardless of weapon, there will be more deer taken cleanly, and more wounded deer that perhaps live, perhaps don't. Crossbows will be part of that. Just as with other weapons, the easier it is to use, the less (some) people will practice with it and learn which shots to take, which not to take, what angles the deer must be at etc. This leads to more wounding even if the weapon is inherantly more accurate, that doesn't mean the shooter will be more prepared and effective.

bigG

Accuracy, though, depends more on the shooter than the weapon. Practice, practice practice.

I just want the atlatl to have its own season, so I can find some dang solitude out there.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

smitty71

I don't know how anyone has ever killed anything with one of those.  I tried it once and it's tough!
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

ramjet

Quote from: Handles II on December 13, 2013, 02:59:12 PM
If we have more people enter the woods regardless of weapon, there will be more deer taken cleanly, and more wounded deer that perhaps live, perhaps don't. Crossbows will be part of that. Just as with other weapons, the easier it is to use, the less (some) people will practice with it and learn which shots to take, which not to take, what angles the deer must be at etc. This leads to more wounding even if the weapon is inherantly more accurate, that doesn't mean the shooter will be more prepared and effective.

You need to go back rewrite this as you contradict yourself so much that it is hard to follow. Nothing wrong with crossbows and more people in the woods that is good thing the resources are there for everyone to enjoy and use. You and other private landowners like myself do not own the deer and what do you use a Compound or a self bow? Either way it does not matter choose what you want and hunt with it it is not going to put more people other than a few youth hunters and some gals and maybe some older folks I cannot see that being a problem. AT ALL fringing WBH associations is elitist group of self centered lobbysts that think they own the deer heard and so is the WTA of which I am member and i have openly supported in front of the members the use of crossbows. 

Crossbow dates back way longer than the Compound bow only dated by the self bow made of yew that English archers used. Frankly they are rather cumbersome to use and you still have to get close enough and see deer to use them.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on December 13, 2013, 03:05:14 PM
Accuracy, though, depends more on the shooter than the weapon. Practice, practice practice.

I just want the atlatl to have its own season, so I can find some dang solitude out there.

When I was a kid, I killed a goose with a rock.  Pretty quiet way to go, but it takes a good arm. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Quote from: smitty71 on December 13, 2013, 04:03:13 PM
I don't know how anyone has ever killed anything with one of those.  I tried it once and it's tough!

I felt it came naturally to me. I lobe the thing; but you need to room get a head of steam. Need a barbed spear, though to stick into the critter and keep it bleeding. Tracking skills are big for Atlatl hunters, I'm guessing. Not a treestand-friendly weapon. :) Like anything, you'll suck the first fifty launches. I've always liked throwing, and the atlatl is natural to those coached correctly in baseball. I still suck; but I've seen many opportunities by my camper that screamed "if only I had an atlatl right now!" ;)

maggie

ahhhhhhh, crossbows shoot a BOLT  ;) NOT AN ARROW....just saying..
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Handles II

Quote from: ramjet on December 13, 2013, 05:27:14 PM

You need to go back rewrite this as you contradict yourself so much that it is hard to follow. Nothing wrong with crossbows and more people in the woods that is good thing the resources are there for everyone to enjoy and use. You and other private landowners like myself do not own the deer and what do you use a Compound or a self bow? Either way it does not matter choose what you want and hunt with it it is not going to put more people other than a few youth hunters and some gals and maybe some older folks I cannot see that being a problem. AT ALL fringing WBH associations is elitist group of self centered lobbysts that think they own the deer heard and so is the WTA of which I am member and i have openly supported in front of the members the use of crossbows. 

Crossbow dates back way longer than the Compound bow only dated by the self bow made of yew that English archers used. Frankly they are rather cumbersome to use and you still have to get close enough and see deer to use them.
You need to re-read what I posted. I stated that more people in the woods attempting to shoot more deer will equal more wounded deer as there will be more people taking bad shots or overestimating the effectiveness of their weapon, or more likely, their abilities.
Please explain how I am wrong without going into some tangent about the WBH or the history of crossbows.

ramjet

Quote from: Houndhead on December 11, 2013, 12:18:20 PM
I wish they would have made it a seperate season and tag from the archery. I was surprised by the 91-0 vote in the Assembly.

Why?

I have hunted with traditional gear and am a life member of the WTA and have zero issue with full inclusion. The idea that they will shoot all the deer is absurd. This just gives another option to folks to hunt with a device older than the compound. It's no real big deal. I will add I have permit and used one this last week and shot an old wise doe the quickest most human kill I have made with archery equipment. Just an option hound do not get caught up in the propaganda from the WBH. They are selfish self serving group of hunters that are not friends of conservation only themselves.

ramjet

Quote from: Handles II on January 08, 2014, 02:24:53 PM
Quote from: ramjet on December 13, 2013, 05:27:14 PM

You need to re-read what I posted. I stated that more people in the woods attempting to shoot more deer will equal more wounded deer as there will be more people taking bad shots or overestimating the effectiveness of their weapon, or more likely, their abilities.
Please explain how I am wrong without going into some tangent about the WBH or the history of crossbows.

I can assure you their will be less wounded deer from CB than guys with longbows self bows and compounds.

I just took a doe with crossbow it was fast and over faster than any deer I shot with traditional equipment and I have taken allot of deer with my longbow and a few elk. In fact the nice buck I shot with my GNR 375 #2 flopped around longer than this doe did and she weighed over 140 lbs dressed out.

Let's leave aside the propaganda the law will allow more folks to have the option to hunt with crossbow and then declare if they used a CB or other archery equipment to harvest the game. 2 years from now the data will be available to examine to see if they became the prolific game taking machines many say they are.

To celebrate the law I will go tomorrow and buy another CB this time to support a State business it will be a Mathews (Mission) CB. Looked them today great bow with narrow limbs and light weight well made by skilled workers here in Wisconsin. I am excited to get it may even go out and see if I can call in a yoddle pup or two.

I would and everyone should be more concerned with the baiting and feeding of deer than a CB.

Handles II

I said more people in the woods will equate to more wounded deer. I stated that as a fact regardless of the weapon used.
You argued against me twice and both times you were wrong.

ramjet

Quote from: Handles II on January 10, 2014, 07:56:01 AM

I said more people in the woods will equate to more wounded deer. I stated that as a fact regardless of the weapon used.
You argued against me twice and both times you were wrong.

A "fact" according to you.

Feeding deer on one side of the highway equates to more deer crossing and getting hit by cars. Wheres the outrage?

Would you let your kids (if they are old enough) if they asked hunt with crossbow?

Why do think there will be more people hunting or that many "more" people?

I actually think and see more people considering it that already hunt than anyone who is new.

bigG

I was going to upgrade compound bows for my son; but I think I'll wait and go with a cross the next purchase.

Handles II

Yes it is a fact.

As for your questions that change the subject:

1. There is outrage about baiting deer
2. Not unless they are buying their crossbows. Dad already bought them vertical bows that they asked for.
3. There will be people using crossbows that do not use vertical bows, therefore more people hunting with bows. I never said "many" learn to comprehend what you read.
4. See #3.

imnofish

My only issue with feeding deer is the increasing prevalence of CWD and the potential for spreading it by feeding.  I know we aren't hearing as much about this lately, but it is an issue that should be dealt with.  Maybe the big deer populations should be a thing of the past, if we are ever going to get this problem under control.  If the use of more efficient weapons can be safely included in that effort, I don't have a problem with it.  My brother's really good with a slingshot.  Any potential for a slingshot season?   ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!