Crossbows

Started by Houndhead, December 11, 2013, 11:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

I imagine that the company will welcome the opportunity to sell more crossbows.  Are there any projections regarding the number of middle class jobs this will produce? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Smart move. I think it's high time crossbows were more accessible to hunters.

Would be interesting if the PETA faithful were to try to confront this, as greater accuracy means less suffering.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

I wish they would have made it a seperate season and tag from the archery. I was surprised by the 91-0 vote in the Assembly.

Houndhead

Quote from: futurerichguy on December 11, 2013, 11:46:40 AM
Scott Walker must have a man-crush on Daryl Dixon.

I think it has almost nothing to do with Walker or creating jobs as Fish was inquiring. He was just signing something that appearently was popular enough to be passed unanimously.

bigG

Quote from: Houndhead on December 11, 2013, 12:22:41 PM

I think it has almost nothing to do with Walker or creating jobs as Fish was inquiring. He was just signing something that appearently was popular enough to be passed unanimously.

Yeah, no-brainer. I know I'd love to own a cross. I really enjoyed shooting my dad's for practice.

jeast

Some things to consider:
1) a crossbow weighs more than a bow.  This weight is a bit harder to handle in a tree stand and a bit awkward.  Practice shooting from a stand is critical to success.  Not so much with a reg. bow.
2) use only the bolts that are suggested by the company you buy the crossbow from.  Bolts, unlike normal arrows are very specific to the shooting of a specific crossbow.
3) you won't be getting a second shot...ever.  Much harder to put a bolt in, cock the crossbow...much more movement and time is required.
4) If you are in the market for a "new" used bow, wait till this next season to buy.  Many of the archers out there will be switching to a crossbow, thus many more bows will be on the used market most likely driving the prices down.
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

bigG

Good advice. Thanks for that.

imnofish

Quote from: Houndhead on December 11, 2013, 12:22:41 PM

Back when I used to bow hunt, I always thought a crossbow would be a lot more effective.  I don't see a problem with the new law, especially since it will probably result in less suffering by the deer.  I am serious about the jobs question, though.  Anyone heard or read any projections?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

mat time

Quote from: jeast on December 11, 2013, 12:56:42 PM
Some things to consider:
1) a crossbow weighs more than a bow.  This weight is a bit harder to handle in a tree stand and a bit awkward.  Practice shooting from a stand is critical to success.  Not so much with a reg. bow.
2) use only the bolts that are suggested by the company you buy the crossbow from.  Bolts, unlike normal arrows are very specific to the shooting of a specific crossbow.
3) you won't be getting a second shot...ever.  Much harder to put a bolt in, cock the crossbow...much more movement and time is required.
4) If you are in the market for a "new" used bow, wait till this next season to buy.  Many of the archers out there will be switching to a crossbow, thus many more bows will be on the used market most likely driving the prices down.

With regards to #1 the new crossbows, at least the higher end ones, are not as big and heavy as their predecessors. I couldn't believe some of the ones out there. They are not bad for second shot if u r able to cock them without aid.
I haven't bow hunted in some time but now I will probably get back into it with a crossbow.
Gold medals aren

ramjet

The idea it has to be separate form archery season is a bunch of BS the archery lobby seems to think that hoards of folks will flock to the woods because of crossbows. BS the people who are going take up cross bows are maybe some women and younger folks that is good thing, we need more numbers to take up hunting. The other group will be older folks that just do not have time or have some issue to using a compound. Heck an 80 compound with 85% setoff can be held for a very long time not a heck of allot different than a crossbow.

G PM me I have several crossbows I have done some in-depth testing of them and can give you some heads up on plusses and minuses of the different models and makes.

By the way I hunt with Longbow and a crossbow I have had more success with my longbow than my crossbow uummmm contrary to what you here isn't it.

There is allot of mis-information on crossbows out there and if you want me to expound on my personal experience this year hunting with one I will.

maggie

i agree with hound, walker had no political reason to sign this, it's simply what most of the hunters wanted...to me, crossbows are not really part of old time traditional bow hunting, i see them as a advanced killing tool that gives the hunter a huge edge against an animal and not a Bow. for those who hunt for meat because they really need it, i guess i can understand using them.  one thing that has always bugged me is the fact that most of the people who use them think there rifles, it really bothers me to hear a person say, i shot at one 50 yds away or 60 yds away...ya, you sure can kill a deer at 50 yd with a crossbow as you can with a regular bow, but how many deer are wounded because of this? where i hunt, i have seen a lot more deer walking around wounded than i have seen before the people around the area started using them..as hound said, and again i agree,(that's twice in one day hound  :)) i would also like to see a crossbow season separate from all other hunts...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

ramjet

Well except that in the DNR spring meetings they was overwhelmingly voted to support a crossbow bill and your interpretation of the crossbow like most things you attempt to analyze is so far from the truth it is not even on this planet.

Crossbows have been around for hundreds of years longer than Compounds FACT.

Crossbows have been around darn near as long as Yew Longbows....FACT

Crossbows increase the opportunity for younger folks to hunt and effectively and CLEANLY harvest game the outdoor experience is important and some success keeps them interested.  FACT

Crossbows is just another option like Compound vs Recurve or Longbow or 243 vs 30-30 or handgun. Do not over think this and take out your political bias and you can see this "tool" opens the opportunity to draw in some new and give more opportunity to the old.

The idea of hunting is harvest game that is the ultimate end to the beginning and we owe to the game to make it clean and effective. FACT

Crossbows shoot an arrow just like a longbow and or compound......FACT

Compound bows use sighting devices which include lighted pins and scopes just like crossbows.

So under your idea of hunting we should make our own bows from Hickory and shoot stone tipped arrows made from Rivercane?  I have done both made a bow and the arrows nice experience but we would have more deer for the toddle pups than for the freezer but with your mentality that is the way to go because with your statement compounds should NOT be allowed either.

imnofish

I think maybe we should have a catch and release deer hunting season.  With our latest paint ball technology, we should be able to do it.  Maybe use trail cams to record the "catch."  Then, go celebrate with a tofurkey!   ;)

bigG

I like that. Tranq dart, take some pictures with the deer in funny poses, then cut 'em. "Deer with a beer" picture. Another with the deer on an outhouse stool "Deer John." Possibilities are endless.