InterMat Rankings (12/10/2013)

Started by npope, December 10, 2013, 05:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

The new rankings (InterMat) are out and they aren't kind to the Badgers. Not that they are worth much in a sport that settles everything in a tournament at the end of the year, the early season respect accorded to the Badgers is evaporating as the season wears on. The team rankings are a direct function of the individual rankings, which explains why Illinois sits at 11 while Bucky is down at 26.

The guys who were ranked early in the year are slipping as they accumulate loses: Graff is sitting at number 8; Jordan at number 9; and Medberry at 10. Theilke and Hein are missing from the rankings altogether at this point. Only Ryan Taylor is making some headway in the rankings, currently 14th.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

leg turk

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college

Wow!   No love is right!   They were 16th I believe last week......  How do you go from 16th to 26, after you take down #7 (at the time), and then blow the doors off of Michigan state?

Gutwrench

Quote from: leg turk on December 10, 2013, 07:00:57 AM

Wow!   No love is right!   They were 16th I believe last week......  How do you go from 16th to 26, after you take down #7 (at the time), and then blow the doors off of Michigan state?

I think like The Pope said, the team ranking appears to be some direct correlation of the individual rankings.  Even though I think some of the individual results have not lived up to early season expectations, I find it hard to place UW 26th.  In reality I think UW is probably in that 15th rank range.  Maybe even a little higher.

Briopiate

The intermat rankings are the least accurate to reality in my opinion. Does anyone in the world really think that Graff is the 8th best wrestler at 133 this year? I know they seem to go strictly by who beat who this year; but that doesn't often give up realistic rankings. There needs to be some history and common sense applied for accurate rankings.

npope

Quote from: leg turk on December 10, 2013, 07:00:57 AM

I whined in an email to the ranking guys about the Wisconsin's ranking last year after having beaten a higher ranked team and they actually immediately responded by explaining to me that the team rankings are ALL about points awarded based on the individual rankings - no subjectivity involved in the team rankings - although the same cannot be said of the individual rankings.

Nat Pope

wrestling for fun

Ramos loses drops 2 places
Graff loses drops 6 places

Graff has beaten #2 Schopp twice in past year and is ranked 6 places below him,
Also beat #5 Beckman last year by 7.

npope

Quote from: wrestling for fun on December 10, 2013, 10:35:19 AM
Ramos loses drops 2 places
Graff loses drops 6 places

Graff has beaten #2 Schopp twice in past year and is ranked 6 places below him,
Also beat #5 Beckman last year by 7.

"What have you done for me lately?"

Nat Pope

jaguarwrestler

I think Graff should be top 5, the rest seem fair... the team has lost 3 duals... getting spanked by the team they have 14th. They need to have a great showing at the Midlands.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

harley

Graff has placed 5th, 5th and 3rd at NCAA'S, has 1 loss, he deserves more then an 8th ranking. IMO

npope

Quote from: harley on December 10, 2013, 12:52:17 PM
Graff has placed 5th, 5th and 3rd at NCAA'S, has 1 loss, he deserves more then an 8th ranking. IMO

Graff gets a chance to straighten things out at the Midlands - a handful of the guys ranked higher than him should be there - including Colon.

Nat Pope

MNbadger

It is stated right on the Intermat page that rankings are based on individual scoring.
Rankings are what they are but how does Mango get ranked #1 ?  He has not wrestled a ranked wrestler yet this season and has a 14-10 victory over someone from California Baptist college or some such place.
And yes, rankings are based on this year's performance.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

npope

I think Mango is there by default at this point. Didn't he beat Ramos in the finals of Midlands last year at 133?

Nat Pope

zugzoo

Quote from: howaviYour reward for winning Sectionals: Weston Olund Merrill 11-2 12  vs Jesse Thielke Germantown 39-1 10

npope

Ahhh. All those Hawkeyes look alike to me.

Nat Pope

dad 2 5

It makes no sense that they moved Graff down that far. He was #5 and wins twice and goes down? Did they do the rankings before Friday night and the WI beating IL? :)
Hopefully they go down to Midlands and get some great wins.

I know we have brought up Coon before but wow what a jump! One quality win over another freshmen and the guy goes to #4? Hard to understand that one.

Mango's picture is like, "what? i'm ranked first?"