Refusing To Be Broken

Started by imnofish, November 26, 2013, 01:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

I recently came across this article written by a childhood friend and thought about the implications of its premise.  Amazingly, this guy was NOT an athlete in high school.  He was a very late maturer, who learned to compete in other contexts first. 

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-winning-athletes/200911/refusing-be-broken
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Good read. I think the early maturing athlete is very susceptible to this. You do see this often in wrestling.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

neutral

If you haven't seen the movie "Unbroken" ... it's a must.

Unbroken is a 2014 American historical biographic war-sports drama film, produced and directed by Angelina Jolie, and based on the 2010 non-fiction book by Laura Hillenbrand, Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption. The film revolves around the life of USA Olympian and athlete Louis "Louie" Zamperini, portrayed by Jack O'Connell. Zamperini survived in a raft for 47 days after his bomber was downed in World War II, then was sent to a series of prisoner of war camps.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Grapl