Upcoming Season

Started by ougiqbxy, November 23, 2013, 01:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ougiqbxy

Thoughts on the upcoming season?  Can the Valley maintain sending a team to the finals every year team state has been in existence?  An notable incoming freshmen?  Transfers?

Here's a list (probably not complete) of notable returnees with last years post season weight:

DC Everest

106 Manning Denk 11 Sectional Qualifier
113 Mitch Veverka 10 Sectionals
120 Jack Freix 11 Sectionals
126 Nolan White 11 Sectionals
145 Joe Ziolkowski 11 (DNP) at state
152 Sean Luedtke 12 Sectionals
195 Kyle Schepp 11 Sectionals
220 Drew Stotmeister 12 Sectionals

Marshfield

126 Luke Mahoney 12
138 Mitch Hertel 11 (4th)
145 Carsten Lovstad 12
160 Josh Lang 10 Sectionals
170 Brett Hasbrouck 11
285 Tristan Wilson 12 Sectionals

Merrill

106 Aiden Ball 10
113 Nathan Beyer 12 Sectionals
120 Hunter Welch 11
132 Scott Arneson 11 Sectionals
160 Mason Reinhardt 11 (3rd)
170 David Pophal 12 (2nd)
182 Ben Hintze 12 Sectionals
195 Alex Klug 12 Sectionals
220 Tyler Schmidt 12 (1st)
285 Gabe Nelles 12

SPASH

106 Nate Duffert 10 Sectionals
113 Kolby Konopacky 12 Sectionals
120 Kolten Pope 12 Sectionals
126 Fritz Schierl 10 Sectionals
152 Tyler Engle 12 Sectionals
160 Nathan Engle 10 Sectionals
170 Quinton Peters 12 Sectionals
182 Mitch Mallek 12 (DNP)

Wausau East

-

Wausau West

113 Alex Burke 12 Sectionals
120 Hunter Kuehl 12 Sectionals
145 Ben Kostroski 12 Sectionals
152 Travis Hettinga 12 (3rd)

Wisconsin Rapids

106 Patrick Spray 10 (DNP)
113 Matrix Jisko 10 Sectionals
120 Dylan Hall 10
126 Killian Carter 11 Sectionals
132 Jordan Scalice 12 Sectionals
145 Peyton Einerson 11 Sectionals
152 Nathan Fuller 10 Sectionals
182 Cody Abel 11
195 Beau Thompson 11 (DNP)

I'll throw Rhinelander on here too:

106 Dakota Stone 12 Sectionals
120 Jon Fox 10
132 Alex Reas 11
138 Derrick Dumprope 10
145 Jordan Lundt 11 Sectionals
170 Adam Woebbeking 12 Sectionals
195 Connor Johnson 12 (5th)
285 Bryce Bilogan 12 Sectionals

"One man isn't any better than another, not because they are equal, but because they are intrinsically other, that there is no term of comparison."

Rupert Birkin in "Women in Love" by D. H. Lawrence

head57

Merrill has to be the favorite. SPASH looks to be very good and Rapids will likely bounce back rather nicely. West is always tough, but this is definitely a transition year there. Hard to say what they look like.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

padre

Pretty good year for the Valley this year...

Merrill- Will compete for a possible state team title.  If their big weights can all get down at the end there is no one in D1 that matches up well with them from 160 up.  They do have a couple strong lower weights but also have a couple holes that they will have to only give up decisions to teams like Bay Port and Kaukauna to have a chance.  Looks like Schultz made the move over from Antigo which will help them at 113.

West- Heavy losses from their state title team.  The cupboard is not bare as they had some good back-ups at some of the weights, however it will be tough to stay in the top third of the conference this year.

Stevens Point- The team strength is that they are pretty tough at almost every weight.  They filled their top end(at least fat tested some) which will help them in duals.  I noticed one strong middle weight did not test as of yet that could hurt if he is not out.  Definitely a lot of talent on the team but unfortunately in a very tough regional....where Point is tough so is Merrill.

D.C. Everest- I think this will be the most improved team this year.  Much of their line-up coming back and add some good freshmen to the mix.  Filling a line-up will help a lot and I look for them to be highly competitive compared to last year.

Wausau East- Tough conference for a young team struggling with numbers.  Hopefully their program will continue to grow.

Marshfield- Some good individuals but may struggle in the dual portion in the Valley.  Thought the freshman Smith twins would be there this year but did not see them test.

WI Rapids- The team will start their upward turn to prosperity this year.  While the team will still be young they have a lot of talent.  Benitz should be back in the line-up and the really young team from last year should benefit from a year on varsity.  I think they are a year away yet from trying to win the conference but will be a good dual team.

Predictions....

1. Merrill
2. Stevens Point- will be a great battle with Rapids for this spot
3. WI Rapids
4. West
5. DC Everest
6. Marshfield
7. East

padre

After dualing West today they are still to be reckoned with in the Valley.   Unsure if they will have enough firepower in an individual tournament but they continue to have a good dual team.  I'd bump them to #2 with a shot at the title until they get beat.

cheesemn

I haven't seen Pophal from Merrill, injured?

head57

Has been out with a shoulder injury. Should be back in the lineup real soon.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!