Carlos Gomez - Gold Glove Winner

Started by DrSnide, October 29, 2013, 08:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSnide

Gomez win himself a gold glove tonight, well earned honor.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

TomM

That's a guy driving towards his potential.  Those first couple years it did not appear on the horizon.  Good for him!
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

Totally deserved. He's the best CF in baseball with a glove IMO
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Houndhead

Quote from: Ghetto on October 29, 2013, 11:07:42 PM

+1
Gomez was credited with 38 runs saved for his team. McCutchen with 7, and Denard Span with 5.
If Gomez wouldn't have won, the Gold Glove would be nothing more than a popularity contest.

Todd

Quote from: Houndhead on October 30, 2013, 06:04:51 AM

+1
Gomez was credited with 38 runs saved for his team. McCutchen with 7, and Denard Span with 5.
If Gomez wouldn't have won, the Gold Glove would be nothing more than a popularity contest.

Wow, that's an amazing stat!  Well deserved and happy for him.
"This page intentionally left blank".

wrestling for fun

+1

Certainly the best defensive CF this year.   These stats are amazing.  I wish they transfered over to his base running skills. 

bigG

Such great wheels, but poor feel for the bases. He certainly has shown initiative to improve, though. I like this guy.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

He's starting to mature finally. He's always had this type of talent. The Twins gave up on him because he had zero plate discipline and was even worse on the bases.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

I think his speed makes up for the glove play.

I watched him with the Twins and now with the Brewers, he still takes poor jumps on the ball, his angles are not the best but I will have to say he might/could be the fastest player in baseball because with those wheels he can correct bad jumps on the ball and such. He has some serious wheels to say the least!

With that said, congrates to Gomez on the gold glove, well deserved!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Street Glide

+1

Wow, amazing stat.  Such a wide gap, where is this stat from?

Houndhead

Quote from: littleguy301 on November 03, 2013, 07:57:22 AM

I watched him with the Twins and now with the Brewers, he still takes poor jumps on the ball, his angles are not the best but I will have to say he might/could be the fastest player in baseball because with those wheels he can correct bad jumps on the ball and such. He has some serious wheels to say the least!

I have to disagree, at first I thought the same about Gomez defense, but after watching  many Brewers games the last couple years, I think Gomez gets a great jump on balls and takes the right angles. He is just a great defensive player. He make a lot of plays look routine that other outfielders would never be able to make.

Houndhead

Quote from: Street Glide on November 03, 2013, 08:07:10 AM

+1

Wow, amazing stat.  Such a wide gap, where is this stat from?
Gomez also was credited with 38 defensive runs saved, a metric created by The Fielding Bible, which led all centerfielders in the major leagues. Over the last three years he's combined to save 56 runs, which is 19 more than Detroit's Austin Jackson , the next-closest.

McCutchen

littleguy301

Quote from: Houndhead on November 03, 2013, 10:02:38 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on November 03, 2013, 07:57:22 AM

I have to disagree, at first I thought the same about Gomez defense, but after watching  many Brewers games the last couple years, I think Gomez gets a great jump on balls and takes the right angles. He is just a great defensive player. He make a lot of plays look routine that other outfielders would never be able to make.

He has gotten alot better but I can say that on at least a handful of routine fly balls I have seen or Uker say that Gomez started in and then had to run like mad to get back to the ball.

I can count 2 plays that made the ESPN top 10 plays that he started the wrong way and recovered and made the play. Both plays if he had a jump on the ball they still would have been awesome but to see him take a couple steps forward and then run back and jump over the wall to save a homerun was impressive.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet