Who Planned

Started by wrestler_73, October 29, 2013, 03:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestler_73

Badger Wrestle off & Coaches Clinic on the same day in two very different locations?

BuckyMatt

Quote from: wrestler_73 on October 29, 2013, 03:59:59 PM
Badger Wrestle off & Coaches Clinic on the same day in two very different locations?

Trevor explained the reasoning for the less than ideal timing in the thread "Exhibition Matches Friday".  Not sure why this needed it's own thread?

Ghetto

The WWCA clinic has been scheduled for a long time.

Why not have wrestle offs last week when there was no conflict? Maybe the field house was booked last week too.

Does the new hockey arena have exclusivity? Why not hold them there? It seats what, 3000?
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

hammen

Hockey arena would not be an option - they practice there, they play there, and the amount of labor to change the floor makes it a hassle. Not really sure what the problem is - It's much nicer for the athletes to wrestle this at home like Trevor said - with a young team you want them to get a feel for preparing for a home meet.

cubfan

From my understanding they were going to have wrestle-offs Sat. night in the Barn originally.  Coach Davis I believe was informed that there was a scheduling conflict with another program and would have to change it to Friday evening.  It's unfortunate that this happened but in a previous post, "You're not going to make everyone happy".  Coaches can go to their clinic and the Wisconsin Wrestling Fans can come to wrestle-offs.  Guess we'll just see all of those coaches Nov. 15th at UW Whitewater or Dec. 6 at the Fieldhouse vs. Illinois.

Todd

Quote from: cubfan on October 30, 2013, 07:31:59 AM
From my understanding they were going to have wrestle-offs Sat. night in the Barn originally.  Coach Davis I believe was informed that there was a scheduling conflict with another program and would have to change it to Friday evening.  It's unfortunate that this happened but in a previous post, "You're not going to make everyone happy".  Coaches can go to their clinic and the Wisconsin Wrestling Fans can come to wrestle-offs.  Guess we'll just see all of those coaches Nov. 15th at UW Whitewater or Dec. 6 at the Fieldhouse vs. Illinois.

If the goal is to build a bigger fan base I think you schedule it when you would attract the most people.  No, you can't make everyone happy but you can choose a way to make MORE people happy.  What was wrong with Sunday at the barn or field house?  I can't imagine what "program" would trump the wrestling team if it wasn't Hockey or BB. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

Ghetto

I'm just going to say it. Its a bad weekend to have it. Having it the same weekend is a marketing blunder. Your most captive audience is going to be in Green Bay. Those coaches may have made a trip with their teams, which creates more fans, which creates more buzz, which creates more fans, which makes WI a bigger destination for our kids.

We WANT our only D1 program to be great. That's why we complain. It's constructive criticism and nothing else. Coaches shouldn't have to choose, especially if its the only time in a month we'd be able to see them at home (UWW is close enough however, as a "home" meet).

Todd

Quote from: Ghetto on October 30, 2013, 09:06:44 AM
I'm just going to say it. Its a bad weekend to have it. Having it the same weekend is a marketing blunder. Your most captive audience is going to be in Green Bay. Those coaches may have made a trip with their teams, which creates more fans, which creates more buzz, which creates more fans, which makes WI a bigger destination for our kids.

We WANT our only D1 program to be great. That's why we complain. It's constructive criticism and nothing else. Coaches shouldn't have to choose, especially if its the only time in a month we'd be able to see them at home (UWW is close enough however, as a "home" meet).

+1

The Green bay Game isn't until Monday so I don't know why Sunday couldn't have worked and not been on a weekday.  It gives someone no time to travel to get to Madison and watch the Wrestle offs.  Eh, either way I guess I'll be watching with my son, over dinner instead of the Field house. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

cubfan

Todd, you do understand that the Volleyball team has 1st dibs on the Fieldhouse, correct?

I agree, it is a bad weekend to have it.   But, I would much rather have a chance to see some wrestle-off in WI as opposed to having to travel to an Open tournament, out of state and watch these guys wrestle to see who wins the spot like quite a few D1 teams do. 

crossface21

It wasn't that long ago that UW would actually wrestle a dual at the Coaches Clinic, so I assume wrestle-offs would have been held earlier. Now without looking at when the first day of practice was, or was allowed, maybe it wasn't possible this year because everything seems to be later in the calendar year?

hanbil

Maybe the coaches clinic should move to Madison in the future and have wrestle-offs, at the field house, in conjunction with the coaches clinic.

Ghetto

Quote from: hanbil on October 30, 2013, 03:18:04 PM
Maybe the coaches clinic should move to Madison in the future and have wrestle-offs, at the field house, in conjunction with the coaches clinic.

Wouldn't be too hard to coordinate. Goes right along with Coach Davis' effort to develop a statewide network.

DocWrestling

Is everyone going to make the same argument when the Big Ten tournament in Madison is held the same weekend as WWW youth "qualifiers" are (formerly call regionals)?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Ghetto

That's apples and oranges. The Big Ten championships are fixed on a certain date. Wrestle offs don't have to be.

Ino

Quote from: DocWrestling on October 30, 2013, 03:49:03 PM
Is everyone going to make the same argument when the Big Ten tournament in Madison is held the same weekend as WWW youth "qualifiers" are (formerly call regionals)?

Two different weekends.  WWF tournaments are on 3/15/14, but the WIAA team state tournament is the same weekend as the Big 10's and no one should complain about that.