Exhibition matches this Friday

Started by TBrandvold, October 29, 2013, 11:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBrandvold

I hope everyone's having a great start to your week!  It's a big week here in Madison as it is the last week we have until our 1st competition week.  There's a lot of excitement for the season to start... The guys are getting primed and ready to wrestle some outside competition.

Tonight we will be having some matches in the room to determine and finalize all the matches on Friday.  I will post the results of those as soon as they're finished... we start at 5:45 and as always you're more than welcome to come up to the room and check them out for yourselves. 

Here's how we are approaching this Friday... these matches are mainly for our guys to experience a week of getting their weight down and simulating a week leading up to a Friday dual.  We do have weights where we need to see how the guys do against each other in a competitive setting.  Ultimately we are going to put out the athlete that we feel has the best chance to beat outside competition.  These matches on Friday will help be a guideline but won't necessarily determine who will start the whole season.  We hope to put on a good show and continue to build on the excitement for the season but the ultimate goal is to get the guys ready for the season.  We also want to make sure we get as many of our guys a chance to get out on the mat as we can so there should be around 14 matches.

So far the tentative match ups look like this...

125- R. Taylor vs. M. Cavallaris
133- T. Graff vs. G. Grahek
141- J. Thielke vs. T. Glenn
149- TJ Ruschell vs. R. Lubeck
157- I. Jordan vs. J. Weber
165- Winner of F. Cousins v. S. Cathery and Winner of B. Cox v. A. Yde
165- Loser of F. Cousins v. S. Cathery and loser of B. Cox v. A. Yde
174- Sc. Liegel vs. B. Hochstaetter and N. Veling
184- J. Hein vs. D. Iczkowski and B. Weber
197- T. McCall vs. E. Peissig
HWT- C. Medbery vs. B. Horwath
Se. Liegel vs. J. Donar
R. Robertson vs. D. Iczkowski or B. Weber
J. Stilling vs. B. Hochstaetter or N. Veling

We know that this Friday is a tough time to have the matches... I will be going back and forth on Friday and Saturday to the Coaches Clinic and Madison but we had a scheduling conflict with the field house and Thursday night.  We will also be on the road the 1st 4 weeks of the season so as having the wrestle offs in GB seems like a "no brainer" it is best for our athletes to get to go through a home match feel with weigh ins, warm ups, and wrestling in the field house before our 1st home dual vs. Illinois Dec. 6th.  With so many potentially young starters it is good to get a simulation in before an actual competition.

We are excited for the season! Hope to see you all either here Friday night at 7pm or up in Green Bay sometime throughout the day Friday or Saturday.

ankle pick

BuckyMatt

No Thielke versus Graff???  That could have been a huge draw!

bkraus

That looks like a great night of action!
Strive for Perfection

cubfan

Can't wait to see this group hit the mat.  Should be some great wrestle-offs. 

Thanks Trevor.

bkraus

Does anyone know if Shane or uwbadgers.com is covering this?
Strive for Perfection

cubfan

Shane will be at the Coaches Clinic, but will have a camera man there to catch all the action.  You can also watch all the matches streamed live on the Badgers website.  However, I'm sure Barry and Co. would much rather have you there in person.

cubfan

I know the coaches clinic should...what were they thinking???

bkraus

I like how the coaches at UW are doing this to get the guys ready for a home dual.  Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.  It just happens that these events fall on the same day.
Strive for Perfection

Todd

Quote from: cubfan on October 29, 2013, 01:53:07 PM
Shane will be at the Coaches Clinic, but will have a camera man there to catch all the action.  You can also watch all the matches streamed live on the Badgers website.  However, I'm sure Barry and Co. would much rather have you there in person.

Would love to bring my son but scheduling as it is, no way I can get out there in time on a Friday so we'll be streaming it.
"This page intentionally left blank".

woody53

Thank you Trevor. Great representation of our program. Will not be able to please everyone, but the coaches are doing what is right for the "Student Athlete". That is what is most important. Looking forward to Friday night in Madison.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

BOURNE

Any results from tonight's matches?

badgerjohn

Quote from: BOURNE on October 29, 2013, 07:43:35 PM
Any results from tonight's matches?

F. Cousins
B. Cox
B. Hochstaetter
D. Iczkowski
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

mkm13

Crone injured?

It looks like a few of the closer more competitive matches will be Lubeck/Ruschell, Cousins/Cox, and Liegel/Donar.

It will be interesting to see who steps up and takes the spot between Lubeck and Ruschell.  Based on results last year, it would appear Lubeck may be tough to beat out. 

Hope the transition back to folkstyle has been going well for Thielke.

ankle pick

Didn't Ruschell beat Lubeck at an open tourney last year?