AWN 2013-14 Preseason Division I College Wrestling Rankings; October 15, 2013

Started by TomM, October 15, 2013, 03:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

AWN 2013-14 Preseason Division I College Wrestling Rankings; October 15, 2013

on October 15, 2013 2:14 pm in AWN Rankings, College Rankings, Division I, The Lead / no comments

AWN_D1_RANKING

Amateur Wrestling News has released its initial Division I Individual College Wrestling Rankings for the 2013-14 season. AWN, the longest-running publication in the country devoted to covering all phases of amateur wrestling, will be releasing its rankings on Tuesdays during the wrestling season. Each week, AWN will list the ranked wrestlers with their record and previous ranking.

Eight past NCAA champions sit atop the preseason rankings. NCAA champions from 2013 Jesse Delgado (Illinois), Logan Stieber (Ohio State), Kendric Maple (Oklahoma), Derek St. John (Iowa), Chris Perry (Oklahoma State), Ed Ruth (Penn State) and Tony Nelson (Minnesota) enter the season ranked No. 1. Previous NCAA champion David Taylor of Penn State is ranked No. 1 at 165 pounds, while 2010 NCAA champion Andrew Howe of Oklahoma is ranked second at 174 pounds.

Stieber and Maple move up a weight class. Stieber, a two-time NCAA champion at 133 pounds, will wrestle at 141 pounds this season, while Maple, last year
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

dad 2 5

5 ranked to start the season is a good place to start. I think we will add at least one with Taylor. And maybe an outside shot at 74 if Dylan healthy. Is he?

Gutwrench

I'm looking forward to what Scotty Liegel can do this year.  He did such a solid job last year.  It would be great to see him take the next step.

I'm looking forward to 149 weight class as well.  Who will emerge there?  How well will they do?

Go Badgers!

hammen

Seems like it's York, Lubeck and Ruschell. Right now I would give York the nod just based on experience. Just remember that Lubeck is a beast and has the potential to be in the top 20 mix come March.

ankle pick

Quote from: hammen on October 16, 2013, 09:08:31 AM
Seems like it's York, Lubeck and Ruschell. Right now I would give York the nod just based on experience. Just remember that Lubeck is a beast and has the potential to be in the top 20 mix come March.

So how do they do that come wrestle off time?    Ruschell vs Lubeck,  winner gets York?

DocWrestling

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

npope

I thought Rutt was at 184. Also, not ranking Howe #1 is a bit goofy - I don't care who Perry is.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

zugzoo

Quote from: npope on October 16, 2013, 11:39:30 AM
I thought Rutt was at 184. Also, not ranking Howe #1 is a bit goofy - I don't care who Perry is.

Perry is the most current 174# NCAA Champion. Howe last won his NCAA title in 2010, and the following year placed 3rd (injury, we know, but results are results) and this was at 165#. Howe has only competed at 174# a few times.

With that being said, I can see the arguments for both placing him at #1(Intermat) & #2 (AWN)
Quote from: howaviYour reward for winning Sectionals: Weston Olund Merrill 11-2 12  vs Jesse Thielke Germantown 39-1 10