what high school success tranfers into badger success?

Started by shakerag, October 12, 2013, 03:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakerag

i'm stealing an idea from the infamous coconut joe and have been consulting with a panel of experts this evening.

we're wondering what kind of credentials a kid needs to earn in high school to guarantee success as a badger?

discuss.

Ghetto

The panel of "experts" inside my head says that its not the credentials but rather the desire to outwork guys in the room and improve. Of course success at Fargo or any other big tournament is a pretty good indicator.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

hammen

Ghetto hit on important points. Desire to improve each day is huge, not just going through the motions. Always looking for ways to improve, finding a routine that works for you and sticking to it, being engaged and growing from each workout. Learning from your coaches and teammates and asking questions to pick apart technique is also important. Lots of things contribute to college success, but I would say dedication, desire to achieve your goals, and attitude towards each workout are probably the most important.

BuckyMatt

I always liked Matt Demaray's quote (on a poster I had)

"I believe that the key to success lies in your determination to strive for continuous improvement on a daily basis"

harley

What is your definition of "guarantee success" ??? ???

I would think that might vary from wrestler to wrestler and also it may not be what said wrestler thinks compared to your panel of experts!!!

zugzoo

Quote from: shakerag on October 12, 2013, 11:03:42 AM
I think at least two conference titles are important and placing at state is helpful as well.  attending badger wrestling camps is also a good booster.

I think doing well in Fargo and other national tournaments is probably the best factor. Then how well you do during the season against other nationally ranked kids, and then state titles. I don't think conference titles really matter to be honest.
Quote from: howaviYour reward for winning Sectionals: Weston Olund Merrill 11-2 12  vs Jesse Thielke Germantown 39-1 10

aarons23

I think you have to have a couple of youth state titles and a national title in second or third grade should seal the deal. :P
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Ghetto

Quote from: aarons23 on October 12, 2013, 03:17:36 PM
I think you have to have a couple of youth state titles and a national title in second or third grade should seal the deal. :P

;D ;D
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

whatever

In Madison, I think you might also need athletes with an aversion to alcohol.......as well as good -looking women, to a lesser degree.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

BuckyMatt

Quote from: whatever on October 12, 2013, 04:20:52 PM
In Madison, I think you might also need athletes with an aversion to alcohol.......as well as good -looking women, to a lesser degree.

Or a kid who is hungrier for wrestling success than hungry to catch a buzz or get with a girl

dad 2 5

There are no guarantees as none of us know when injured can derail things but I think good grades in high school is the first priority; then look at the kids that is in the gym early and stays late; i think they look at guys that have worked in more then just wrestling (like football, track, etc...); next listens to coaches in school and at camps and then success on the mat local, state, and national; I think they also want guys that have been proven leaders in the room and out. I know that is a high bar but we are talking a top 30 or better program in the country. To move to a top 20 year in and year out they will begin to look for nation success and rankings.

hammen

Quote from: coconut joe on October 15, 2013, 07:26:54 PM
We would argue that talent is one of, if not the most important factor in finding success.  With success defined as being an AA or national champion. Also, we're not just talking about knowing a bunch of moves but being talented athlete.  Can you jump high?  Can you jump far?  Can you do a standing back flip? And so on and so fourth. 

Yes, hard work and all that other stuff comes into play but talent is the trump card.  Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

If I had to pick between the two attributes, I would take a hard worker over a naturally athletic/talented guy. I know most D1 coaches would agree.

DocWrestling

Academics is huge because if that part of a student-athlete's life is stable and easier than for some, more focus can be placed on wrestling.

Then you need some talent but this is variable because many wrestlers peak in high school and others can peak further in college even if they were not HS studs.

Then the real difference maker is dedication.  Wrestling and weight cutting are not easy and a lot of sacrifices have to be made.  Is someone willing to make those sacrifices.  Very few are and they should be commended for it.

Mental toughness is also a big part to get through the rough days, skipped meals, and injuries

Any wrestler that has the dedication to wrestle D1 for 4-5 years has my highest amount of respect no matter whether it translated into victories on the mat or huge accolades.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!