2013 CWC Returners

Started by padre, October 09, 2013, 04:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

padre

It's early and there are a couple teams in the conference that are looking to make some long runs in the WIAA football play-offs....but for some of us we are headed into the next season soon.  Here's what we have to look forward to....

1. Wittenberg-Birnamwood- 12 returning starters   8 returning finalists

The Chargers bring their best dual team ever into the 2013-2014 campaign led by state placewinners Braxton Potrykus(4th), Ben Vosters(4th) and August Peplinski(6th) along with last year's conference finalists Bobby Uttecht(past state qualifier), Gavin Czerwonka, Hunter Kreger, Brenden Randall and Jesse Sprague.  Staying healthy will be key to their success.

Key Losses:   Cody Kasprak

Freshmen with impact: Alex Peplinski, Stetson Potrykus

Others to watch: Mason Enjian(out with injury early last year), Zach Urquhart, Griffin Magee

2.  Bonduel-        11 returning starters              3 returning finalists

The Bears return a majority of their team which should relate to being a good dual team.  Bonduel will be led by state qualifiers Garret Siolka and Jacob Wudtke.  Conference finalist Austin Siolka will also be crucial to the teams success.

Key Losses: Joey Tauchen, Derek Liebergen

Others to watch:  Danny Tauchen

3.  Shiocton         7 returning starters            4 returning finalists

Shiocton returns some excellent wrestlers that will help them in tournament settings and will need to fill in the holes to see success in the dual portion of the season and to move ahead of Bonduel in the conference race.  State placewinner Austin Riehl(4th) and qualifier Henry Fielding lead the way along with conference finalists Dominic Gunderson and Mason Gomm.

Key Losses:  Zech Riehl, Jacob Dahlke, Danny Erickson

Freshman with impact:  Trevor Young

Others to watch:  Garrett Gunderson

4.  Manawa                 9 returning starters                                   2 returning finalists

The Wolves have made great strides into getting to the top 1/3 of the conference by filling weight classes and having some top tier wrestlers score big points at tournaments.  State placewinner Casey Johnson(6th) and conference champion Garret Griffin will lead their charge.

5.  Menominee              9 returning starters                                  0 returning finalists

Menominee continues to carry good numbers throughout their program and were able score very well in last year's tournament.  If the team can continue their improvement they will contend to get into the top three teams.

Key Losses:   Donald Toutillot

6.  Rosholt                   9 returning starters                                  0 returning finalists

The Hornets bring back quite a bit of their team.  Hopefully the kids got a lot of good experience on the varsity level and can make some big strides this year.

Key Loss: Dwight Groshek

7.  Amherst                6 returning starters                                  0 returning finalists
The Falcons lost about half of their starters to graduation last year and will attempt to rebuild the line-up.

Key Losses: Logan Hermsen, Nick Emery

8. Almond-Bancroft/Pacelli       7 returning starters                      1 returning finalist

The top of the line-up looks strong with Jack Lawlis and Cole Warzynski along with a bunch of young wrestlers who got tons of experience last year.  The team could move up the ranks on the right day.

9.  Wega-Fremont                 4 returning starters                       0 returning finalist

Much like the rest of the bottom half of the conference much will depend on filling weight classes.  Oliver Radtke and Brandon Loehrke should place high but the team will need more depth to get in the top half.

10.  Tri-County              

The Penguins will need to regroup and try to get numbers before they will be competitive.

I think the depth of high quality wrestlers has gone down a bit.  However, I do also think the conference could get upwards of 15 state qualifiers also.

Tommy Gun

Man Padre -  You have done you home work.   Less than month away.  Can't wait to see the action this year.   Best of luck
Wittenberg looks like a very solid team again.  It will be a battle for 2nd/3rd place this year.

PopDaBubble

Can always count on Padre to deliver a great report on the conference. I think your assessment in pretty much right on again this year. Amherst may unfortunately be a bit lower than 7th this season as it sounds like Groshek and a couple others are going basketball this season :( You've put together a beast over there in Wittenberg and hope your guys can break through this season in the playoffs.

padre

Quote from: PopDaBubble on November 12, 2013, 05:15:40 PM
Can always count on Padre to deliver a great report on the conference. I think your assessment in pretty much right on again this year. Amherst may unfortunately be a bit lower than 7th this season as it sounds like Groshek and a couple others are going basketball this season :( You've put together a beast over there in Wittenberg and hope your guys can break through this season in the playoffs.

I think 6th and below could go any way depending on the weekend.  The conference is going to be a bit light this year overall...some real good individuals to keep an eye on though.  Some real good possibilities for the conference to get a state finalist or two.

I did notice a former Amherst alum wrestling last Saturday and seemed to be holding his own.  Glad to see him continue. ;D

Speaking of beasts....good luck to the Falcons and Chiefs this weekend in the football play-offs!!!!!!!!!!

PopDaBubble

Man Padre nothing wrestling in Wisconsin gets past you :) I was a little worried about how he'd do at the college level but he certainly isn't embarrassing himself and looks like he belongs out there. I'm sure hoping the Amherst and Shiocton wrestling rooms will be a bit quiet until next Friday!!

padre

With most of the fat tests in I did notice that teams did a real good job of upping their numbers for the most part.  Hopefully the kids will stick with the sport and the duals this year will have full(or nearly) teams.  Manawa, Menominee, Rosholt, Wega and Tri-County all seemed to test more than most expected.  This should make the dual portion and tournament much more interesting.

padre

Quote from: PopDaBubble on November 14, 2013, 07:27:18 PM
Man Padre nothing wrestling in Wisconsin gets past you :) I was a little worried about how he'd do at the college level but he certainly isn't embarrassing himself and looks like he belongs out there. I'm sure hoping the Amherst and Shiocton wrestling rooms will be a bit quiet until next Friday!!

Got a takedown against Nazar...had to be happy about that.  ;D

cherrypoint119

Now with Xmas behind us and we had a chance to see teams wrestle, how do do you see the conference shaking up. 

Willie

Top 4 are pretty cut and dry in my mind.
W-b
Bonduel
Shiocton
M-I

padre

Quote from: Willie on December 26, 2013, 04:37:18 PM
Top 4 are pretty cut and dry in my mind.
W-b
Bonduel
Shiocton
M-I

I would agree with that.  Next 6 teams could go in almost any order on any given Saturday.

matman

It's still early yet but just a prediction...
106 Potrykus WB over Gunderson BON
113 Urqhart WB over Siolka BON
120 Vosters WB over Siolka BON
126 Uttecht WB over Wollenberg BON
132 Winker MI over Radtke WEGA
138 Riehl SHI over Claussen MAN
145 Randal WB over Kroening BON
152 Potrykus WB over Tauchen BON
160 Griffin MAN over Sokolski BON
170 Peplinski WB over Loehrke WEGA
182 Kregar WB over Wudtke BON
195 Peplinski WB over Gunderson SHI
220 Johnson MAN over Stringfellow WB
285 Warzynski AB/P over Whitewing WB

WB wins the team title with Bonduel in second. Just my prediction after the holiday tournaments. 152-182 will be interesting to see how things shake out. Team wise I fell CWC is down a little bit this year. WB is looking tough as they have ever been this year though, it will be interesting to see if they can make it through the meat grinder sectionals as a team with teams like Casco, Oconto Falls, Two Rivers and Freedom all competing to get to team state. Also looking at possible weight changes it will also be interesting seeing where kids actually are wrestling at come the end of the year.

Willie

I know it's a prediction, but do some research before you post! Wudtke is at 170 already and shiocton will have more then 2 finalists!

padre

There will be weight changes I would imagine before the end but a somewhat intelligent guess at this point of the season for finals would be:

106- Potrykus W-B/Gunderson Bonduel
113- Urquhart W-B/ Siolka Bonduel
120- Vosters W-B/ Siolka Bonduel
126- Czerwonka W-B/Wollenberg Bonduel
132- Uttecht W-B/ Winker Menominee
138- Riehl Shiocton/ Radtke Wega
145- Randall W-B/ Mahkimetas Menominee
152- Tauchen Bonduel/Gunderson Shiocton
160- Potrykus W-B/ Griffin Manawa
170- Peplinski W-B/ Wudtke Bonduel/Gomm Shiocton/Loerke Wega
182- Kreger W-B/Fielding Shiocton
195- Peplinski W-B/ Gunderson Shiocton
220- Lawlis Pacelli/ Johnson Manawa
285- Warzynski Pacelli/ Whitewing W-B

I'm sure I missed a few that have a good shot at finals but we have not seen a lot of the conference yet.