Da' Bears!

Started by imnofish, September 22, 2013, 11:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: howavi on October 12, 2013, 05:25:42 PM
He did go out of bounds (you can credit that to me) and yet is regarded as one of the hardest running RBs there was.

I distinctly remember him sticking the football out for more yards running out of bounds. Smart. And he was tough, he missed one game in 13 yrs.

As a fan of our players NOT getting injured I don't see what the big deal is about running out of bounds.  While I don't mind the Donald Driver I'm gonna fight for every yard mentality while you're in the middle of the field if you're on the sidelines and going to take a hit or could just step out of bound, I opt for preserving the body and going out!

That means you Lacy, Rodgers and all of the able bodied receivers on this team!!!
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

Quote from: whatever on October 12, 2013, 06:29:59 PM
Well now you're arguing semantics, Howavi.  Yes, Payton did run out of bounds - every running back at some point, runs out of bounds because they have a head of steam going and maybe can't turn the corner or they bounce off a defender and end up going out of bounds.

To say Payton ran out of bounds seems to be implying that he ran out of bounds to avoid contact or avoid being tackled.

I think that happened with Payton very, very rarely.

Even if that is why someone runs out of bounds to avoid contact again I say, So What?

Todd

Quote from: neutral on October 13, 2013, 07:50:54 PM
Quote from: howavi on October 13, 2013, 09:13:26 AM
Quote from: neutral on October 13, 2013, 07:54:10 AM
Quote from: howavi on October 12, 2013, 08:21:17 PM
Neutral actually said he did to save himself.

He is arguably the best with sanders and brown

I said, "Did Payton ever run out of bounds when there was no more to be gained? ... yes.
Did whatever he saved on that run help him to run through somebody on another play ... you bet."

Reading is no more important than comprehension.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Mine's been gone 27 years ... miss him every day - but he wasn't perfect either ... neither are you or me.

My comprehension is just fine, I agree with what you said, sorry I paraphrased your quote. iPhone the clip on YouTube yesterday that may not actually back up my statement of him going Outabounds but it was a collective colossal statement about the 80's packers looking a lot like 2010 Lions. Mark lee nailing Payton over the bench, ken stills hitting suehy and of course a couple of Charles Martin hits on Jim McMahon.

Don't need you tube ... they're emlazened in my memory.  That was all Forrest Gregg - great player ... one of the worst all-time head coaches.

Emlazened is what happens to my couch due to football season.

neutral

Quote from: bkraus on October 21, 2013, 02:06:50 PM
We have a new employee here at work that played football for Trestman in Montreal.  After playing for him he thinks that Trestman is the perfect guy to lead a NFL team.  His level of attention to detail is outstanding, and given time and the right players, he will change the Bears.  Boy do I hope he is wrong!

Man ... am I ever glad to hear that somebody you know thinks Trestman might be for real - had my doubts right up til then.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

bigoil

Quote from: imnofish on October 21, 2013, 01:09:04 PM
Issues that have plagued the Bears were too great to magically cure in one season.  Their new GM and coaching staff had made some positive steps, but it's going to take time.  Anyone who expected more than that was guilty of extreme naivete or wishful thinking.

Didn't you start this thread with a post stating the Bears were undefeated? Were you naive at that moment of weakness ?

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on September 23, 2013, 06:24:28 AM
I love it when they start out so impressively, and Chicago fans are on cloud nine. Then reality hits.

+1000000 ;D

imnofish

Quote from: howavi on October 21, 2013, 10:04:21 PM
Issues that have plagued the Bears were too great to magically cure in one season.  Their new GM and coaching staff had made some positive steps, but it's going to take time.  Anyone who expected more than that was guilty of extreme naivete or wishful thinking.

Didn't you start this thread with a post stating the Bears were undefeated? Were you naive at that moment of weakness ?

I posted a link to an article about the Bears, but this is from my first comment in this thread: "...Are the Bears at the pinnacle, yet?  No, but they are improving.  No shame in supporting your team, whether you are a Packer fan or a Bear fan."  I am a fan, but I'm certainly not naive about where the Bears are at this point; nor was I when I started this thread.  As for their injury situation, nobody could anticipate that. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

I sometimes worry that younger Packer fans have been waaaay spoiled.

I'm a Brewer fan, too, so the pain isn't a mystery.

Still, it's all petty crap compared to wrestling.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

Quote from: imnofish on October 21, 2013, 11:04:16 PM
Quote from: howavi on October 21, 2013, 10:04:21 PM

I posted a link to an article about the Bears, but this is from my first comment in this thread: "...Are the Bears at the pinnacle, yet?  No, but they are improving.  No shame in supporting your team, whether you are a Packer fan or a Bear fan."  I am a fan, but I'm certainly not naive about where the Bears are at this point; nor was I when I started this thread.  As for their injury situation, nobody could anticipate that. 

Cutler hasn't started a full season since his first one with the Bears. You should have expected him to miss some time.

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on October 22, 2013, 06:14:59 AM

I tell my stepson that all the time. Many, many very poor years from the Packers, Brewers, and Badger football and basketball teams. The last 20 years have been much more enjoyable. Thank you Ron Wolf, Ted Thompson, Mike Holmgren, Mike McCarthy, Pat Richter, Barry Alverez, Dick Bennett, Bo Ryan, Mark A, Doug Melvin, Brett Favre, and Aaron Rodgers.

bigG

I'd also like to thank my boyhood baseball hero, Don Money. The greatest the game, or at least this guy, has ever known.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigoil

Houndhead

Quote from: howavi on October 22, 2013, 07:12:57 AM
You missed Bob Harlan!

I was thinking Bob Harlan, does that count? ;D

neutral

Quote from: Houndhead on October 22, 2013, 06:22:10 AM

I tell my stepson that all the time. Many, many very poor years from the Packers, Brewers, and Badger football and basketball teams. The last 20 years have been much more enjoyable. Thank you Ron Wolf, Ted Thompson, Mike Holmgren, Mike McCarthy, Pat Richter, Barry Alverez, Dick Bennett, Bo Ryan, Mark A, Doug Melvin, Brett Favre, and Aaron Rodgers.

"Many, many very poor years from the Packers, Brewers, and Badger football and basketball teams."

All that - and all you learned from it it (and pass on to your stepson) was/(is) to kick a man when he's down? ... reminds me of a quote (can't think of who's) ... (something like) what a man says & does reveals the true nature of his character.

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Todd

I agree on the spoiled comment however if you're over 30 it's ok to do a little chest thumping considering all those terrible years in the 80's and mid-late 70's.  

Also, I'm a Brewer and a Bucks fan too but the difference being unlike Bear or Cubs fans I don't come in thinking those teams are going to win the division. I'm not delusional.