And they didn't have enough money for wrestling

Started by Handles II, September 06, 2013, 11:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

Quote from: npope on September 08, 2013, 05:53:07 AM
I understand the ties that Nike had to the UO and some of the AD, but wasn't all of this really a UO decision? I don't think Nike was part of the motivation to drop wrestling (and add baseball) but rather, Nike simply didn't care about those decisions and was very happy to hitch its wagon to the existing UO athletic program. So being all upset with Nike seems a bit misguided to me; crucify the UO decision makers if you want to really punish the responsible parties.

All that said, money talks. Football is the money machine. What happened at UO is merely a reflection of what NCAA sports have become...and what we all rabidly cheer for and support every fall weekend. You get what you pay for.

My main beef with Nike has to do with them not making wrestling shoes, and is compounded by the huge amounts of money they pile into Oregon football while ignoring wrestling.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigoil

wraslfan

Quote from: Ghetto on September 08, 2013, 02:15:17 PM
Quote from: npope on September 08, 2013, 05:53:07 AM
I understand the ties that Nike had to the UO and some of the AD, but wasn't all of this really a UO decision? I don't think Nike was part of the motivation to drop wrestling (and add baseball) but rather, Nike simply didn't care about those decisions and was very happy to hitch its wagon to the existing UO athletic program. So being all upset with Nike seems a bit misguided to me; crucify the UO decision makers if you want to really punish the responsible parties.

All that said, money talks. Football is the money machine. What happened at UO is merely a reflection of what NCAA sports have become...and what we all rabidly cheer for and support every fall weekend. You get what you pay for.

My main beef with Nike has to do with them not making wrestling shoes, and is compounded by the huge amounts of money they pile into Oregon football while ignoring wrestling.
Exactly. If Adidas and Ascics make money? My motivation is as much to support the brands...that support the sport of wrestling.

kmoc33

Did Nike give money to the athletic department and they choose what to spend it on, or did Nike tell them what to spend the money on? I believe Nike gave them the money knowing what it was going to be used for but the university didnt fight to use the money to save wrestling. Which again leads me to believe your anger should be to UO and not Nike. Could Nike have fought for wrestling, and said you must use some to save the wrestling program, yes! But wrestling doesn't make them money and football and baseball do.

I followed Nike on twitter just to see those pics. I think that if your unhappy with a company that is a great idea to get there attention, and make others aware. (Even though I don't agree with your stance against Nike, I like the method your using to make others aware)

Ghetto

Check twitter tonight. I haven't done the kid's school shoes yet

wrestlinglife1

I understand the argument on both sides, honestly. Let's make one thing clear though, Nike Wrestling shoes are the worst thing to put on your Wrestler's feet. Those things were cheap and horrible. No traction.

bkraus

As someone who has spent considerable time in the Pacific NW, and has grown a disdain for most things Oregon, let's just get rid of the whole thing!   ;)  I do understand that the University makes most of its athletic operating budget through football and major sponsors which in U of O' s case is Nike.  I just want them to come out and say it honestly.  It was title 9, not money that cost wrestling at Oregon.  They wanted baseball and in order to keep operating within the rules of the NCAA they had to cut one men's sport.  Looking at PAC-12 participation, wrestling is not a popular sport.  It was an easy choice for them to make.  I just wish they didn't hide behind the cost of the sport as their excuse.  

As for not buying Nike, I firmly agree.  Not that I bought them before, but I am dead set against buying Nike now that they no longer make wrestling shoes.
Strive for Perfection

Todd

Quote from: howavi on September 08, 2013, 09:42:18 AM
I am now going to follow Nike just to get Ghettos tweets cuz that his hilarious.

Lets make UW Under Armour University, I think I own 2/3 of the company based on what I see in my house.

+1 funny funny reason to follow Nike!
"This page intentionally left blank".

Ghetto

Ghetto

The kids were at their moms last night and apparently needed to wear shoes. Ill tweet my anti Nike tonight

Todd

"This page intentionally left blank".

bkraus

Strive for Perfection

Ghetto

@wfbcoach

I'm inspirational.  ;D Actually I just retweet other inspirational thoughts, cuz they put into words so much better than me.  ;D

bkraus

Strive for Perfection