And they didn't have enough money for wrestling

Started by Handles II, September 06, 2013, 11:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handles II

http://www.stack.com/2013/08/02/university-of-oregon-football-facility/

Oh and fyi for all you that support nike (and therefore U of O athletic department and it's decision making process), Nike has decided to stop making wrestling shoes.
Haven't bought nike in over 14 years, won't.
Kudos to UW for ditching them a few years ago. Wish that would have got more press.

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Let 'em blow their bucks. Bringing fashion to NCAA sports. I still think most athletes are best served by slightly smaller schools which stress the "student" in student-athlete a bit more. Throw in some character building to boot and you have a well-rounded young adult.

In wrestling I think of our nice little UW schools and some of the private schools. We're lucky in WI to have that sort of system. I think the best D1 wrestlers would have been champs no matter what kind of facility they trained in. Just not the glitz of a pretty workout room. Any room can hold blood sweat and tears; even a machine shed, or basement, with some beat up rasslin' mats.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

I stopped buying myself and the kids Nikes too. If you can't make wrestling shoes I can't wear your other types. Support folks that support the sport.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigoil

What team does Under Armour sponsor?

Aside from that, Oregon Football did not drop wrestling, baseball did.

Ghetto

Oregon dropped wrestling. It's that simple. There's money for it, they just choose not to fund it.

bigoil

There are something like 120 NCAA d1 FB schools, 325 BB schools.

There's enough money at UW for baseball too.

Ghetto

Yep. And it's bull that they don't have baseball at UW

wraslfan

Quote from: Ghetto on September 07, 2013, 03:23:17 PM
I stopped buying myself and the kids Nikes too. If you can't make wrestling shoes I can't wear your other types. Support folks that support the sport.
I'm joining you. Adidas, or Ascics for me now.

Ghetto

It all starts with something. Idk if Nike will give a tip, but if enough people make a statement...

kmoc33

What does Nike shoes have to do with Oregon dropping wrestling? Nike stopped making the shoes because of a business decision. It's simple they are about making money, if they were making money on wrestling shoes they would continue to make them. Even them giving money to Oregon is advertising to make more money for Nike. I don't believe any of it is connected to Oregon dropping wrestling. Hey Mr. Knight I hope your reading this, I could use a new pair of shoes.

CLC FAN

kmoc33 - it's always dangerous to try to explain someone else's point of view, but I'll take a whack at it.  I think the prevailing feeling is that Nike gives a ton of money to the University of Oregon, and they didn't consider saving the wrestling program worthy of funding, but they did do it to buy a football training facility with a barbershop in it. 

Ghetto

Quote from: CLC FAN on September 07, 2013, 11:30:07 PM
kmoc33 - it's always dangerous to try to explain someone else's point of view, but I'll take a whack at it.  I think the prevailing feeling is that Nike gives a ton of money to the University of Oregon, and they didn't consider saving the wrestling program worthy of funding, but they did do it to buy a football training facility with a barbershop in it. 

You feel me CLC. Exactly on point. Oregon can have 7 variations of their uniform every year, Nike can fund a ridiculous football environment, yet they can't find money for a sport in their back yard that in reality costs very little?

And it is their right to not make shoes. It's our right not to buy them. If enough wrestlers stopped buying their shoes it might make a difference world wide.

Every time I buy a pair of shoes for me or the kids, I tweet Nike with a picture. Anyone that follows Nike on twitter gets my tweet on why I didn't buy Nike. Nike has almost 2 million followers. I let them know every time why I bought Asics, ADIDAS, etc

npope

I understand the ties that Nike had to the UO and some of the AD, but wasn't all of this really a UO decision? I don't think Nike was part of the motivation to drop wrestling (and add baseball) but rather, Nike simply didn't care about those decisions and was very happy to hitch its wagon to the existing UO athletic program. So being all upset with Nike seems a bit misguided to me; crucify the UO decision makers if you want to really punish the responsible parties.

All that said, money talks. Football is the money machine. What happened at UO is merely a reflection of what NCAA sports have become...and what we all rabidly cheer for and support every fall weekend. You get what you pay for.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigoil

I am now going to follow Nike just to get Ghettos tweets cuz that his hilarious.

Lets make UW Under Armour University, I think I own 2/3 of the company based on what I see in my house.