Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

D1CW's Top 100 Recruits Class of 2014--Updated 8/19
http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top100_2014.html

Wisconsin Badgers
2014 Recruiting
Johnny Jimenez-Marmion, Illinois
Projected Weight:  125 LBS
Accomplishments:  2013 Illinois 2A State Champ, 2012 Dvorak Invitational Runner-Up, 2012 Walsh Ironman 3rd Place, 2012 Illinois 2A State Champ, 2012 Walsh Ironman 4th Place, 2011 Illinois 2A State Champ, 2010 Dvorak Invitational Champ

2013 Recruiting
#165 Andrew Crone-Hartland, Wisconsin  (141 LBS)
Gabriel Granek-Marquette, Wisconsin  (141 LBS)
#161 Seth Liegel-Spring Green, Wisconsin  (165/174 LBS)
Austin Moe-Glenwood City, Wisconsin  (141/149 LBS)
Eric Peissig-Menomonie, Wisconsin  (197 LBS)
#39 Ricky Robertson-Orland, Illinois  (184 LBS)
#150 Jake Stilling-Elkhorn, Wisconsin  (174 LBS)
Justin Weber-Lincolnshire, Illinois  (149 LBS)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

mkm13

The 2013 and 2014 Wisconsin high school classes have been missing the elite/top 50 type recruit.  Hopefully we will see a few of those from the younger classes.

Hope UW can add a couple more top 50 type recruits in addition to Jimenez for the 2014 class.  There are a couple Minnesota kids ranked highly that have not committed anywhere I assume we are probably looking at.  I would also think we should be able to bring in a very good 174/184 recruit as it would appear we have a need at those weights.

stp

Mikey at #9 is low.
After he beats Aaron at Ironman he'll jump a few spots.

Quote from: mkm13 on August 21, 2013, 10:34:44 AM
The 2013 and 2014 Wisconsin high school classes have been missing the elite/top 50 type recruit.  Hopefully we will see a few of those from the younger classes.

Hope UW can add a couple more top 50 type recruits in addition to Jimenez for the 2014 class.  

Do you consider AA status "top 50" recruits?   If so UW has two Freshman possibly starting varsity from a small town in Ohio next year.

At the worst it takes both a couple varsity years to reach AA status but UW is on the verge to being one of the top teams in the B10 here in a year or so.  
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

mkm13

I consider top 50 recruits to have a much higher likelihood of being very successful in college.  The big 10 is extremely tough...Minnesota, Iowa, OSU, Penn State, and Illinois will have basically their entire lineup filled with them.  I hope we can get a few of them in this recruiting class as it appears we should have scholarship money available with the guys we lose. 

You are correct, Jordan and Taylor should be very good at UW. 

dad 2 5

Wonder if any of those top 100 are coming in to Madison this weekend? It would be great to pick up some big time recruits to continue to move the program forward.

mkm13

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/recruiting/commitments

Lantz commits.  Him and Jimenez should fill in the lower weights nicely along with the guys we already have.

ankle pick

Glad to see we got some 141 lb guys recruited,  if jesse goes all in on Greco, we have a backup plan.

dad 2 5

so I clicked on the "College" 3 of the top ten to OS and 3 to PSU! WOW both look to out recruited Iowa.

mkm13

That is why it will be important for us to continue to recruit top talent too.  In the big 10, that is the type of talent you will be coming up against.

This class is off to a good start.  It would be great to get 1 or 2 guys yet ranked in the top 100.

cubfan

If you think PSU is going to have a good class coming in this year just wait for next years recruiting class.  They will have a ton of $ that will free up.  Just look at their Junior class: Alton Bros, Matt Brown, Gingrich, Lawson, Megaludis along with about 6 other guys. 

I agree with you MKM.  While it's very important to land WI's best kids, for numerous reasons, it is even more important to land some of the country's best if you want to compete in the B10 let along the NCAA's   

Gutwrench

Yes it will be important to recruit the top wrestlers in the nation for UW to get in the upper tier of the B1G and NCAA.  Right now though the UW staff can really only pitch potential to recruits.  The results on the mat the past couple of years haven't been super great.  There are many factors that point towards better results soon for the UW team, but it's yet to be realized.  Each year of recruiting builds on the success of the previous year.  If the team performs as well as many of us believe it will this year, then I would expect more of the higher ranked kids will come to UW.

You just need to keep the momentum rolling forward.