Ben Askren

Started by billymurphy, July 31, 2013, 10:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

I think he likes it when people doubt him.  I think he thrives on doubters......makes him work harder and smarter just to prove people wrong....so Ben...I think you suck...you got lucky in all your fights and Little AJ would woop your but.    Lol. Hope that helps Ben.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bigoil

I have no idea if Ben is diversified enough in his talents. Guys have been successful against wrestlers with avoiding the ground and pound. Can Ben stand and exchange for 5 rounds?

Coach Lu

Quote from: howavi on August 03, 2013, 09:49:38 AM
I have no idea if Ben is diversified enough in his talents. Guys have been successful against wrestlers with avoiding the ground and pound. Can Ben stand and exchange for 5 rounds?

I can remember preparing to wrestle Ben in High School when he was going after the takedown record.  I was told by people that if I could hang on my feet with him, I would be fine.  Well, I hung on my feet by taking him down a few times, but after he turned me 5 or 6 times the score wasn't even close.  His talents are visible and hidden.  When Ben wants to, he will display whatever talent is needed to win.

JAMMIN

Quote from: howavi on August 03, 2013, 09:49:38 AM

Ben doesn't have to stand and exchange for 5 rounds.  His game is on the ground and he knows that.  The real question is can other fighters prevent the takedown for 5 rounds?

bigoil

Many have done it. If not, guys like Kosheck, Hughes, Couture and even Gracie would be undefeated.

hammen

The older guys have a different wrestling feel than Ben does though - has to be very difficult to train for. I'm not sure his wrestling is comparable to any other wrestling in MMA right now.

bigoil

He's always been different but it is a lot to assume that in the cage that veterans couldn't dictate a different fight. Maybe Ben can stand up with the best of them, maybe he has some unbelievable Muay Tai, I'm just saying I haven't seen it. Somebody is going to come along that will either neutralize, dictate differently, etc. is Ben prepared for that? I read an article about Hendricks when he lost that he only had 1 or maybe 2 plans of attack and when that stopped working he had nothing else to go to. He now has 5-6 plans per fight.

hammen

I don't disagree with that - it definitely takes a versatile attack to be the best in the world. I just don't think Ben has really fought anyone who has challenged him enough to force him to use the other assets of his game. I hope we see it soon - I would pay a lot to watch Ben fight Hendricks or GSP.

whatever

Quote from: howavi on August 04, 2013, 02:17:57 PM
Many have done it. If not, guys like Kosheck, Hughes, Couture and even Gracie would be undefeated.
....add guys like Kevin Randleman and Mark Coleman to that list,  Howavi.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

SP_Coach

Quote from: hammen on August 04, 2013, 09:06:57 PM
I don't disagree with that - it definitely takes a versatile attack to be the best in the world. I just don't think Ben has really fought anyone who has challenged him enough to force him to use the other assets of his game. I hope we see it soon - I would pay a lot to watch Ben fight Hendricks or GSP.
I agree, these fights would be awesome. I would like to see him fight one or two fights with lower ranked guys but feel he could hang in these fights right away.