Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Northwoods

Im gonna miss watchin Ty. He was a bright light! Go Bucky! :-[
Wisconsin wrestling #1

npope

Quote from: Northwoods on June 12, 2013, 03:28:51 AM
Im gonna miss watchin Ty. He was a bright light! Go Bucky! :-[

??? You do know that he still has another year left, right?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

boowrestle

I think northwoods is jumping the gun a little,going to be great to watch tyler go after a national title next season.
you can run but you cannot hide.

Northwoods

Whoops. did not know that. Supreme Awesomeness!   ;)
Wisconsin wrestling #1

imnofish

Good news and well-deserved!  I suspect that Ty will lead Bucky through a breakthrough season this year.  8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

The man is just fun to watch. I'll be yellin' at the TV a lot next season.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

Badger Bits: Wisconsin's 2013 Athlete of the Year
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2013/6/14/4430786/2013-wisconsin-athlete-year-award-montee-ball-brianna-decker-michael-mersch

Wisconsin has a deep pool of athletic talent, but which male and female nominee will win the 2012-13 Athlete of the Year award? Brianna Decker is one of the possible winners.

Wisconsin's athlete standouts go far beyond the gridiron or the basketball court. The non-revenue sports may lack the fanfare and popularity that coincide with football and basketball, but sports like softball, swimming and cross country have sensational athletes, too.

UWBadgers.com is announcing its 2012-13 Athlete of the Year this afternoon, and below is a look at the candidates.

Caitlin Comfort

After her cross country eligibility ended in 2011, Comfort turned her focus to track and the results were phenomenal. She won the 5,000-meter run at the Big Ten indoor championships and the 10,000 meters in the Big Ten outdoor championships back in May. Her winning time of 33:30.16 was 44 seconds better than the second-place finisher -- that's a serious whooping.

Brianna Decker

Decker won the 2012 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award given to the best player in women's collegiate hockey. She was also the 2012 female Athlete of the Year, alongside male winner Montee Ball. This season, Decker followed that up with another outstanding campaign as a senior, scoring 29 goals and tallying 26 assists. Her 55 points ranked 10th-best in the nation.

Maverick Darling

Darling is one of the most decorated runners in Wisconsin and Big Ten history. This season, he was a first-team All-America and All-Big Ten honoree in cross country, indoor track and outdoor track. He also helped the Badgers capture a league-record 14th-consecutive conference title in cross country.

Tyler Graff

Graff's decision to redshirt last season was a wise one. The junior became the ninth three-time All-American in Wisconsin wrestling history. He recorded his best career NCAA championship finish when he placed third at the 133-pound weight class this season. He led the Badgers in wins (33), wins over ranked opponents (14) and Big Ten wins (11).

Ivy Martin

What a sophomore season it was for Martin. The women's sprint swimmer finished sixth in the 50-yard freestyle at the NCAA championships and was a first-team All-Big Ten honoree. She capped off her year by garnering the Madison Sports Hall of Fame Club's Sportswoman of the Year award.

Michael Mersch

The outstanding hockey winger will be an LA King someday, but thankfully we get to enjoy his talents for another year in Madison. During his junior season, Mersch led the Badgers with 23 goals and 36 points. He ranked 11th in the nation in goals per game and was awarded the Spike Carlson Most Valuable Player honor by his teammates.

Drew teDuits

The winner of the 200-yard backstroke (1:38.27) at the 2013 NCAA Championships back in March. His swim was the third-fastest in NCAA history and also set a school record. He'll be just a junior next season so expect even bigger things in the years to come.

Kris Yoo

Wisconsin women's golf made just its second appearance in the NCAA Championships, thanks in large part to the brilliant play of Yoo at the end of the season. She tied for 11th at the NCAA Regional, shooting 1-over par for three rounds. Her final-round 65 set school 18-hole record.

I've tried to find the final two nominees for this high UW honor, but to no avail. There are two athletes that have yet to be named, one male and one female. If I had to make my best guess I'd say the male athlete is Montee Ball and the final female athlete is Mary Massei of the softball team.

Obviously Montee's illustrious career speaks for itself, but I'd like to see this award go to anybody else on the men's side. My vote would go to Maverick Darling. The senior runner has the most impressive body of work to date and he's a senior. Send him off on the right note.

Over on the women's side, the favorite has to be Brianna Decker. She's one of the best hockey players in school history, and she'll be a staple on the women's national team for years to come.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

hammen

Although Tyler is a beast, if he doesn't win the award I hope it goes to Mav. He is a great guy and had one heck of a career at UW, with his most impressive year being this year.

zugzoo

Maybe I'm a little selfish, but I'd love to see Tyler get this award after his senior campaign.
Quote from: howaviYour reward for winning Sectionals: Weston Olund Merrill 11-2 12  vs Jesse Thielke Germantown 39-1 10

Northwoods

Who will be wrestling 133 next year for the Badgers, Theilke or Graff? The reason I ask because it would be nice to see either one of them beat Stieber. Stieber looked unbeatable. Has he been beaten?
Wisconsin wrestling #1

npope

Quote from: Northwoods on June 15, 2013, 03:03:55 AM
Who will be wrestling 133 next year for the Badgers, Theilke or Graff? The reason I ask because it would be nice to see either one of them beat Stieber. Stieber looked unbeatable. Has he been beaten?

Graff beat him about a month ago in freestyle.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

cubfan

Northwoods, how far north are you???  You must have just got your internet hooked up, congrats.  ;)   Yes, Stieber has been beat.  He lost I believe two matches his RSfreshman year one to Dardanes and one to Oliver.  From Tyler's last interview it sounds like he is planning on going 133 next season and Jesse 141, so it looks like Jesse will be the man to hopefully beat him.

Northwoods

So your telling me there's a chance! lol. :)
Wisconsin wrestling #1