Your scar is part of you

Started by Kjohnson, June 08, 2013, 05:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjohnson

Last week my kids and I were sitting around and they mentioned that they have never seen me without a mustache. So I decide, challenge accepted and I shaved. They did noticed that I had a scar about

Todd

Just one, where do I start?  Here's a good one.  I was jumping my Red Line BMX bike at the park across from North High School when I was about 12 or so.  My bike had some bear claw peddles and I took one jump where I pulled up too much and was vertical, I realized my mistake and tried to lean forward to level out but when I landed my foot came off the pedal.

On the ride back home I was stung by a bee and had to stop riding and my friend looked at my leg and said "Hey, look at your leg!!!!".  I was wearing shorts and my sock was soaked in blood and above all the blood was a terrible gash in my shin.  It was so bad that I could see ever layer of skin and to the bone because I was missing a big chunk.  I got home, told my mom I had to go to the hospital.  She looked at my leg and said "Oh Todd, what did you do now?!?!". 

Went to the hospital and the doctor asked if I had the piece of skin that was missing and I told him know and that I didn't realize I had hurt my leg until I was halfway home.  The doctor had to stretch skin to close the wound.  He didn't have to use anything to numb the area because the nerve must have been cut out which was why I didn't notice it at first (either that or I was in shock.) 

Tod this day I have a significant divot in my shin and that scar has no feeling, it can be pinched hard and notthing. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

Houndhead

When I was 12 years old, I was riding my Yamaha 80 dirt bike and wiped out and gashed my knee open. I had to get back up and ride home. It was a nasty L shaped wound requiring 30 stitches. When it was time to get the stitches taken out, I was supposed to walk from school to the hospital, which was only a couple of blocks, and walk back to ride the bus home. Well, I sat in the waiting room at the hospital until I knew if I didn't leave I would miss the bus. I didn't want to get in trouble for missing the bus. I walked out of the hospital and got on the bus. I cut the stitches and pulled them out myself on the bus ride home. I still have the L shaped scar on my left knee.

littleguy301

I have both many scars and many tats.

I have a nice one on my upper lip from a car accident when I was 16. I also have a scar on my eye lid and under the eye from the same accident. Also a nasty scar from my kidney area to my butt cheek that required many stitches from that same accident. I cannt remember but it was in the double digits for stitches, which in turn I did the HH thing and removed the ones under the eye and on the lip, could reach the ones on the back and was to scared to pull the ones out from my eye lid.

Have one in my ear when they super glued my ear on from a work accident.
Have a Tonka mark on my right ribs from a shortly before age 2 accident with my tonka truck. Wife thinks it is a birth mark.
Have a few surgery scars on the knees.
Have a scar on the leg from just a bad deal.
Have a scar on the left bicep that is now covered in ink. Being really stupid for that one.
One on the top of the forehead and head, trying to impress a girl as a teenager.

And my favorites to talk about. The burn marks from the back of my head to the really "dark" area of the hinder. If I was to tan, my back looks like a spotted leapord and the third degree burns in the unholies of holy areas on my massive hind end wrecked my career as a male stripper ;) I was dipping out of a dump truck with a bobcat and catch the bucket on the tailgate going to fast and it rocked the skidder back and forward and the bucket of mix came down on me. As I bent forward the mix went down my back and got trapped in my pants and at 300 degrees burned the living snot out of me. I used many of the sense god gave me on that one, I could feel, smell, hear and see the mix burning me.

My wife laughed at me on our honeymoon, I tanned like a madman to go to Mexico and while on the beach my back looked like some spotted mess. I was as tan as possible except for the many untannable spots on my back. I havent since tanned or gone to a beach and removed my shirt since.

Side note: while getting part of my back tatted up this past winter, the artist had a hard time in some areas because of the burns and the lose of some pigment.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

uncle Fester

fester reporting in on scars...got a couple..have always been a firm believer in avoiding stitches and doctors..got married and my wife has made me get stitched a few times..recommend going to the doctor if you lose a limb...fingers are ok for about 4 hours then pain goes up your arm and you are forced to see a physician....
we didnt come here for a picnic

bigG

Playing crash derby on the ice in third grade, I hurt my upper right arm real bad one day. Had to write lefty, for the week, then I could write righty, but had to keep my rt. arm tucked in. Mom noticed and asked what I did. I said, "I think I broke my arm." She said, "oh come on1" Twenty nine days after I broke my arm, I'm in the doctor's office. I then had a Hungarian surgeon, who I really liked, fix me up by taking bone shavings from my hips to mend the arm. Good surgeon, but not the best stitch-master, so I have a honkin' centifpede on my right arm and a long one on my hip.

Got a nice gash in the back of my head from when my brother (8 years my elder) and I first got boxing gloves and he KOed me and I fell back and cracked my head on the fireplace mantle. I remember waking up to the feeling of warm blood on the back of my head and my brother saying  "mom's gonna kill us!" She wasn't happy.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

Quote from: uncle Fester on June 10, 2013, 08:24:47 AM
fester reporting in on scars...got a couple..have always been a firm believer in avoiding stitches and doctors..got married and my wife has made me get stitched a few times..recommend going to the doctor if you lose a limb...fingers are ok for about 4 hours then pain goes up your arm and you are forced to see a physician....

If it is only a finger you can continue to milk the cows?

FESTER,,,you crack me up!

Remember June 30th at 2:30 ;)

Kjohnson

bigG

I don't do tats (but am great with those who like body art). Still, I always tell kids when they say they're contemplating getting a tat "scars are free and come with a story."
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Kjohnson

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on June 11, 2013, 06:48:18 AM
I don't do tats (but am great with those who like body art). Still, I always tell kids when they say they're contemplating getting a tat "scars are free and come with a story."

How about tats covering stories ;)

I like both as I think most know that by now ;D

Never thought I was into "art" but I guess I am ;D

Todd

Quote from: littleguy301 on June 11, 2013, 09:51:03 PM

I like tats on others, especially well done ones on women.  Still trying to find the right one for me.
"This page intentionally left blank".

DrSnide

Quote from: Todd on June 11, 2013, 11:12:13 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on June 11, 2013, 09:51:03 PM

I like tats on others, especially well done ones on women.  Still trying to find the right one for me.

Complete opposite.  I find tats really unattractive on women, but would be okay for myself if something was really important to me. My wife has wanted on for years but has not yet.  Not sure she cares that much about my opinion (never has before) so not sure whats stopped her.  Maybe she's still looking for the perfect idea.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

imnofish

Got plenty of scars, but no tattoos.  Back when football spikes were metal, I got spiked several times.  The ones on the backs of my hands are still visible.  I could have covered them up with tats, but apparently that won't be necessary.  Age spots are covering up some of them, already.  I think tattoos are for the young, anyway.  As you get older, gravity is not so friendly to your appearance.  That smiley face tattoo starts looking like a banana.   ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!