The Breakfast Club

Started by Kjohnson, June 05, 2013, 10:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjohnson

Finishing up 28 years of having breakfast with friends at the end of the work week.  We had as many as 8 of us and now it is just one friend . The first guy I started with has moved out of state and since then a number of people have come and gone.  The guy I have breakfast with now has been part of the club for 25 years.

We take summers off and meet during the school year on the last day of the week that we have students.  We have moved to different restaurants  because some didn

Kjohnson

TomM

You are not alone!  :)
"International Club" breakfast at diner downtown every Friday at 6:30am during the school year. Going on for 25 years as well.A good friend (he passed away five years ago) who taught social studies began this club and the Friday breakfast.  Original intent is to give foreign exchange students a 'made for them' group to be a part of and meet other kids.  We pay for the breakfast of the foreign exchange students.
The International Club does numerous community service activities, and some trips. Chicago twice (once by train, once by cars or bus depending on size of group) one walking tour/shopping and one to the museums etc.  And a trip to Great America for Halloween.  In spring (last weekend) we (this year 70 kids/two buses) visit the Milwaukee zoo in the morning and a Brewers game in afternoon after tailgating.  There are a few more activities.
Back to the breakfast...
My good friend was the originator, but he is gone... Two of us (guidance counselor and physical education teacher) are part of the original 'group' of adults (teachers). Right now another social studies teacher is a regular and in charge of the International Club itself.  There are other occasional visitors from the high school teaching staff... There is pretty much an open invitation for anyone to join us.  Then numbers (of kids) are interesting as we have anywhere from 8 to 65 kids show up to breakfast.  Good business for the caf
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

I'm guessing Omega on Hwy. 100. Those Greek places always have decent grub for the $. The gyros omelet is something you don't get at Webb's. I do like the atmosphere of George Webb's, though.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Kjohnson

Quote from: bigG on June 05, 2013, 03:05:47 PM
I'm guessing Omega on Hwy. 100. Those Greek places always have decent grub for the $. The gyros omelet is something you don't get at Webb's. I do like the atmosphere of George Webb's, though.

so true +1

Kjohnson

TomM

That's an old movie now...

Last breakfast 'of the year' tomorrow at 6:30am... will just be a few adults.  Maybe some kids will show.. but I doubt it.   We don't sit with them anyhow.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Kjohnson

Quote from: TomM on June 06, 2013, 05:01:12 PM
That's an old movie now...

Last breakfast 'of the year' tomorrow at 6:30am... will just be a few adults.  Maybe some kids will show.. but I doubt it.   We don't sit with them anyhow.

I go to next week and then summer off

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

I get together with co-workers or former co-workers in the winter for breakfast. We try to get together every other or every third week.

We try to do a once or twice a winter get together with the wifes for a supper.

We also plan out at least 1 breakfast with some drinks also ;)

Man nothing better than just sitting with some friends for a few hours and just plain and simple talking!

Man life is good ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Kjohnson

Quote from: littleguy301 on June 07, 2013, 09:18:47 PM

Man nothing better than just sitting with some friends for a few hours and just plain and simple talking!

Man life is good ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

++++ :)