51 Sacks Last Year

Started by velcroe, May 29, 2013, 10:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

velcroe

Just watched a 5 minute clip on the Packers a couple of days ago and they reported that Rodgers was sacked 51 times last year which led the league and now they are moving right side of line to left and left side to right side.  If you were a crappy pass blocker on the left side are you suddenly going to be a solid blocker on the right side?

bigoil

Coming back from injuries, retirement and competition will make them better.

bkraus

You want your better linemen on the left side protecting where the QB can't see.  Hopefully if the right side gets beat he can see it in enough time to move out of the pocket.
Strive for Perfection

DrSnide

It is important to note than many of those sacks are also Roger's responsibility.  He seems to hold on to the ball longer than any QB in the league.  Often this is looking for a "big play" rather than settling for a dump off pass or throwing the ball away.  I'm not saying this is all bad but it does contribute to some of those sack numbers.  Maybe having a more reliable option like Franklin will help.  He did appear more willing to dump it off as Harris emerged as an option late last season. ...
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Todd

Quote from: DrSnide on May 30, 2013, 01:11:15 PM
It is important to note than many of those sacks are also Roger's responsibility.  He seems to hold on to the ball longer than any QB in the league.  Often this is looking for a "big play" rather than settling for a dump off pass or throwing the ball away.  I'm not saying this is all bad but it does contribute to some of those sack numbers.  Maybe having a more reliable option like Franklin will help.  He did appear more willing to dump it off as Harris emerged as an option late last season. ...

I agree, he holds onto it much too long however I'll take an 8 yard loss than a pick 6 or just a turnover.  I much prefer if he gets out of the pocket and doesn't see anything he just chucks it out of bounds.
"This page intentionally left blank".

DrSnide

Quote from: Todd on May 30, 2013, 01:55:19 PM
Quote from: DrSnide on May 30, 2013, 01:11:15 PM

I agree, he holds onto it much too long however I'll take an 8 yard loss than a pick 6 or just a turnover.  I much prefer if he gets out of the pocket and doesn't see anything he just chucks it out of bounds.

Yes, picks are killers but sacks are drive killers also statistically.  I prefer throwing it away or dumping it off for the five yard gain.  There were quite a few times Rogers had someone short but passed on it to wait for something to develop downfield only to get sacked.  I get it on 3rd down when you need the 1st but he is just as willing to do it on 1st and 2nd down.  Its also part of the reason that cover-2 works so well, not only is there no running game to worry about it but not many check down passes. 

Of course you could say there may be more checkdowns if you didn't need to keep a TE or RB (or both) to block but it seems to have happened many times even when that is not the case.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

whatever

McCarthy has said repeatedly that some of the sacks are part of Roger's attempting to extend plays with his feet.  It also sounds like not is that encouraged by the coaching staff, but also coached and taught.

That being said, I'm willing too accept that one minor flaw of Rogers' along with his many talents..... :)
"....the older I get, the better I was....."