Roenicke can go as well

Started by velcroe, May 29, 2013, 09:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat time

Quote from: Ghetto on June 30, 2013, 11:24:48 PM
It's the managers fault that guys can't pitch or swing at strikes? I'd say that's on the GM
+1. I think this season is more on Doug Melvin than RR, but I also think that last 2 seasons come down to who ever is responsible for the pitchers.
Gold medals aren

velcroe

Philosophy of hitting and knowing when to take pitches is absolutely a managers idea.  he along with the hitting coach develop an agenda to a general hitting philosophy.

Todd

It's the managers fault that guys can't pitch or swing at strikes? I'd say that's on the GM

It's the managers fault when you have 1 out, a guy on third and you call a run on contact play that gets Ricky Weeks thrown out by a mile.
"This page intentionally left blank".

Houndhead

Quote from: Todd on July 01, 2013, 08:17:16 AM

It's the managers fault when you have 1 out, a guy on third and you call a run on contact play that gets Ricky Weeks thrown out by a mile.

The contact play bugs the heck out of me. It just doesn't seem like it is worth taking the risk. That being said, I saw the same play by the Red Sox the other day and the guy was out by a mile, so it is not just a Roenicke thing. Good teams use that play also.

velcroe

It is definitely time to shake things up before we get to 100 losses....let a new manager come in and see if that person at least has a pulse.

Todd

I don't get this team at all.  They should have been blown out tonight with who they were going against and Peralta on the mound and Gomez, Lucroy, Segura and Braun out.  Peralta makes it 5 innings before leaving hurt (usually the time a starter on this team exits anyway if not earlier)  The bullpen is great as usual and The Brewers win. 

Like I said, I don't get it. 

DrSnide

Quote from: velcroe on July 02, 2013, 05:03:08 PM
It is definitely time to shake things up before we get to 100 losses....let a new manager come in and see if that person at least has a pulse.

I'm all for tanking the rest of the season at this point.  Tade as much as you can hope Braun serves his suspension this year rather than next and lose away.

They are obviously not going to contend anyways lets ensure we are in a good postion to draft next June.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Ghetto

I think Braun and Rodriguez are both serving "suspensions" right now
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Todd

Quote from: Ghetto on July 03, 2013, 09:23:50 AM

Unfortunately that he won't be credited for it when MLB comes calling for his head.  He should have admitted what he did if he's guilty and taken the suspension so it only affects this year.  By the time this thing is done it will spill into the majority of next season and we'll be saying "wait till next year" in the month of May.

Ghetto

It is my belief that MLB put Braun on the DL and are keeping him there. I'm not sure that due process couldn't shoot a hole in the case of a guy who lied about any involvement until he was granted immunity and then had all kinds of things to say.

DrSnide

Quote from: Ghetto on July 03, 2013, 02:01:31 PM
It is my belief that MLB put Braun on the DL and are keeping him there. I'm not sure that due process couldn't shoot a hole in the case of a guy who lied about any involvement until he was granted immunity and then had all kinds of things to say.

So you're thinking its the MLB version of the Michael Jordan one year "retirement" after gambling allegations surfaced

DrSnide

Quote from: Todd on July 03, 2013, 09:59:23 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on July 03, 2013, 09:23:50 AM

Unfortunately that he won't be credited for it when MLB comes calling for his head.  He should have admitted what he did if he's guilty and taken the suspension so it only affects this year.  By the time this thing is done it will spill into the majority of next season and we'll be saying "wait till next year" in the month of May.

thats my fear also. 

Ghetto

Quote from: DrSnide on July 03, 2013, 02:39:00 PM

So you're thinking its the MLB version of the Michael Jordan one year "retirement" after gambling allegations surfaced

I do believe so, yes.

Todd

Quote from: Ghetto on July 03, 2013, 04:31:51 PM
Quote from: DrSnide on July 03, 2013, 02:39:00 PM

I do believe so, yes.

So you think that MLB because they won't be able to prove a case told Braun he has to sit out?  Too black helicopter for me.  Plus if they are able to prove it, Braun has lost all those days because he won't get credit for "going on the DL"

padre

Quote from: Houndhead on July 01, 2013, 10:36:07 AM
Quote from: Todd on July 01, 2013, 08:17:16 AM

The contact play bugs the heck out of me. It just doesn't seem like it is worth taking the risk. That being said, I saw the same play by the Red Sox the other day and the guy was out by a mile, so it is not just a Roenicke thing. Good teams use that play also.

The concept behind the play of course is you have to take your chances as if he does not go there will still be 2 outs and a runner on 3rd...still a very poor percentage that he is going to score. 

A hard hit ball to 3rd of course makes the play look bad but the runner is getting a bigger lead than normal and basically the team is hoping anything but that happens...a weak ball hit to 3rd and the guy scores.

Even in the smaller ranks(LL, Babe Ruth, High School) the play is used a lot....especially if there is another runner on...taking the out at home if it happens and still having a runner in scoring position.

These guys aren't idiots calling the plays....all managers use it quite often in the situation mentioned above.