Dog Grooming

Started by imnofish, May 20, 2013, 11:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

Anyone here ever try doing your own dog grooming?  I bought some clippers and gave our dog her spring haircut yesterday.  Man, what an ordeal!  She looks pretty good, though.   :o
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Todd

Back when we had 3 dogs, we would take them outside and do the comb out (we had 3 serious shedders), nail trimmers, dog shampoos etc.  While it was fine it was terribly time consuming and we wanted to spend more time with the pups at the dog park or free range park in Menomonee Falls so we started taking them to a groomer.  Great place and a great owner.  Her name is Helena at Madra Pet Styling in Milwaukee.  She would do a pre-summer coat blowout, nails, shampoo, grooming etc.  The dogs looked great after a trip to her.  In the fall we would do another major grooming without the coat blowout and in-between we would do maitenence stuff.  Our time was definitely worth more than what we got in return.

The pups are all gone now though with the last one 3 years ago.   :(
"This page intentionally left blank".

Kjohnson

Quote from: imnofish on May 20, 2013, 11:29:54 AM
Anyone here ever try doing your own dog grooming?  I bought some clippers and gave our dog her spring haircut yesterday.  Man, what an ordeal!  She looks pretty good, though.   :o

I could use a hair cut

imnofish

Quote from: Kjohnson on May 20, 2013, 01:17:11 PM

I could use a hair cut

I could do it, but I'd have to use my other clippers.   >:(  Yes, I cut my own hair.  So does my wife.  Saves us quite a bit of change, over time.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

Mine doesn't need so much grooming as he needs a tick puller and a good pond bath every now and then.

Bad year for ticks.

Anyone use those tick control pills? I used to use the goop on his back; but that stuff is nasty.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on May 20, 2013, 03:26:49 PM
Mine doesn't need so much grooming as he needs a tick puller and a good pond bath every now and then.

Bad year for ticks.

Anyone use those tick control pills? I used to use the goop on his back; but that stuff is nasty.

We use the goop on the back, but it seems okay once it dries.  Seems to work really well.  If the dog gets a tick, we just use the tip of our index finger and twirl that little sucker (the tick; not the dog) in a circle until it lets go.  Then, we put a little dab of Neosporin ointment on the wound.  Beats pulling it out with tweezers since it doesn't tear out any flesh or leave any of the tick in the dog.

Kjohnson

Bad year for ticks.

I put the stuff on his back, Vet recommended. My JRT is a bit on the shaggy side maybe a clip would do him good. I remember trying to save money and cutting my sons hair. I tried just cutting bangs - didn't work. I grew up in a family of 4 brothers, do you think my parents sent 5 boys to a barber? no way mom cut and she kept it short and easy . (ps thanks for spell check)

Todd

Quote from: imnofish on May 20, 2013, 02:37:10 PM
Quote from: Kjohnson on May 20, 2013, 01:17:11 PM

I could use a hair cut

I could do it, but I'd have to use my other clippers.   >:(  Yes, I cut my own hair.  So does my wife.  Saves us quite a bit of change, over time.

I think I can count on one hand the times I've paid for a haircut when I've lived here and not in the Navy.  Even then I didn't pay for them.  It helps when your mother did that for a living. 

Todd

Bad year for ticks.

I did hear that tics are horrendous this year.

bkraus

Quote from: Todd on May 20, 2013, 12:59:12 PM
Back when we had 3 dogs, we would take them outside and do the comb out (we had 3 serious shedders), nail trimmers, dog shampoos etc.  While it was fine it was terribly time consuming and we wanted to spend more time with the pups at the dog park or free range park in Menomonee Falls so we started taking them to a groomer.  Great place and a great owner.  Her name is Helena at Madra Pet Styling in Milwaukee.  She would do a pre-summer coat blowout, nails, shampoo, grooming etc.  The dogs looked great after a trip to her.  In the fall we would do another major grooming without the coat blowout and in-between we would do maitenence stuff.  Our time was definitely worth more than what we got in return.

Helena is a friend of mine and I have used Madra for all my dogs.  Her salon is wonderful!  If you are in the Milwaukee area and willing to go to the east side for grooming, I highly recommend it!
Strive for Perfection

imnofish

Quote from: bkraus on May 21, 2013, 02:28:51 PM

Helena is a friend of mine and I have used Madra for all my dogs.  Her salon is wonderful!  If you are in the Milwaukee area and willing to go to the east side for grooming, I highly recommend it!

Sounds great, but that's about 600-700 miles (round-trip) for me.  Does she do house calls?   ;)

Todd

Quote from: imnofish on May 21, 2013, 04:12:31 PM

Sounds great, but that's about 600-700 miles (round-trip) for me.  Does she do house calls?   ;)

No but if you make it out this way, I'll meet you for a barley pop and some lunch around there, my treat.  ;D

imnofish

Quote from: Todd on May 21, 2013, 04:34:36 PM

No but if you make it out this way, I'll meet you for a barley pop and some lunch around there, my treat.  ;D

8)  That would be great.  Not sure when/if I will ever get down that way, though.  Haven't been in the area for about 8 or 9 years, when I was taking a summer course at Concordia (in Mequon). 

Todd

Quote from: imnofish on May 21, 2013, 04:54:55 PM

8)  That would be great.  Not sure when/if I will ever get down that way, though.  Haven't been in the area for about 8 or 9 years, when I was taking a summer course at Concordia (in Mequon). 

I'm 10 min SW of Concordia in Brown Deer.

imnofish

Quote from: Todd on May 21, 2013, 10:52:13 PM
Quote from: imnofish on May 21, 2013, 04:54:55 PM

I'm 10 min SW of Concordia in Brown Deer.

Cool.  As I recall, the instructor for the course that I took down there was a retired Supt. who spent most of his career in the Brown Deer School District.  The district's former athletic director was a guest lecturer, as well.  Can't recall their names, though.