Windows, replacement

Started by TomM, May 07, 2013, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Anyone use/familiar with WASCO windows out of West Allis?
I will soon have to replace a kitchen window (casement over the sink), a four pane living room bow window with two casements.  One of the two kitchen and three of the living room thermopanes have failed.   Also have five bedroom windows (all same size) that could be replaced.  Only one of them has actually 'failed' (the frame and slides out of square).  The combination storms on those five are really worn (holes in screens, broken tabs etc.) and don't function very well.  This does not all have to be done at once.
Have a bid from Champion Windows and it was expensive (That should be in caps.).
Any thoughts?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

Wasco makes a nice window. A bit expensive.

We buy JeldWen from Menards and have no issues with them.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Kjohnson

Are you doing the work yourself? neighbor used the Window Store out of New Berlin and he was real pleased with the results. He didn't put them in.

jaguarwrestler

I would use jeldwen from Menards, middle of the road price, good product, probably won't see much difference in product by paying more.

if your getting replacement windows they are generally fairly easy to install especially if you are only doing a few at a time and know a decent handyman.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

TomM

Thanks for all the input.  I will look into Jeldwen.  Looks good.  I am not personally installing them.  Most likely I COULD do it myself, but the downside is this, it would look like I did it myself.

The Last Ride

Tom, Had a bid for replacing all my windows from Anderson Renewal.......ouch...... that is all I have to say......I was talking to my dad about it and he said that the bid I got was more than it cost him to buy his first house.. I would like to stay local. Anderson's is right accross the river.. but wow is that an eye opener..
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

imnofish

Get bids from some local general contractors with good reputations.  They should be able to do a good job for you at a much more affordable price than those replacement window services.  If you want to purchase the windows from Menards, talk with the guys at the sales desk and they will be able to suggest some good guys to get bids from. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Houndhead

If you are going to hire a contractor, wouldn't having the contractor buy the windows be the way to get the best price? Unless they jack up the cost on them like the auto repair places do.

Ride, when you say across the river, I assume you mean the MN side. I always thought Andersen was in New Richmond.

Ghetto

Contractors don't get major discounts on windows, at least not from my experience. Maybe if they did thousands of windows, but otherwise no.

The going rate to replace windows is anywhere from 75-120 per window for labor.

TomM

Thanks guys!  Good info...
Just had call from a good friend who gave me number of a contractor and also a firm called Pro Line that is fairly close to me.  Yesterday spoke to a local guy and also know a guy here who sells building materials...
Not sure I can afford to have all seven windows done right now.  The one bedroom window is in bad shape and the kitchen and living room ones have 'failed'... so those would be priorities.

Ghetto

I special ordered jeldwen replacement windows from Menards 40x45. They were $208

imnofish

You could also try installing one window yourself and see how it goes.  Call in a handyman to bat cleanup, if you're not happy with the results.  If you find that your trial window works out fine, then you've saved enough to expedite replacement of additional windows and gained the knowledge/experience to get more savings.  My brother did this and found that the vinyl replacement windows were easy to install.  He ended up replacing all of his windows himself and saved a bundle. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!