2013-2014 Season

Started by CLC FAN, May 04, 2013, 08:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLC FAN

Mark your calendars for Tuesday February 18th.  It could be the first All-CLC sectional final ever!  It appears that Ozaukee is moving to the Dodgeland Regional where they should be in a battle with Lomira in Regional 3, while Random Lake and Oostburg fight it out in Regional 2.  The winners could meet second round at team sectionals with a trip to team state on the line!!

Also,since Ozaukee is in a different Regional, there is a chance that the CLC could send three wrestlers to state at a few weight classes.  

http://www.wiaawi.org/Portals/0/PDF/Results/Wrestling/2014/assignments.pdf

CLC FAN

Apparently this preview is way overdue... looks like some other conferences are already getting the discussion going. 

Cedar Grove - 7 returning from their regional lineup.  1 State qualifier. 
The Rockets bring back some good young talent and what I think is an underrated senior class.  Wenzel is the returning state qualifier, Krier had a monster CLC tournament, and Vilareal and Weeberdink are both very solid in the lighter weights.  Key losses:  Alex May.  Incoming/underlooked:  Abel Brockman joins brother Isaac this year.  Isaac took 3rd at Regionals, but the two guys ahead of him took 2nd and 3rd at state! 

Elkhart Lake - 5 returning, 1 state qualifier.
Elkhart had some impressive young talent last year.  The Rebedew brothers as well as Brock Bonebrake return in the lighter weights, and Nick Miller returns in the upperweights after a very respectable sophomore season.  For Elkhart (and Cedar Grove as well) the key to team success is numbers.  They have talent, but in the CLC you will struggle if you give up any forfeits.  Key losses:  Shane Schanke.  Incoming/underlooked:  I don't know specifics, but they had an above average group of middle school wrestlers last year.  Some of them might be a year away from high school yet, but the increase in numbers is a good sign.

Oostburg - 9 returning, 0 state qualifiers.
I would be willing to say that Oostburg is the most dangerous team in Division 3 without a state qualifier returning.  They are always full, they are always fundamentally sound, and they've been brewing lightweight talent behind the scenes for a year or two now.  If the recent success of Ozaukee and Random Lake have shown anything, it is that having a logjam in the lightweights may create a headache for a year or two, but when those guys grow and spread out, watch out!  Oostburg could have that kind of scary breakout season this year.  They return 5 of the 7 heaviest weight classes, and that kind of experience will earn them bonus points in a lot of duals.  Key losses: Clint Hoftiezer and Alex Korthals.  Incoming/overlooked:  No real superstars have emerged yet, but Coach Rogers knows how to develop talent and he has a lot to work with.

Ozaukee - 9 returning, 3 state qualifiers.
The Warriors return 3 contenders for a state title, and the talent doesn't end there.  They key for their team success this year will be to add some upperweights.  They return only 3 wrestlers in the upper half of the lineup, but their lightweights are a murderer's row.  I noted this in a different thread - but they are now in the Dodgeland Regional instead of the Random Lake one.  If this was last year, they would have walked through that regional with ease.  They still have a great shot of making it to Team Sectionals, but they will have to contend with Lomira at regionals.  Key losses: Smith, E Brouillette, I Hughes  Incoming/Overlooked:  I think Watry is going to be a great wrestler.  He might get behind some other studs on his team this year, but he is a grinder and will definitely be in Madison before his career ends.  C Hughes also has a huge upside, and he has a great room to improve in.

Random Lake - 10 returining, 7 state qualifiers.
What a season it is shaping up to be in Random Lake.  Last year, every wrestler from 106-145 qualified for state, plus 2 more in the upperweights!  They bring back both the upperweights and 5 of the 7 lightweights.  Good practice partners can make or break a room, and it seems like the Rams should have an "iron sharpens iron" effect on each other this year.  Between Random Lake and Ozaukee, the two teams covered 13 of the 14 conference championships last year, and of the 9 of those champs who return, Random Lake has 6 of them.  Key Losses:  All four seniors had a big impact.  Sanders, Schmidt, Schannen, and Schwan (sounds like a law office - no?)  Incoming/overlooked:  Very big numbers in the freshmen class, including J Depies, Vandenbush and H Huiras, who all had some success at youth state last year.  Also coming back, but probably not overlooked, is Reed Anklam.  Random Lake's HWT took 3rd at State as a freshmen and 5th as a sophomore.  He returns after losing his entire junior year to a football knee injury.

rocket92

Awesome preview !!!  I can't wait for the season.Cg also added a transfer So. from port washington upper weight I heard he's pretty tough?

warriordad

rocket92

My bad must have got some bad info

CLC FAN

Your info was accurate, just not up to date.   Fleishmann from Port was at CG and playing football even, but then moved back to Port from what I hear.  He is a very big stud.  Placed high out in Fargo this summer.

Ghetto

If Fleischman attended Cedar Grove for even one day he is ineligible to wrestle varsity for Port Washington this year. Hopefully for his sake this didn't happen.

We had a kid move from Big Foot to Bay as a sophomore. He went to Big Foot for one day, then moved to Bay. He was not allowed to wrestle varsity for us.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

moels

Ghetto - I believe you are correct.

Ghetto

I would rather not be. Just like Jude a few years ago, its a wasted year of the young mans wrestling career.

boowrestle

Ghetto pretty  sure you are correct,iam pretty sure if you compete in a fall sport for 1 team,that you cannot move and compete for another team during the same school yr :(,jmo not very good planning by somebody ???
you can run but you cannot hide.

Drivingforce

If this is the case, very unfortunate...for both Brandon Fleischmann(good kid, have had multiple convo's with his dad) and the team. He was there last year(at PW), curious. Moves or not, you need to know the rules. I hope this is just a mistake or possibly a misunderstanding, but...

The John Jude scenario was really unfair to the kid, completely different situation. His previous school dropped the  wrestling program, yes? In that case, exceptions should be made. If an athlete and his/ her family decide to move on their own you need to deal with the rules.

Oak Creek football pulled stuff like this for years during the late 80's, 90's and early in the 2000's...til they got got caught. Consistently had players from out of the district on their team. They were a powerhouse, though never won a state title, KARMA kicked them in the inappropriate term2. Now their program isn't so strong because they have to follow the rules.

Because of their closeness to the current PW team, I'd defer to moels or maybe aarons on what is really is going on here. Though I still follow and support, I'm a year or 2 removed from the daily goings on with the PW program.

padre

I was always under a different assumption than ghetto and that there was a way around things...then again we've never had a kid come to our district...we've lost some but have never had a move in.   I would agree with WIAA that you can't play both sides....

As far as a loss to PW it would seem to be another huge blow as they have faced many over the last 2 years.

Ghetto

In the Jude case Custer did drop wrestling, and he still had to sit out,even though he moved to another part of Milwaukee.

There are ways to show why a student moved, etc so there may be a very small ray of hope. Again, when our kid moved, he clearly wasn't moving to Bay cuz we are a powerhouse. He was moving for a better family situation. It didn't matter.

Ghetto

It was a few years ago, but I thought our kid could have moved back to his original school and wrestled varsity, though I am completely unsure about that.

Ghetto

The real question in my mind is will Random Lake break through and win a state title? They are well coached and have a group of experienced guys coming back who have been under the bright lights before.