How did you pick your career and are you happy

Started by Kjohnson, April 26, 2013, 05:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

Quote from: littleguy301 on April 29, 2013, 11:05:37 PM
I have something to add to this whole work thing.

Bottom line is that you have to look out for yourself.

Reason for that statement is,,,,,after 20 years of going to work at the same place I decided to embark on another choice of companies to work for. I will be doing some of the things I used to be I will also have a completly different aspect to my job. While it is in the same industry (asphalt) I will be doing much more scaled down jobs but with tigher specs to it. Meaning return costumers and private business so I better work on my people skills and make sure my work is top notch.

I worked for a company for 16 years, family owned and you knew everyone and then after 16 years they sold to a much larger company and I worked there for 4 years. I really did NOT like that big corp feel to a company. I am the type of guy that likes to know who signs my checks.

Things after many years in the working field that I respond to

I like to get to know the workers and management (or at least know who they are)
Some place you feel you make a difference
Being able to be flexible and not money driven at ALL steps of the way
Being able to grow with in the company
Always being able to challenge yourself to be better
taking on new projects and learning how to do them
being part of a team that wants to grow and challenge themselves

The only downer of leaving that company was the people I worked with. I realized that I will more than likely never work with the same people that long again. I dont plan on working another 20 years in the asphalt industry if I can help it.

It was a tough choice to make but I am still young and hungry to work so I believe it will be just fine.

Plus I even had to reach out to a couple of the forum members on this one,,,,gosh I am a forum junkie.

wrestlefan,,,,yes even though we dont agree on politics, I remember him saying he had just taken another job so I had to pick his brain on what to do and ask for. Thanks fan,,,,,but I still am not going to agree with you on all politics ;D

Of course I had to talk to the one and only maggie,,,,enough said,,,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Also,,,,it is good that when your starting out in your job or switching jobs, it is good to ask alot of question to make sure it is a fit for you.

Very good advice.  Whatever job you apply for, it's important to understand that you should interview them, just as they are interviewing you.  It makes good sense, if you are looking to find the best possible "fit."
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

subzero

so how and when did you deside and fall in love with the job you are doing now??
Hooah

Kjohnson

I worked for a school district for 32 years and liked it, it wasn

littleguy301

Gosh I hope I like my new job as much as you like yours Mr Johnson!!!!!!

I did interview my new company,,,,they laughed pretty hard as did I but it was a great interview ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Todd

When I finished high school, I gave Tech school a try but was too immature and it wasn't for me. I joined the Navy (to see the world), my mom cried when I told her I enlisted.  2nd year in I found myself in a war and what I thought might be a career turned out to be a stepping stone for me.  I turned my attention back to wrestling, did a lot of Navy tournaments when on shore and while at sea organized open mats.  After having been turned down once by my command to go to Pensacola after being invited by the All Navy Coach Rob Hermann I started taking more classes on the ship and started the process of applying for colleges.  After getting back I was again invited to The All Navy team and my command finally let me go and I competed for a little bit with them and continued to focus on schooling.  I didn't know whether I wanted to go into Criminal Justice for The FBI or DEA or go into Social Work. 

Some of the final time I had in the Navy and some of the human suffering at home and abroad made up my mind that I wanted to help people and not lock them up.  I chose UWM because they had one of the top rated national Social Welfare programs in the state.  I contemplated some schools that I could have wrestled at but being a late starter for college I wanted to get through as soon as possible. 

My internship with teenagers at Pathfinders changed my life, I mentored youth at COA on top of my internship.  After graduation, I was given a full time job at PF and then I went back for graduate school.  I began coaching while also wrestling on UWM's club team during graduate school, I got my master's degree and was hired as a part time therapist at Walker's Point, the other teen shelter in Milwaukee and then a full time position with The Counseling Center working with Children and Adolescents who were survivors of sexual abuse.  After being recruited to become the Director of Walker's Point my journey working with youth ended this past year and I'm working in Mental Health Outpatient with The VA as well as a contracted therapist at The Healing Center working with men who are survivors of Sexual Abuse. 

I really don't think I found my career, it found me because I've loved every agency I've worked for and the clients I have served.
"This page intentionally left blank".

Kjohnson

Ok, I can't help myself, time to have some fun

If you are trying to figure out your career choice, just look at your favorite children

bigG

I stayed in college after almost failing out and quitting wrestling and two of my three jobs at the time. Decided I'd give school first priority for a change. Went from a 1.5 GPA to a 3.65 when I graduated with my 4year and certification to teach Spanish. That silly language has opened more doors for me. Even as the school counselor, I use it all the time.

Either way, I'll never regret working with kids. I think I'll appreciate them even more when I'm an empty nester (about 7 years from now :(). I'm lucky that I get to work with 4 year olds all the way through. Most of my little tikes have parents I taught. Makes you feel old but blessed to see normalcy as a norm, and part of a norm you were a part of.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigoil

Quote from: subzero on April 30, 2013, 06:35:50 PM
so how and when did you deside and fall in love with the job you are doing now??

I think you need to look at the skill set you have and like. I like math and problem solving and got lucky and sought that out and low and behold, after a couple of promotions/new jobs/different commodities im still doing the same type of job (ish) 21 years later. I love going to work every day.

What is that you are good at and what do you like?

Kjohnson

Quote from: howavi on May 01, 2013, 09:24:58 PM
Quote from: subzero on April 30, 2013, 06:35:50 PM

I think you need to look at the skill set you have and like. I like math and problem solving and got lucky and sought that out and low and behold, after a couple of promotions/new jobs/different commodities im still doing the same type of job (ish) 21 years later. I love going to work every day.

What is that you are good at and what do you like?

Good Point

imnofish

Every (legal) job is worthwhile and fills a societal need.  I am thankful that we have people willing to do each kind of job and I believe that doing any of them should at least result in a living wage and benefit package that allows the employee to adequately support a family.  If a person has certain talents and interests, they should be able to do work that makes the best use of those and fulfills them, without being disrespected socially or financially. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

"What is that you are good at and what do you like?"

That's what it comes down to. It's often surprising what you're good at and like, and what's out there.

The job market isn't gone. Helps a lot to have passion for your work. I liked working every job I've had. Just had to balance things out.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

Quote from: Kjohnson on May 01, 2013, 06:55:55 AM

If you are trying to figure out your career choice, just look at your favorite children

Kjohnson

Quote from: littleguy301 on May 04, 2013, 04:05:46 PM
Quote from: Kjohnson on May 01, 2013, 06:55:55 AM

littleguy301

funny you say that,,,,a couple of weeks ago I was making our toy room into a wrestling room and had to move the book case to another room and I stumble over my books ;D

I also looked at the books I read to my daughter when she was young. Great trip down memory lanes.

Mike was a brute of a man and while he worked hard, after his last job he found something that suited him and his trusty steam shovel very well ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

imnofish

Quote from: littleguy301 on May 04, 2013, 04:38:39 PM
funny you say that,,,,a couple of weeks ago I was making our toy room into a wrestling room and had to move the book case to another room and I stumble over my books ;D

I also looked at the books I read to my daughter when she was young. Great trip down memory lanes.

Mike was a brute of a man and while he worked hard, after his last job he found something that suited him and his trusty steam shovel very well ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rumor has it that Mike was also a union man.   ;D