How did you pick your career and are you happy

Started by Kjohnson, April 26, 2013, 05:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjohnson

I want both my kids to see what other wrestlers have to say about their career. Why are you doing what you are doing? and why did it happen.. Please comment both positive & negative. How important was money in your career decision. If you were the major money maker in your family, you may not have had a choice.  This will be good for all high schoolers. Please don

bigoil

I tell this to every kid I speak with.

A) Do what you love. I have loved coming to work every day I have worked and when that day stops, find a different employer or profession.

B) Given A) I steer every kid to a profession in Energy.

dr.mud

My dad always gave me this advice:

1. "Never work for money" meaning, money should not be your motivation
2. "when you become a slave to the paycheck, you have lost the meaning of life"

I have lived by that advice and it has served me well.

woody53

Wrestling gave me my career. On the way to a wrestling tournament back in 1976, on e of my good friends father, asked me what I wanted to do in my life. I told him that I wanted to be an Architect, but didn't want to sit behind a desk all day. He asked me, Do you know what a Landscape Architect is?. I started pulling weeds in his Nursery the next week. I have been in the profession ever since.
Money for our profession in the upper midwest has never been big, but it is a good living. The great part about the job is working with people. And nature. And science. And most of all. I chose to stay in the contracting end. that allows me to go to work at 5:00 in the morning everyday. I work unreal hours now, but during the Wrestling season, I get off work everyday at 3:00 to coach. Plus, Plus !
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Ghetto

I have wanted to be a teacher since I was 6 years old. Though some days I'm ready to choke someone, I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. Still love my job.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imnofish

My father was a teacher and coach, so I really respected educators and their desire to help others.  Later, my mother also became a teacher.  Still, I wasn't sure it was right for me, despite being an education major in college.  After wrestling season, I realized that wrestling was the only reason I was still in school.  As much as I love the sport, I could see that my priorities were out of whack.  So, I dropped out and went to work in the steel manufacturing industry.  However, I missed wrestling so I became a registered official and started reffing junior high and high school competitions.  Eventually, I began coaching and realized how much I enjoyed working with kids.  My wife noticed it too and encouraged me to return to college and complete my degree.  It was tough being a student and working full time while supporting a family, but 3 years later, I was ready to begin my teaching career.  I taught middle school for 32 years and also coached wrestling for 20 more years (plus football for 6 years).  I absolutely loved the work, because it allowed me so many opportunities to help others.  I also loved the complexity and creativity inherent in the job, but the magnitude of your responsibilities can be daunting.  During my career, I earned administrative qualifications, but just couldn't pull myself away from the classroom.  I enjoyed its challenges and rewards right up until my last day on the job.  Since retiring, I have continued being active in our school district as a volunteer, substitute teacher, and substitute principal.  I have also subbed in a couple of other districts.  I still enjoy having the opportunity to work with kids and be of service to my community.  If your goal is to make a lot of money, teaching is not for you - especially in a small school district.  In a two income household, you can have a middle class existence, though.  However, if you find a school, position, and community that are right for you, it can be very rewarding, personally.  It is a stressful career, especially in today's highly-politicized educational environment.  You will work very long hours during the school year, but have time in the summers to "recharge your batteries."  However, that often involves working at another job, writing curriculum, and/or taking additional classes.  Currently, I am very concerned about the future of teaching, as it seems to continually be under political attack and disrespect is escalating.  If you love working with children and families, follow your heart into this profession, but enter with your eyes open to its realities.  A final recommendation is to choose a minor that will shorten your transition to another career, should the education field continue its downward spiral.  
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

littleguy301

I knew that I would be suited for a job in the construction industry. In high school that seemed to be something that I was drawn to and plus my grades sucked.

Started doing some manual labor and found out that I must have had some talent because I got paid pretty good to do it.

Moved into my job at 22. I was drawn to the job because it had insurance and I needed it for my daughter.

Well after some point I realized that I had a career in there somewhere. Started taking the ball and running with it. Moved up the ladder and took schooling and I found out that I like what I am doing.

I worked for a family company for 16 years and after the past 4 years at a huge company, I found out I like the family companies better and looked for a job in with that kind of company
\

Some things to look for, at least I did.

Getting along with your fellow co-workers
feeling pride in your work at the end of the day
enjoy what you do, even in the tough times
Room to grow and build yourself
having a company that will allow you to grow and be a valued employee
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

subzero

I get the whole things just seem to fall in place and do what makes you happy
But i have no idea what i want to do. I did the whole army thing
Thinking I'd know what i want to do after three years of the army
But i still have no idea
Hooah

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

I am going on 43 and I still havent decided what I want to do when I grow up ;D

imnofish

Quote from: littleguy301 on April 29, 2013, 07:00:20 AM

I suggest that you visit your closest WITC campus and ask about career counseling resources.  They can inform you of the different career options, earning potentials, and training requirements.  My wife and both of our kids found their services to be invaluable in finding what they were meant to do.  Some of the jobs that exist today are relatively new, so this is a great way to get better-acquainted with your options.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

littleguy301

Quote from: imnofish on April 29, 2013, 10:30:00 AM

I suggest that you visit your closest WITC campus and ask about career counseling resources.  They can inform you of the different career options, earning potentials, and training requirements.  My wife and both of our kids found their services to be invaluable in finding what they were meant to do.  Some of the jobs that exist today are relatively new, so this is a great way to get better-acquainted with your options.

fish,,,,,that sounds like great advice to take but I will say if I switched careers at this point I still wouldnt know what I want to do.

I was trying to say,,,,that I am fighting father time and trying to be a kid at heart ;D

imnofish

Quote from: littleguy301 on April 29, 2013, 10:48:36 PM
Quote from: imnofish on April 29, 2013, 10:30:00 AM

fish,,,,,that sounds like great advice to take but I will say if I switched careers at this point I still wouldnt know what I want to do.

I was trying to say,,,,that I am fighting father time and trying to be a kid at heart ;D

I see a Santa suit in your future.   ;D

littleguy301

I have something to add to this whole work thing.

Bottom line is that you have to look out for yourself.

Reason for that statement is,,,,,after 20 years of going to work at the same place I decided to embark on another choice of companies to work for. I will be doing some of the things I used to be I will also have a completly different aspect to my job. While it is in the same industry (asphalt) I will be doing much more scaled down jobs but with tigher specs to it. Meaning return costumers and private business so I better work on my people skills and make sure my work is top notch.

I worked for a company for 16 years, family owned and you knew everyone and then after 16 years they sold to a much larger company and I worked there for 4 years. I really did NOT like that big corp feel to a company. I am the type of guy that likes to know who signs my checks.

Things after many years in the working field that I respond to

I like to get to know the workers and management (or at least know who they are)
Some place you feel you make a difference
Being able to be flexible and not money driven at ALL steps of the way
Being able to grow with in the company
Always being able to challenge yourself to be better
taking on new projects and learning how to do them
being part of a team that wants to grow and challenge themselves

The only downer of leaving that company was the people I worked with. I realized that I will more than likely never work with the same people that long again. I dont plan on working another 20 years in the asphalt industry if I can help it.

It was a tough choice to make but I am still young and hungry to work so I believe it will be just fine.

Plus I even had to reach out to a couple of the forum members on this one,,,,gosh I am a forum junkie.

wrestlefan,,,,yes even though we dont agree on politics, I remember him saying he had just taken another job so I had to pick his brain on what to do and ask for. Thanks fan,,,,,but I still am not going to agree with you on all politics ;D

Of course I had to talk to the one and only maggie,,,,enough said,,,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Also,,,,it is good that when your starting out in your job or switching jobs, it is good to ask alot of question to make sure it is a fit for you.

Kjohnson

Thank you for all your input. I have shared it with my sons