Our Star Pitcher

Started by Goat Roper, April 16, 2013, 11:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scourge

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on April 18, 2013, 07:17:17 AM
Todd, you say jail time is too much but then talk about how drunk he was... don't you get it? He was putting people in danger with being that drunk, how does that not deserve at least 5 to 10 days in jail?

If you walked into a gas station and pulled a gun demanding money then put your gun away and walked out the door with nothing... did you commit a crime or are you forgiven because nothing really happened? Do we have to wait until he hit and kills someone before the first time is punishable?

Why do we always need to wait until someone dies or a person has broke a law multiple times before we make people pay for their mistakes

a guy like this has NO excuse, he could hire a driver, call a member of the organization, take a cab, call a friend or whatever, he has the resources to keep from making such a stupid mistake.

This wasn't directed to me, but I agreed with the "no jail time," as well, so I'll respond anyway.

I guess when I've seen suggestions for "jail time," on this forum, it's always seemed to be excessive.  But 5-10 days is something I could absolutely live with.  I think I was corrected by you in an earlier thread when I thought YOU had suggested 1 year of jail time for a first time offense.

But I can get on board with a week, week and a half in jail if you're lets say over twice the legal limit? 

I think your second paragraph with all due respect is ridiculous and a dangerous analogy.  I really do.  In one case, you're brandishing a weapon to force someone to do something for you for money and you DO go to jail for that for a long time.  I don't follow in the least bit how you even begin to compare that to a drunk driving, even if you're underlying point is that we shouldn't wait until someone COULD die as a result. 

And then I agree with your third paragraph 100 pct as well.  He doesn't have the excuse that a taxi is too expensive.  I understand a guy on a budget who can't afford to get a taxi and drop 50 or so bucks...I vehemently disagree with the logic, but can at least understand it.  I would say most have driven over the limit at some point.   But with Yo, even a 200 dollar taxi ride(just getting ridiculous with the price for the sake of argument) for someone who makes 7.75 million and has already made millions is inexcusable. 

Like I said, he should be "convinced," to spend about 200 hours going around and talking to people about drunk driving.

And I remember in sex-ed class when I was in HS, we'd see graphic pictures of sexually transmitted diseases.  Just...awful images. 

I think the public should be exposed to more gruesome pictures of what drunk driving can do.  These video's where you have someone open up their window and alcohol comes pouring out comes off more as a joke type video than anything else.

jaguarwrestler

scrouge,

in another thread I suggested 30 days for first offense

as far as my analogy, I'm not saying they are exactly the same, I am saying both are putting peoples like in danger... getting 3 times the limit and getting out on the interstate is a danger to everyone on the road... just because you don't hit anyone doesn't mean it is not criminal.

my point with this is, seems like you only pay a stiff penatly once things go really wrong.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Scourge

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on April 18, 2013, 11:42:38 AM
scrouge,

in another thread I suggested 30 days for first offense

as far as my analogy, I'm not saying they are exactly the same, I am saying both are putting peoples like in danger... getting 3 times the limit and getting out on the interstate is a danger to everyone on the road... just because you don't hit anyone doesn't mean it is not criminal.

my point with this is, seems like you only pay a stiff penatly once things go really wrong.

I understand your analogy, I just think throwing in an armed robbery to make a point...doesn't really help make that point as there just two totally different situations. 

And I never argued that it's not criminal because you don't hit someone.  But when you rob someone at gunpoint, that's premeditated whereas drinking and driving is extremely irresponsible, but it's not nearly the same.  But I don't want to dive too far down this rabbit hole.  Your point is both instances can lead to death and we shouldn't wait until they actually do.  My point is one's a felony that will put you in jail for a long time regardless of injury, so nobody's really "waiting," to punish the armed robber. 

But if you want to use that analogy, the same is true with someone who brandishes a gun to rob a store.  The penalty does get much stiffer same as with drunk driving.

Either way, we both agree a measly 300 dollar fine is absolutely reprehensible.  And it's not even criminal.  It's a municipal ticket.  That's pathetic.  If you don't want it to be a criminal penalty, a misdemeanor for your first offense, then you should absolutely make them jump through hoops.  Maybe it gets removed from your record after 5 years, you have to get one of those ignition locks, you have to do community service and the fine absolutely has to be more than $300 dollars.  Most people carry that much money around with them...that really is a pittance for the crime you're committing.

Ghetto

A drunk driving ticket is far more expensive than $300.

I think its a good idea by the Brewers and Gallardo himself to go out and do some public announcements against it. Penance and doing some good would go a long ways.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Scourge

Quote from: Ghetto on April 18, 2013, 06:47:56 PM
A drunk driving ticket is far more expensive than $300.

I think its a good idea by the Brewers and Gallardo himself to go out and do some public announcements against it. Penance and doing some good would go a long ways.

Well, the ticket for a first offense is 300 dollars.  Of course you'll end up paying more in insurance, and there may be other court fees, but even legally here he's looking at about 800 dollars in fines and that's with a ticket for lane deviation and something else according to the MJS.

I've heard over 5 years it can end up costing 10 thousand dollars with all the things that go along with it, but again, just the DUI ticket-300 bucks. 

Todd

Quote from: Scourge on April 18, 2013, 10:54:01 AM
Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2013, 04:52:23 PM
Quote from: Scourge on April 17, 2013, 04:07:16 PM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on April 17, 2013, 03:12:21 PM
how sad are the laws that a person 3 times over the limit doesn't face jail time? He should get suspended by the team imo and I am a fan of him and the team

Hmm...I'm not sure, but what definitely IS sad is that he faces a 300 DOLLAR FINE?  That is the penalty for taking a pickup truck drunk onto the freeway in this state?

I question the jail time for first time offenders, though I don't protest too much to your argument about those nearly 3 times over the legal limit. 

He won't get suspended by the team though. 

In fact, I do like how MLB handles it.  Suspending him from the team hurts the team and everyone else as well.  In the past they've made people go and speak at numerous occasions, they get assessments....MLB has had huge problems.  Nick Adenhart, a 22 year old sensation just got done throwing something like 8 shutout innings and died.  The Cardinals entire team it seems like has had a DUI, and they had a player die from it.

Suspensions don't make for a great deterrent.  You suspend him 6 games and all that happens is he makes a start, he is suspended for 6 games, and he starts the 7th, so he starts 3 days later than he normally would have. 

I think their counseling program and the public interaction is more effective.

$300 is a joke.  Jail time for 1st offenders is too much.  I would say that he should donate $25K to a drunk driving victims fund.  It's not like he was .08, he was pretty blasted at .22

MLB will not take action on this, neither will The Brewers nor do I think they should. 

I assume by "action," you mean suspending him, correct?  I agree with you there.  Miguel Cabrera has just absolutely gone completely nuts with his alcohol problem and never been suspended.  In fact, I believe he played in a playoff game recently(maybe 2011) the night after he was violently sick, puking and out until about 5 AM Drinking....

Yes, I meant suspension.
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on April 18, 2013, 07:17:17 AM
Todd, you say jail time is too much but then talk about how drunk he was... don't you get it? He was putting people in danger with being that drunk, how does that not deserve at least 5 to 10 days in jail?

If you walked into a gas station and pulled a gun demanding money then put your gun away and walked out the door with nothing... did you commit a crime or are you forgiven because nothing really happened? Do we have to wait until he hit and kills someone before the first time is punishable?

Why do we always need to wait until someone dies or a person has broke a law multiple times before we make people pay for their mistakes

a guy like this has NO excuse, he could hire a driver, call a member of the organization, take a cab, call a friend or whatever, he has the resources to keep from making such a stupid mistake.

Yes, but I still think a first offense DD should not require jail time.  There are levels.  Just as you get into a fight you may be cited for Disorderly Conduct, injure them and maybe it goes to battery, use a weapon etc. You get the point.  Yes he was blasted, I'm glad he was going 40 and not 90 and I'm glad they pulled him over and no one was hurt.  2nd offense mandatory jail time.  I do think he should be hit hard in his wallet and put that money to some good use focusing on a charity.

Come on Jags, you know me better than that, I would never be caught with a gun in public!  ;D
"This page intentionally left blank".