Our Star Pitcher

Started by Goat Roper, April 16, 2013, 11:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

"This page intentionally left blank".

DrSnide

This season is doomed and the worst part is that we are going to have a low draft pick that we gave up to sign Loshe.   >:(
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Houndhead

Quote from: DrSnide on April 16, 2013, 01:10:52 PM
This season is doomed and the worst part is that we are going to have a low draft pick that we gave up to sign Loshe.   >:(

I am not posotive, but I think that pick is for this years draft in June.

DrSnide

Quote from: Houndhead on April 16, 2013, 01:32:46 PM

Duh! Can't believe I did that.  :P

I'm pretty sure you're right.  Lose away crew!!!!! ;)
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Scourge

Quote from: DrSnide on April 16, 2013, 02:11:10 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on April 16, 2013, 01:32:46 PM

Duh! Can't believe I did that.  :P

I'm pretty sure you're right.  Lose away crew!!!!! ;)

Yeah, just deleted my thread.

Yeah, we already gave up our pick(17th overall). 

So if we end up with a top 10 pick this year(that would have been protected anyway as teams who finish with a top 10 pick lose their second round pick) or whatever, we get to at least keep it for next year.

The good news though is that Lohse is pitching like a monster.  Maybe a team like the Angels or Dodgers or whoever will find themselves needing another pitcher and trade for Lohse.  His stuff really is better than I thought it was. 

And this Gallardo news is obviously not good.  I wonder what's going to happen?  I don't really remember MLB suspending players...certainly nothing like the NFL for off-field issues like this.  But driving 40 MPH on the freeway?  Certainly better than going 95, but that's pretty bad. 

I still think Yo's a good guy.  This can happen to anyone once.  It's the 2nd/3rd times...

jaguarwrestler

how sad are the laws that a person 3 times over the limit doesn't face jail time? He should get suspended by the team imo and I am a fan of him and the team
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Scourge

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on April 17, 2013, 03:12:21 PM
how sad are the laws that a person 3 times over the limit doesn't face jail time? He should get suspended by the team imo and I am a fan of him and the team

Hmm...I'm not sure, but what definitely IS sad is that he faces a 300 DOLLAR FINE?  That is the penalty for taking a pickup truck drunk onto the freeway in this state?

I question the jail time for first time offenders, though I don't protest too much to your argument about those nearly 3 times over the legal limit. 

He won't get suspended by the team though. 

In fact, I do like how MLB handles it.  Suspending him from the team hurts the team and everyone else as well.  In the past they've made people go and speak at numerous occasions, they get assessments....MLB has had huge problems.  Nick Adenhart, a 22 year old sensation just got done throwing something like 8 shutout innings and died.  The Cardinals entire team it seems like has had a DUI, and they had a player die from it.

Suspensions don't make for a great deterrent.  You suspend him 6 games and all that happens is he makes a start, he is suspended for 6 games, and he starts the 7th, so he starts 3 days later than he normally would have. 

I think their counseling program and the public interaction is more effective.

Todd

Quote from: Scourge on April 17, 2013, 04:07:16 PM

Hmm...I'm not sure, but what definitely IS sad is that he faces a 300 DOLLAR FINE?  That is the penalty for taking a pickup truck drunk onto the freeway in this state?

I question the jail time for first time offenders, though I don't protest too much to your argument about those nearly 3 times over the legal limit. 

In fact, I do like how MLB handles it.  Suspending him from the team hurts the team and everyone else as well.  In the past they've made people go and speak at numerous occasions, they get assessments....MLB has had huge problems.  Nick Adenhart, a 22 year old sensation just got done throwing something like 8 shutout innings and died.  The Cardinals entire team it seems like has had a DUI, and they had a player die from it.

Suspensions don't make for a great deterrent.  You suspend him 6 games and all that happens is he makes a start, he is suspended for 6 games, and he starts the 7th, so he starts 3 days later than he normally would have. 

$300 is a joke.  Jail time for 1st offenders is too much.  I would say that he should donate $25K to a drunk driving victims fund.  It's not like he was .08, he was pretty blasted at .22

MLB will not take action on this, neither will The Brewers nor do I think they should. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

jaguarwrestler

Todd, you say jail time is too much but then talk about how drunk he was... don't you get it? He was putting people in danger with being that drunk, how does that not deserve at least 5 to 10 days in jail?

If you walked into a gas station and pulled a gun demanding money then put your gun away and walked out the door with nothing... did you commit a crime or are you forgiven because nothing really happened? Do we have to wait until he hit and kills someone before the first time is punishable?

Why do we always need to wait until someone dies or a person has broke a law multiple times before we make people pay for their mistakes

a guy like this has NO excuse, he could hire a driver, call a member of the organization, take a cab, call a friend or whatever, he has the resources to keep from making such a stupid mistake.

littleguy301

I doubt that he would have a fine of 300$ for 3X the legal limit. It may say that or have been reported that but it will not pan out that way unless there is some big behind doors confo.

In Wisconsin there is NOT much lead way into plea out to a lesser offensive in DUI cases. That is one thing Wisconsin does that alot of other states do not. You have to beat the charge and not plea out to a lesser charge.

Now in this cases, being 3X the limit I think interlock will come into play because anything over .15 it is now a standard.

I dont think Y Gallargo has pitched like he is drunk I think he has pitched like he is suffering from a massive hangover! I wish he would throw pitches like he is throwing down drinks then I think we have something.

Bottom line, if you driving at 3X the legal limit, I hope he gets the help he needs as a human standpoint, that amount of BAC alarms me and I would guess that would mean this isnt NOT the first time he has done that.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

jaguarwrestler

I would love to know the stats, on people caught the first time how many times on average they drove without being caught... I would guess 50-100.... I know plenty of people who do it in on weekly basis and never get caught

Scourge

Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2013, 04:52:23 PM
Quote from: Scourge on April 17, 2013, 04:07:16 PM

$300 is a joke.  Jail time for 1st offenders is too much.  I would say that he should donate $25K to a drunk driving victims fund.  It's not like he was .08, he was pretty blasted at .22

MLB will not take action on this, neither will The Brewers nor do I think they should. 

I assume by "action," you mean suspending him, correct?  I agree with you there.  Miguel Cabrera has just absolutely gone completely nuts with his alcohol problem and never been suspended.  In fact, I believe he played in a playoff game recently(maybe 2011) the night after he was violently sick, puking and out until about 5 AM Drinking....