Franklin Spring Classic

Started by bpappy, April 15, 2013, 04:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpappy

The Franklin Wrestling Program would like to apologize for the length of the tournament this past Saturday; along with other issues that individuals may have had.  We were flooded with more than 100 wrestlers who walked in on Saturday; giving us an more than 60+ wrestlers that we were not expecting. 

We already began discussing changes for next year while the tournament was running and appreciate the suggestions and constructive criticism that we have already received on Saturday and in the "Jordan Dieringer and Beau Breske" post.  Ideas that we have already discussed are discontinuing walk-ins, limiting the number of wrestlers; which are going to happen unless there is a change of venue (possible location is about 3-4 miles away).  We have also discusses renting a TrackWrestling scoring system to score online.  Eliminating weigh-ins, but reserving the right to weigh wrestlers in if we or opponents question their weight.  Any other ideas for us to improve, please?  If so, please let us know.

We also found a singlet.  It has a name tag in it, but it is not completely legible from the repeated sweating and washing.  They did not pre-register,  but I have already started to try to track down the owner.  Contact me with your name and address.  I can read the name and enough of the address to verify that it is going to its owner.  I will be able to mail it tomorrow if I can get a complete address.

bman

For every person that complained, I am hoping there are several more that were perfectly fine with the tournament.  Yes, it was a long day, but that was not completely unexpected.  If you did happen to be caught off guard by how long the tournament would take, you got a good idea of how long you would be there after the first round concluded. 
In order to have a two tournaments in one day, (freestyle and greco) where full mats are required for all wrestlers, it will take time.
I was, to some extent, a part of the "problem" or, the influx of wrestlers at the last minute. 
On Friday, when Freedom canceled their tournament, I registered for Franklin on TrackWrestling that night.  I was very appreciative we were able to salvage a weekend of getting in some matches. I can't complain.  I guess the only thing you can do for next year is calculate, based on how many mats you have, how many wrestlers/matches you can handle in X-amount of hours, and cap the number at that figure. There are so few tournaments and weekends for freestyle and greco, that I will not complain about the duration of the tournaments. 
Thank You Franklin for handling the large numbers as well as you did.

Ghetto

100 extra kids adds 25 groups. Not sure what you do other than add mats
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

woody53

Just wanted to put a shout out to all those that helped with the Franklin Spring Classic. Even though I did not attend this year, I understand that the Franklin Wrestling Family really pulled together to get it done. As a Tournament Manager that takes a lot of complaints, all I can say is don't be afraid of them, some can help. In the other stance, be proud of what you guys did in tough circumstances. Franklin was always the toughest Old timers Tournament I wrestled in, and I am sure it will stay that way with the level of wrestlers it draws.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

herewego

I've been to the Franklin tournament for the past several years.  Every year this is a long tournament.  That's just how it is having both styles in the same day.  I knew going in it would be a long day.  I will admit walking into the front door and standing in a long line wasn't the best way to start the day.  However, adding all the kids from Freedom and only being there an hour an a half longer than years past I think was pretty darn good (got out at 7:15).  I won't complain because I don't have any solutions to the problem. 

ramjet

I posted plenty on the other thread but was also appreciative for the opportunity to watch some really good matches.

Constructive criticism; (speaking to the High School matches as I was not down stairs) little more organization at the tables and keep things moving there were gaps of up to 10 minutes between matches. 32 matches per round even if you kept it to 4 minutes that would add a couple of extra hours. The official and or a table worker need to shout the names and get them going also announcing the on deck Guys so that everyone is close by ready to go. That alone would have saved several hours.

Other than that  the workers did the best they could or knew how.

Thanks for allowing the late comers we had good tough competition and thanks for getting our Greco match up and going so we could make the trek home.