Started by coastguard, April 13, 2013, 03:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastguard

Wrestling each other this afternoon at Franklin Freestyle tournament

coastguard

I am told it was a very good match... 

Breske wins 0-5, 1-0, 1-0

Must Love Dogs

Not sure...was busy enjoying a good Grahek & Crone match that was going on at the same time.  Crone won that one.

mike

just like Dake vs. Taylor...the best for last :)

except we had two marquee matches side by side

my head was on a swivel...good stuff!

Ghetto

I hate when tournaments just bracket and don't put results on the Internet.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ramjet

I was there and will tell you this it came down to partiar'. Awesome battle it did make  sitting in those chairs all day worth it. But that entire bracket was awesome wrestling Beau vs Conner Price was good as well. That was a tough competitive bracket.

Tough competitive wrestling today at Franklin. How about Gabe Grahek vs Andrew Crone? Greco and FS Good wrestling and great competition.

Ill. Brought some good tough kids today. We get few chances to see The young men from the south so this was treat.

City Kids well represented with good good group of young men.

Leaving at 4:45am drive 3.75 hours wrestling till 5:15pm drive 3:45 minutes to home.............................priceless. ;D

The Franklin group was a little overwhelmed today but I admire the fact that they allowed everyone to wrestle. The table workers and refs did not get a break all day kudos to them as I know it had to be tough as heck. Plus side they let everyone who showed up wrestle, so what it took a little extra time. We drove 3:45 hours one way. Many Ill folks drove two hours plus.

Better than Freedom did they sent emails out after lunch on Friday canceling. That stinks.

Must Love Dogs

Franklin did the best job they could given what THEY created, however, we got up at 5:00 am, drove 1.5 hours, weighed in, waited two hours to start wrestling and invested 7 hours to wrestle 3 freestyle matches - and our reward for our patience was to be given the opportunity to wrestle ONE Greco match since Franklin drove the majority of the 250+ enrolled Greco wrestlers away by going waaaay long on freestyle.  They get no kudos from us for creating this debacle.  They've run this tournament long enough to realize they admitted too many wrestlers.

They will likely not have the same problem next year as the group we've brought for years, along with many we spoke with throughout the long afternoon, will seek out an alternative opportunity that will be run reasonably.   Don't overbook even with good intentions.  It does not result in a good outcome for most.

In the 15 years we've been traveling to tournaments, never once did we ever entertain the option of leaving a tournament before it ended.  Yesterday was the one and only time we contemplated the idea.  The way it turned out, we would have been better off skipping the Greco portion of the tournament - like everyone else did!

Although it's not about the money, I'm pretty certain there will be no consideration of refund or reduced price for next year for those that got shorted  on the Greco portion of the tournament.

PS - They also ran out of food due to their over admission.  Not good for hungry wrestlers needing to eat SUPPER at a tournament.

whatever

Give it a rest.

Franklin did not create this problem.  They have always taken walk-ins and never had a problem with numbers before.  Now all of a sudden they get barrage of entries due to another tournament cancelling and you're going to come on here and say that was Franklin's fault?

Are you really going to tell me that Franklin should have had people standing at the door and when they hit a certain number, they should have then cut it off and told people "Whoops - Sorry!  We reached our magic number - all you people still trying to register can turn around and go home.  We don't want people to wait too long today and we don't want to run out of food so see ya....No more entries!"

That would have caused a riot.

Was there too many kids for the amount of gym space?  Probably.

Did it take along time to complete the tournament?  No question.  But if you think there was an easy way to prevent this when they have always allowed walk-ins, you're full of hooey.

Yeah, it was a long day - get over it.

By the way, when I was leaving at 7:30 and the tournament was almost over, I heard the PA guy announcing reduced prices for hot dogs and pizza as they were trying to get rid of whatever they had left so your starving little wrestlers could have had some supper if they wanted some.....
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

Must Love Dogs

"Franklin did not create this problem.  They have always taken walk-ins and never had a problem with numbers before.  Now all of a sudden they get barrage of entries due to another tournament cancelling and you're going to come on here and say that was Franklin's fault?

Are you really going to tell me that Franklin should have had people standing at the door and when they hit a certain number, they should have then cut it off and told people "Whoops - Sorry!  We reached our magic number - all you people still trying to register can turn around and go home.  We don't want people to wait too long today and we don't want to run out of food so see ya....No more entries!"

If Franklin didn't create this problem, who did?

Very good, Einstein, even YOU were able to articulate exactly what Franklin should have done. 

But then again, knowing what to do and being able to do it are two different things for some people.

Hope you enjoyed the 1/2 priced food.  We weren't afforded the luxury of dining at peace offering, reduced pricing for the evening session since my son's competition already left.

MantyShip160

Must Love Dogs...... Pack a cooler next time, and you can never have too many wrestlers and competition at a tourney. The more numbers the better!

whatever

....and you're NOT an "Einstein" when you leave out the bolded part of why this would not have worked....

Quote from: whatever on April 14, 2013, 11:22:29 AM
Give it a rest.

Franklin did not create this problem.  They have always taken walk-ins and never had a problem with numbers before.  Now all of a sudden they get barrage of entries due to another tournament cancelling and you're going to come on here and say that was Franklin's fault?

That would have caused a riot.

Was there too many kids for the amount of gym space?  Probably.

Did it take along time to complete the tournament?  No question.  But if you think there was an easy way to prevent this when they have always allowed walk-ins, you're full of hooey.

Yeah, it was a long day - get over it.

By the way, when I was leaving at 7:30 and the tournament was almost over, I heard the PA guy announcing reduced prices for hot dogs and pizza as they were trying to get rid of whatever they had left so your starving little wrestlers could have had some supper if they wanted some.....
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

mike

Quote from: Must Love Dogs on April 14, 2013, 12:04:43 PM
Yeeeeeah.

go to Freedom nxt year!

thankyou Franklin! no complaints other than my kid only won once.  :)

littleguy301

Easy to complain about a tournament but very, very hard to run one.

I understand that some tournaments get hecktic, over booked and so on but to come on a public forum and complain is alittle over the top.

What is the ideas to fix the problem, I think that would be a start.

I have been involved in some well run tournaments and some that didnt go very well. I will take blame for the bad ones but there are A LOT of people that do these tournaments on a volunteer bases. I have not met many of the volunteers that dont try hard to make sure they make the best out of the worst.

I bet Franklin understands that it got long but it sounds like by other posters it was worked out.

pack a cooler
bring something to take up down time
dont dwell on it
if you dont like what is happening then dont come back

Pretty simple, I am sure Franklin tried and by the sounds of it, run a pretty good tournament but I am sure they know you cannt make everyone happy.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DocWrestling

Quote from: Must Love Dogs on April 14, 2013, 11:04:02 AM

They will likely not have the same problem next year as the group we've brought for years, along with many we spoke with throughout the long afternoon, will seek out an alternative opportunity that will be run reasonably. 

Don't you realize that there were no other alternatives which is why they accomondated the increased walk-ins- to give wrestlers a chance to wrestle this weekend.  You certainly did not have to go down a list of options this year before you selected Franklin.

Your alternative is to sit at home or start your own freestyle/greco tournament.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!