Sorry Axford... but...

Started by TomM, April 09, 2013, 10:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scourge

Quote from: Ghetto on April 10, 2013, 01:54:58 PM
Rollie Fingers also had to go more than one inning many times to get saves. Not apples to apples.

I know he didn't say he was the 90-120 best pitcher but that is the general statement when you call someone a 3 or 4. He's top 20-30 in my mind and when you go around the league, that makes him a 1/2.

When Axford can't place the breaking pitch he can't pitch. His fastball is straight as a string. Doesn't matter how fast it is coming in.

Oh, and as far as Fingers, yes, he did throw more innings, but he was also one of the greatest ever.  I'm just pointing out that last year his "terrible year," he still had a higher save pct that season than Fingers did over his career. 

I'm not defending him.  I've always thought of him as a potential Turnbow type guy simply because of his history.  I'd hoped they'd trade him after 2011(I also assumed Bradock would be able to be a late inning reliever).  Guys who have the history of control problems that he has had or T-bow had, the chances are just high that he's eventually going to lose it. 

Guys who throw 98 with control don't make it to independent ball.  They stay with their organization and become pitchers on the Rays!

And as for what to do with him for the time being?

Simple.  Have put Figaro in the 8th inning and use Axford in Fagaro's place.  A guy to come in when the game is close in the 6th, 7th inning, but when they're losing.

mike

my son put a john axford poster on his door.....now his door cant close anymore  ;D

Todd

Quote from: mike on April 12, 2013, 05:45:52 PM
my son put a john axford poster on his door.....now his door cant close anymore  ;D

Did something happen that Axford was released?  The reason why I ask is a tweet from Axford (or seemingly Axford) that called out the fans, basically called them losers and that he stirred the pot and now "I'm outta here".

On a side note Loshe had a nice outing going 7 and giving up 2 runs.  Too bad the inept offense couldn't generate a single run.  Another wasted outing.
"This page intentionally left blank".

Scourge

Quote from: Todd on April 12, 2013, 11:22:01 PM
my son put a john axford poster on his door.....now his door cant close anymore  ;D

Did something happen that Axford was released?  The reason why I ask is a tweet from Axford (or seemingly Axford) that called out the fans, basically called them losers and that he stirred the pot and now "I'm outta here".

On a side note Loshe had a nice outing going 7 and giving up 2 runs.  Too bad the inept offense couldn't generate a single run.  Another wasted outing.

Are you sure you're always on the right person's page?  The lat tweet I saw from him was about Roger Ebbert on the 5th.

I haven't seen anything negative from him.

And no, there is no way the Brewers would release him right now.  They were just talking last night about how he's working with Lee Tunnell and pitching on the side trying to get his mechanics under control.

I kinda doubt Axford would say something like that(though it's possible). 

And Shelby Miller is an absolute beast.  He has a chance to be the ROY.  I was talking about him just two weeks ago in talking about how much talent the Cards have coming up.  They're LOADED. 

Houndhead

The Brewers may not need a closer again this year.

mat time

Quote from: Houndhead on April 13, 2013, 05:54:48 PM
No kidding. I know its a long season but this team is worse than last year. The bull pen is atrocious and starting pitching is suspect. going to be along season.
Gold medals aren

Todd

Quote from: Scourge on April 13, 2013, 01:10:37 PM

Are you sure you're always on the right person's page?  The lat tweet I saw from him was about Roger Ebbert on the 5th.

And no, there is no way the Brewers would release him right now.  They were just talking last night about how he's working with Lee Tunnell and pitching on the side trying to get his mechanics under control.

And Shelby Miller is an absolute beast.  He has a chance to be the ROY.  I was talking about him just two weeks ago in talking about how much talent the Cards have coming up.  They're LOADED. 

Yeah, I don't think that was really his account but WSSP retweeted it so that's why I asked.  I can see that Miller is a great talent but for the brewers to generate a couple runs in the last 3-4 games and a handful of hits is pathetic.

Another crappy day going on right now. Another day, another loss.  At least we got the Bucks to look forward to tonig... oh wait.   >:(   Between the Bucks and the Brewers this city is really hurting for competitive sports.  I think The Bucks should just forfeit the rest of the season and save the embarassment of finishing close to 10 games under .500 and not winning a game in probably 3 weeks including being swept in the playoffs. 

Sad.

Scourge

Quote from: Todd on April 14, 2013, 02:46:15 PM

Yeah, I don't think that was really his account but WSSP retweeted it so that's why I asked.  I can see that Miller is a great talent but for the brewers to generate a couple runs in the last 3-4 games and a handful of hits is pathetic.

Another crappy day going on right now. Another day, another loss.  At least we got the Bucks to look forward to tonig... oh wait.   >:(   Between the Bucks and the Brewers this city is really hurting for competitive sports.  I think The Bucks should just forfeit the rest of the season and save the embarassment of finishing close to 10 games under .500 and not winning a game in probably 3 weeks including being swept in the playoffs. 

Sad.

Ahh...you spoke a bit too soon today.  3-3, 1st and 3rd and 0 outs!

(as I say that the most fundamentally sound guy on the team pops a bump into the air).

Still, It's going to be hard for most teams to suffer injuries to Ryan Braun(3 1/2 games) Ramirez(15 day DL), Hart(60 day DL) our 3-4-5 hitters who combined for the most RBI's of any 3-4-5 trio in the league last year, and then other offensive injuries. 

Bullpens usually take a little while to figure out.  Axford's been clearly terrible, but like always, the team's never as bad as it looks at it's worst.

Todd

Quote from: Scourge on April 14, 2013, 04:03:34 PM
Quote from: Todd on April 14, 2013, 02:46:15 PM

Sad.

Ahh...you spoke a bit too soon today.  3-3, 1st and 3rd and 0 outs!

(as I say that the most fundamentally sound guy on the team pops a bump into the air).

Still, It's going to be hard for most teams to suffer injuries to Ryan Braun(3 1/2 games) Ramirez(15 day DL), Hart(60 day DL) our 3-4-5 hitters who combined for the most RBI's of any 3-4-5 trio in the league last year, and then other offensive injuries. 

Bullpens usually take a little while to figure out.  Axford's been clearly terrible, but like always, the team's never as bad as it looks at it's worst.

yeah I spoke too soon.  there was no way with the way they were hitting that I thought they were going to be able to score on the Cardinals bullpen.  glad they prove me wrong and glad axford did not come in the game.

Ghetto

When they brought Gonzales and his gas can in to put out the fire I started to cry. He did it though. They needed a win badly
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Todd

Quote from: Ghetto on April 14, 2013, 06:22:50 PM
When they brought Gonzales and his gas can in to put out the fire I started to cry. He did it though. They needed a win badly

me too. his record against left handed batters, not so good.

littleguy301

Quote from: Houndhead on April 13, 2013, 05:54:48 PM

The season is still young but your thought is an interesting one ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Houndhead

Quote from: Todd on April 14, 2013, 06:24:32 PM

He has been tough against left handers his whole career. They hit .179 against him last year, and .209 in his career. While he may have given up a few hits this year, I would expect him to win most match-ups against lefties.

Scourge

Quote from: Houndhead on April 14, 2013, 07:27:43 PM
Quote from: Todd on April 14, 2013, 06:24:32 PM

He has been tough against left handers his whole career. They hit .179 against him last year, and .209 in his career. While he may have given up a few hits this year, I would expect him to win most match-ups against lefties.

Yeah, he was 4-6 at the time I think...or 4-7 vs lefties.  Hardly enough to get worried about...

Scourge

Quote from: mat time on April 13, 2013, 08:10:17 PM
Quote from: Houndhead link=topic

/quote]
No kidding. I know its a long season but this team is worse than last year. The bull pen is atrocious and starting pitching is suspect. going to be along season.

It's a week and a half into the season.  Lets put a pin in how bad they are as compared to last year. 

Gallardo has struggled and he's as consistent as it gets, Ramirez is out, so is Hart.

And again, with the BP, lets give them a month or so before we call a group of players that has collectively been very good "atrocious."  Especially since we have so many young relievers that this year we can bring up if we need to unlike last year when too many guys were on guaranteed contracts and didn't have options left. 

I mean, especially given how this team finished last year, and them adding Lohse to the equation.  I just need more than a handful of games before I'm convinced they're going to be terrible.