New info? on wrestling in the olympics

Started by DocWrestling, April 09, 2013, 09:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Am I reading the article below correctly in that it insinuates that one of the reasons wrestling was eliminated from the olympics is that our national/international bodies do not offer greco roman for women. No women's equivalent?

Pretty hilarious some of the sports being debated in the article

Here is the quote from the article I am trying to discern the meaning of

Gender equity is an IOC aim and, after mixed-team formats impressed the IOC in Singapore, archery and triathlon hope to add them in Rio.

Dubi is also awaiting reports from wrestling body, which has an emergency meeting in Moscow next month. Wrestling's gender issues played a part in the IOC board's recommendation to drop both Greco-Roman and freestyle disciplines from the 2020 program.

"Yes, that was always a controversy that they didn't have women for Greco," acknowledged Dubi, with seven men's events and none for women in London. "I will be interested to see what they will propose for Rio."

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/9148662/olympics-mulling-addition-3-3-basketball-bmx
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

imnofish

So, logically, the solution is to ADD wrestling opportunities for women, instead of just dropping the whole sport.  Sounds like a bogus argument...   an obvious "C.Y.A." measure, calculated to address the push back they are getting about this.   ::)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

TomM

I was informed recently, by a very good source, of the following information; then-FILA president Raphael Martinelli was to give a presentation to the IOC committee (the committee which recently advised to drop wrestling) regarding wrestling and that Martinelli did not show up for the meeting and the presentation was not made. This led to an eventual decision to cast wrestling aside in favor of some other options.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

imnofish

Wow!  If that is factually accurate, it was an extreme dereliction of duty.  It would be interesting to find out WHY he didn't show up.  Is there a process by which someone else can fulfill his responsibility, after the fact? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!