Following the Minor Leagues...

Started by Scourge, April 06, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scourge

Just thought I'd start a thread to keep track of some of our younger players.

I already mentioned how Hunter Morris, the guy who was next in line for the 1st base job after Gamel's injury and being the AA MVP had a big opening day with a HR, 2B and 4 RBI's, and our young stud Tyler Thornburg, the Tim Lincecum type guy struck out 8 with 0 BB, 3H and 1 ER in 6 IP on opening day.  Thornburg throws 95-96 with a big curve.  Just behind the group of Peralta, Rogers, etc..etc...kinda the next in line.

Orlando Arcia(LowA) is a young SS that everyone should be aware of.  He's 18 and even after missing last year, has the chance to be a future superstar.  He started out 2-6, and he's a defensive star.

Today Jimmy Nelson(AA), a big time ground ball pitcher who hits 97-98 had a so-so first start going 5 IP, 5 H, 0 BB and 8 K's with 5 GB's and 1 Fly Ball out(GB/FO).  He's a big time sinker ball pitcher, and IMO the best chance to be a future ace of all our young pitchers. 

Another young star pitcher, Hiram Burgos, a guy who doesn't have the big fastball, but has been just unbelievable the last couple years started out his season with 5 IP, 2 H, 3 BB and 6 K's without allowing a run.  He's coming off a 1.95 ERA as he moved from A+, AA and AAA last year. 

And a player who fell a little under the radar, Damien Magnifico, a guy who was a pitcher who could have been a 1st or 2nd round pick, that fell to the 5th and the Brewers payed way over slot for(which is why losing the money for the 1st round pick in the Lohse deal hurts) and a guy who can and has hit 104 on his fastball threw 5 Innings in Low A(which I was surprised by as I didn't think he'd start with a full season squad and go back to rookie ball) had a great 1st outing.

His stuff is better than anyone in the system, he's just very wild.  Like a John Axford(when he's throwing 98, not 91-92 like he was last time out).  He pitched 5 scoreless innings, gave up 3 hits 2 BB and 5 K's.  And he ALSO had a great GO/FO ratio getting 6 GB outs to 2 FB outs. 

So...while the big league club isn't pitching well, we've had a lot of great starts from some really talented prospects the first couple days.

Ghetto

But the last couple of guys are YEARS away.

Not sure why Morris wasn't called up. When the Brewers brought up that group together in the past I got it. Keep the core together so they can win together. Morris isn't a part of a large group and should be with the big club now. I know its early, but Yuni B, Alex Gonzales, and the list of retreads they are playing at a vital offensive position is appalling. They HAVE to get outings like Lohse had to even be in games with the offense they throw out there.

I just hope they can keep it close until Hart gets back. Hopefully he's hot right from jump.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Scourge

Quote from: Ghetto on April 06, 2013, 08:43:51 PM
But the last couple of guys are YEARS away.

Not sure why Morris wasn't called up. When the Brewers brought up that group together in the past I got it. Keep the core together so they can win together. Morris isn't a part of a large group and should be with the big club now. I know its early, but Yuni B, Alex Gonzales, and the list of retreads they are playing at a vital offensive position is appalling. They HAVE to get outings like Lohse had to even be in games with the offense they throw out there.

I just hope they can keep it close until Hart gets back. Hopefully he's hot right from jump.

I'm not arguing with you by any means, and of course guys like Arcia and Magnifico are years away(what an awesome name by the way). 

And Hunter Morris got a shot in ST'ing and was pretty bad.  I don't disagree that he should be up right now either.

I'm just trying to highlight a few of the young talented guys we've got in the minors without going too far into it.  Tyrone Taylor is a guy the Brewers drafted in the 2nd round recently who plays CF and is a legit 5 tool player who's way beyond where the scouting reports said in terms of plate awareness and things.

Ghetto

We aren't arguing, and I appreciate the information, because I don't know what is down on the farm.

I'd say that the farm system is a bit barren at this point. I know that drafting MLB talent is the biggest crap shoot of all the major sports, but it's looking a bit grim for the Brewers at this point.

Hunter Morris needs to be with the big club regardless of when Hart comes back. The short period of time will do him good and it can't be worse than what they are getting out of the scrubs they have out there.

Scourge

Anyway, a couple big games from yesterday;
AAA-
Johnny Helweg the 6'9 power arm we got in the Greinke trade who can throw in the upper 90's(with Segura and Ariel Pena who also has a VERY strong arm and the Angels actually liked more than Hellweg) had a great first start for the AAA Nashville Sounds last night.  

They just reported this on the Brewers game, but he went 5 IP, 2H 1 BB 3 K's and had 10 ground ball outs vs 2 fly ball outs.

Hellweg could be a dominant pitcher if he can control his pitches better.  He's struggled with walks throughout his career.  But a GREAT 1st start.

Also in AAA, Scooter Gennett, a 2B compared by many to Dustin Pedroia, went 3-4 and is now 6 for 11 so far in AAA.  

Hunter Morris put up another 0-for after his HR and 2B on opening day.  Sean Halton however, playing LF, but a 1B most of his career did go 3-4 with 2 RBI's.

AA-Taylor Jungman, the first round 12th overall pick in 2011 from Texas where he had a historically great collegiate career had a great start to his season.  5 IP, 2H 1ER, 1 BB and 4K's.  He's yet another big time ground ball pitcher who had 7 GB's to 1 FB.  These really are rare GB ratio's.  Usually a very good GB pitcher is a little over 2 to 1.  

Kentrail Davis, a former first round pick from Tennessee who was projected to be a top 10 pick, but fell to the Brewers because of signability concerns in the supplemental part of the 1st round is off to a great start.  He's got the ability to play all OF spots, has great speed, cannon for an arm and hits for power and walks.  Also strikes out a lot and has been injured rather consistently.  

He went 3-4 with a BB.  He's 4-7 with 3 BB's so far this year.  He, IMO is the best offensive prospect we've got in the minors who's got a chance to contribute in the next year or two.  

And maybe the best news is Santo Manzanillo...the pitcher who was climbing up the ladder two years ago and had a chance to make the roster last year as a late inning reliever with a fastball that has hit 102 and a slider that he can throw at 90-92 MPH according to Doug Melvin looks like he's healthy again.  He was in a bad car accident in the Dominican Republic a couple years ago.  This is when his car flipped over and he was ejected from the car and layed in the ditch for 30 minutes because the first people who passed through stopped to rob him.  He had surgery on his shoulder and then came back last year, but wasn't as sharp as he had been.

He had followed Jungman with 2 scoreless innings, 1H 0B and 1K.  He, like almost all of our other power pitchers biggest issue is his command.  So he's a guy who could definitely be pitching in Milwaukee this year if he can stay healthy.

A+ Brevard County
Brooks Hall started.  He's another pitcher the Brewers paid 1st/2nd round money to later in the draft started.
Went 4IP 4H 2BB and 4K's.  

Cameron Garfield a 2nd round pick went 2-4.  Really the only significant prospect offensively on this team.  

LowA Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
By FAR the most talented team in terms of position players, several 1st rounders, or Latin American signings who have come stateside after playing in the Dominican League, but a whole lot of 0's in the hit column for those guys.  Tyrone Taylor went 1-5 with 2 RBI's and a 2B and Orlando Arcia went 1-5.  

Scourge

Quote from: Ghetto on April 07, 2013, 02:53:39 PM
We aren't arguing, and I appreciate the information, because I don't know what is down on the farm.

I'd say that the farm system is a bit barren at this point. I know that drafting MLB talent is the biggest crap shoot of all the major sports, but it's looking a bit grim for the Brewers at this point.

Hunter Morris needs to be with the big club regardless of when Hart comes back. The short period of time will do him good and it can't be worse than what they are getting out of the scrubs they have out there.

I don't really think it's that barren.  I think it's underrated and I think it's young, but we have a LOT of pitchers who have VERY good arms throughout the system and we have some hitters that should move up quickly.  We just faced Tyrell Jenkins, a top 30 prospect for the St Louis Cardinals and hit him pretty good.

I think the rankings a lot of time are biased and teams like the Brewers don't get the coverage a team like the Yankees, Cards, or other teams do unless they're absolutely loaded like the Royals were, or the Brewers were several years ago after having top 5-10 picks year after year.  They're not loaded like they used to be, but they have enough guys that can come in and make an impact that I think they're better offer than the rankings will lead you to believe. 

As for Morris, I really don't know.  I don't know if he'd be better than Agon and guys like that for the time being and just as importantly how it'd impact him if he came up here and struggled like Brad Nelson did for example to start his career?  I think it's worth a shot, just speculating why the Brewers may not be.

Ghetto

I know I can't compare the current group to Fielder, Weeks, Hart, and Braun. I need to remember that the Brewers got guys like that because they were a really bad team. Drafting in the spots that they are now, they aren't going to get those type guys.

Scooter Gennett is going to be a player, but he's got to play second and a healthy Rickie Weeks is a guy that can be a dominant player.

It's not that Morris is a sure fire lock to be an all star, but there isn't a guy on the roster that really plays first base. It is early though.

Scourge

Quote from: Ghetto on April 07, 2013, 03:51:41 PM
I know I can't compare the current group to Fielder, Weeks, Hart, and Braun. I need to remember that the Brewers got guys like that because they were a really bad team. Drafting in the spots that they are now, they aren't going to get those type guys.

Scooter Gennett is going to be a player, but he's got to play second and a healthy Rickie Weeks is a guy that can be a dominant player.

It's not that Morris is a sure fire lock to be an all star, but there isn't a guy on the roster that really plays first base. It is early though.

Right, both Prince and Weeks were very advanced players picked 7th and 2nd respectively.  Braun came a few years later, but still was obviously very advanced.  Right now we're drafting high ceiling players with big time upside, but a lot more HS kids.  They take a lot longer to develop.  Though we have had two first round picks the last two years...so hopefully we get a nice return on both of those players.

TomM

I was able to attend a Nashville Sounds game a few years ago! Was a fun time...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

DrSnide

Quote from: TomM on April 07, 2013, 07:04:14 PM
I was able to attend a Nashville Sound game a few years ago! Was a fun time...

Been to three Bevard County Manatee games now.  Always a great time and cheap to boot!!!!
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Scourge

Monday nights games-
Not many elite pitching prospects, but some very good outings.

AAA-
Frankie De La Cruz-A former top prospect who was traded to the Marlins as part of the Miguel Cabrera deal.  Here is what Baseball America had to say about him at the time;
At its best, his fastball compares favorably to those of Justin Verlander or Joel Zumaya. De la Cruz usually pitches in the mid- to high 90s and has reached 100 mph. His hard curveball is a genuine knee-buckler.

His line for last night was;
6IP 1H 0ER 0BB 5K's

If he can ever get his walks down, he has a chance to be a really viable pitcher for the Brewers(the case with most minor leaguers who throw hard).

Scooter Gennett had another hit and is still hitting .473 for the Sounds.

AA-Nothing much going on here prospect wise.

Kentrail Davis is still off to a ridiculous start hitting .500 and drawing walks like he always does.
1-2 1 BB 1R 1SB

Edit-Santo Manzanillo had another very good outing.  A great sign for the Brewers.  A guy who CAN throw over 100 with a slider that hits the lower 90's.  Might be our next closer.

A+ Brevard County didn't play

LowA-
The team with all the positional prospects of note.
Mich Haniger went 2-4 and is hitting .368 with a .458 OBP.
Clint Coultier the Catcher we drafted in the 1st round last year who had a great year in rookie ball straight out of HS is still struggling.  He did hit a 2R HR and has a ton of power, but he also had 3 K's.  Last year he had as many walks as K's which is unheard of from a HS kid going straight to professional baseball.  
Orlando Arcia the 18 year old SS went 1-4 with a double and is hitting .268 which is impressive in and of itself as he's very young to be playing in A ball after missing last year with a knee injury and is known for his great defense.

Pretty dull night for the most part.

Scourge

Last Night was much more interesting with both Thornburg and 2011 1st round pick Jed Bradley pitching.

AAA Nashville Sounds-Lost 5-3(were hitting just .188 as a team coming into the game even with Scooter Gennett almost hitting .500, so not a lot of offense from them so far).

Tyler Thornburg- struggled in the first inning giving up 2 runs and threw 31 of his 81 pitches in that inning(pitch counts are much lower in the minors obviously).
Ended up with 5IP 5H 3ER 6K and 7/1 GB/FO ratio.  So overall a pretty good start.

-Caleb Gindl had a huge game breaking out of a 0-17 slump to start the season.
Went 3-5 with a HR, 2B
Sean Halton, not Hunter Morris looks to be the most likely guy to call up in the event that the Brewers want someone else at 1st base as he had another good game going 2-4 and is hitting .304 so far while Morris after a great 1st game went 0-4.

AA Huntsville-No game

A+ Brevard County won 3-1
Jed Bradley had a great start and apparently looked even better than the results.  Last year when he was up and down, his velocity was down to 88-89 on average.  Last night, according to the Brevard County Podcast he was throwing 95 MPH with a "devastating change and a knee buckling curve ball."   For a guy who's struggled a little bit as the 15th pick in the draft in 2011, that's HUUUGE news.

Overall 6IP 3H 1 ER 5K 4/2 GO/FO

Very little offense, nobody with more than one hit.

LowA-Wisconsin

Postponed

Hey, two more good outings by Thornburg and Bradley.  Results aren't always the most important things obviously with a lot of younger pitchers as they may go out one game and the coach may decide that he wants to see him throw his change up where he would normally throw a slider or a curve, but at the higher levels, it's obviously nice to guys maintaining their velocity and racking up the K's and ground balls.

DrSnide

Scourge,

Please keep up the summaries as much as you can.  They have become part of my "must read" daily schedule.  Really do appreciate the time and effort.  Great job.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso