4 Homosexual NFL players to come out of closet?

Started by Scourge, April 05, 2013, 05:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scourge

Recently cut Ravens backup LB'er and ST's ace Brendon Ayanbadejo, a guy who's been very supportive of gay rights has said that 4 current gay NFL players are considering coming out of the closet at the same time.

How big of a deal do you think this would be?  I've heard NFL players come out and say that those players would be accepted and invited to come out and the other PC stuff, but we're in the midst of a Rutgers scandal right now in which the HC obviously does some outrageous things, but calls one player a "f---- fairy and a f----(faggot) and when one of the young defensive stars at CB for the 49'ers..the SAN FRANCISCO 49'ers was in hot water for homosexual slurs leading up to the Super Bowl(I don't recall what he said, I don't recall it being very bad, but it was an issue nonetheless) does anyone here REALLY believe that these players would be able to just go about their business?

That there wouldn't be questions every time a player who was gay got cut for instance like Ayanbandejo just did after he got into a pretty heated debate with a Senator over his comments supporting the issue? 

I just don't think that the NFL of all sports is ready for it.  Unless we're talking about a couple GREAT players...and a guy like Brett Favre(who's obviously not, but he was known as a tough guy and a great player) or JJ Watt, Clay Matthews, or whoever, I think there is going to be a LOT of public pushback and limited acceptance from inside football locker rooms.

Thoughts?  Maybe this should be on a different thread, but...it kinda falls into the middle.  I do think it's a worthy discussion however. 

DrSnide

I think the general public will greet it with a big yawn.  I think most people recognize there are and have been gay players in the NFL for years.  I suspect the hardest sell will be the other players on their own team on the team they are playing and of course the opposing team's fans who will say stuff just to taunt regardless.  

The important part will be if one of the big name players is supportive.  That would go a long way in the lockerroom and the league in general I guess.  Either way I suspect we will see in the next year or so.

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Ghetto

I agree with Dr. Snyder I just think that it's a big deal locker rooms but not the general public to go outside aborter the Wisconsin I think it's fine it's even less of a big deal game marriage and all is kind of things those things are far more excepted California West Coast East Coast but here Wisconsin we shouldn't have an issue with.

Haha. That was Maggie-esque. Siri needs some punctuation lessons! I'm leaving it though.... 😜
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Scourge

Quote from: DrSnide on April 05, 2013, 05:22:00 PM
I think the general public will greet it with a big yawn.  I think most people recognize there are and have been gay players in the NFL for years.  I suspect the hardest sell will be the other players on their own team on the team they are playing and of course the opposing team's fans who will say stuff just to taunt regardless.  

The important part will be if one of the big name players is supportive.  That would go a long way in the lockerroom and the league in general I guess.  Either way I suspect we will see in the next year or so.

I think there will definitely be big name players who are publicly supportive.  I've HEARD it speculated on Mike and Mike for the part of the segment I heard that THEY thought it would be the other way around.  That places like Philly, NE, and others would be just brutal to those players.

Plus, even if the GENERAL public is supportive, you KNOW these players will be well-well known players and they will recognized regularly on the streets or in public and there will definitely be people with homophobic slurs.

I also believe it will create a firestorm on public radio, and I could see some of the very religious right.....not screaming things at them per say(though some will like the crazy group in Kansas) but being vocally against it and sparking a conversation about how they're bad influences for children.

In the locker room....I don't think those players are going to be warmly received.  At best players will be indifferent.  But...we're still talking about a league that's over 70 pct(I think it was like 73 pct last year) black, and JUST statistically, young black men in athletics are more likely to be homophobic.  Homosexuality is also widely shunned in the Latino community as well, though that's not significantly important here. 

I agree though, if big name players come out that will help, and if a player that's established and well liked comes out that's going to help a great deal in his OWN locker room.....overall though, it'll be VERY difficult.

Todd

Quote from: Ghetto on April 05, 2013, 05:43:52 PM
I agree with Dr. Snyder I just think that it's a big deal locker rooms but not the general public to go outside aborter the Wisconsin I think it's fine it's even less of a big deal game marriage and all is kind of things those things are far more excepted California West Coast East Coast but here Wisconsin we shouldn't have an issue with.

Haha. That was Maggie-esque. Siri needs some punctuation lessons! I'm leaving it though.... 😜

Agreed, general public it will be either a non issue or supported, in the locker room, outside a few supporters I think there will be great resistance.  The 49er example I think is one that I think is the norm for most players either openly or underground.  I do think the Conservative flip floping on gay marriage are examples that if players do come out it may go a long way for acceptance.  You have Conservative Senators that were against gay marriage, that is of course until someone in their family is gay.  Make it personal and you'll see some changes.
"This page intentionally left blank".

Scourge

Quote from: Todd on April 06, 2013, 12:07:00 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 05, 2013, 05:43:52 PM

Agreed, general public it will be either a non issue or supported, in the locker room, outside a few supporters I think there will be great resistance.  The 49er example I think is one that I think is the norm for most players either openly or underground.  I do think the Conservative flip floping on gay marriage are examples that if players do come out it may go a long way for acceptance.  You have Conservative Senators that were against gay marriage, that is of course until someone in their family is gay.  Make it personal and you'll see some changes.

Yeah, that's certainly possible.  It's just human nature.  Of course there are those who have strong religious beliefs who are going to say, "it goes against my beliefs and it's not natural," and then cut ties with their children, nephews, etc...but by in large I think people will come to the conclusion that the person they've known they're entire life didn't choose to go decide a life that simply is NOT as easy as being a heterosexual. 

There is going to be a lot of resistance.  I'm just curious to see how much acceptance there will be, and more curious(though I'll never really know for certain) how these players are TRULY received in the locker room.  Is he the guy who all the sudden isn't invited out with the guys to go hit up the town?

grappler200

Interesting discussion...whoever posted that the NFL is the least ready for it is right...unfortunately they are the most popular so if some of them come out it may pave the way for some of the guys in baseball and the NBA. 

The locker room will be a tough sell.  Game day with opposing fans will be tough, game day when they have a bad game will be tough with their own fans, but in the end it will be ok...it will be a tough road to hoe, especially in the beginning though.

imnofish

Look at the Jackie Robinson story for a preview into what we can expect.  Social change is painful, but necessary.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Scourge

Quote from: imnofish on April 10, 2013, 10:12:25 AM
Look at the Jackie Robinson story for a preview into what we can expect.  Social change is painful, but necessary.

And sad because 50 years after the fact when it's just the accepted norm, you have to explain to kids why it was such a big issue. 

Could you imagine baseball without Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Bob Gibson, Barry Bonds(pre-roids as he still had a HOF career before he tooks the roids), Griffey, etc..etc..

bigG

I can't believe you left out Don Money. The greatest.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on April 13, 2013, 07:38:31 AM

??

dman

What is sad is that this is even a worthy topic in 2013......don't get your panties in a bunch scrouge, I am not talking about you making this a topic, more from the fact that it is even news.  :(  Really....what the heck does it matter??  A friend of mine could not have said it better when we found out one of our high school classmates was gay....he said "Who cares?!  Oh wait....it actually does bother me.....he must have not liked what he saw in the locker room cause he never asked me out!?!"   ;D

Scourge

Quote from: dman on April 13, 2013, 09:07:59 AM
What is sad is that this is even a worthy topic in 2013......don't get your panties in a bunch scrouge, I am not talking about you making this a topic, more from the fact that it is even news.  :(  Really....what the heck does it matter??  A friend of mine could not have said it better when we found out one of our high school classmates was gay....he said "Who cares?!  Oh wait....it actually does bother me.....he must have not liked what he saw in the locker room cause he never asked me out!?!"   ;D

I knew what you meant.  I said that we're going to have to explain to our grandchildren and great grandchildren why our society was the way it was just as we had to with the treatment of black people and the Jim Crow Laws, segregation, slavery, the way we've treated Indians, the trail of tears....etc..etc..etc...

Our country is ALWAYS becoming more socially progressive.  Our opinions on the rights of minorities, women, voting rights....have all shifted dramatically..even marijuana.  The only time I can remember us going backwards was prohibition and that didn't work out so well!

I still remember a good friend in HS coming out.  He wouldn't come and hang around all of his former friends or come back for the hollidays because he was so fearful of how we were going to treat him.  After a few years, he did, and despite hanging out with a group of friends who made homophobic comments regularily, "dude, that's gay," or "you homo," whatever it was, there was really no difference.  It speaks to what many of these Republican senators are going through.  When you know someone very well who is gay, a lot of the ideas you have in your mind go right out the window.

imnofish

Empathy, borne of personal experience, is the shortcut to enlightenment. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on April 13, 2013, 07:38:31 AM

Now thats the truth!!!!!!

Money to Gantner to Cooper,,,,,5,4,3 on the double play was something fun to be heard from Uke!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet