WIAA realignment

Started by jets152, April 03, 2013, 06:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jets152

Any thoughts/concerns about the WIAA's proposal? I imagine there will be a ton of discussion before anything is finalized, but any observations so far?
I would've had a chance in WISAA.

aarons23

Proposed WIAA realignment plan toaffect area conferences
Apr. 3, 2013 4:57 PM   |   0 Comments

A
A
Written by
The Reporter Media Staff

FILED UNDER
Varsitymisc
ADS BY PULSE 360
AdChoices
President Lowers Amount Homeowners Owe
Looking to refinance at 2.5% You need to read this...
Read more...
Shocking New Way To Lose Belly Fat
Green Coffee Burns Average 17 lbs in 22 days..
Read more...
Lansing, Michigan Arrest Records
Who do you know in Lansing that's been arrested? You? Your friends?
InstantCheckmate.com
The WIAA has unveiled a preliminary new realignment plan that affects eight conferences and nearly 70 high schools in the area.

There is no timetable for the realignment but based on previous WIAA realignment plans it would be at least a year or two away from reaching final approval and there could be changes made along the way.

One of the biggest items of note to come out of this plan is the creation of a new conference consisting of current members of the Flyway Conference, Eastern Wisconsin Conference and Eastern Valley Conference.

Winnebago Lutheran would no longer play intra-city rival St. Mary's Springs or North Fond du Lac as the Vikings would join the new league along with EWC members Waupun, Campbellsport, Kewaskum and Plymouth.

Berlin and Ripon, members of the EVC, would round out the yet to be named league.

The current Flyway Conference membership has school enrollments ranging from 240 to 428, with WLA right in the middle with an enrollment of 335.

The Vikings would have the lowest enrollment by far in the new conference - 135 less than the next lowest in Campbellsport - and be competing against the likes of Plymouth (797 enrollment), Kewaskum (596) and Waupun (593).

The rest of the Flyway Conference would remain intact and just be a seven-school conference under the proposed plan.

The new league would also eliminate the long trips to Two Rivers and Kiel for Waupun, replacing them with shorter drives to WLA, Ripon and Berlin.

With Waupun, Cambellsport, Kewaskum and Plymouth being taken out of the EWC, that conference would add Chilton, Denmark, Roncalli and Valders to the mix.

The Fox Valley Association will also get a slightly different look as Hortonville would replace Menasha in the 10-team league.

Menasha had the lowest enrollment of any FVA school this year at 980 - about 125 then the next lowest school, Kaukauna. Hortonville, which is currently a member of the Bay Conference, has an enrollment of 1,068 but would still be the smallest school in the FVA.

Menasha would be second to Green Bay East in enrollment in the new-look Bay Conference.

The new plan did not affect any Trailways schools.

View Comments (0)   |  Share your thoughts
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

thequad

Bay conference enrollment under realignment,

New London, 728

Shawano, 846

Marinette, 628

Menash, 978

Fox Valley Lutheran, 611

Seymour, 711

GB East, 1257

GB West, 958

Luxemburg Casco, 605,

West De Pere, 817
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Hawkeye Pierce

Xavier should remain in the EVC and Luxemburg-Casco should be added to it.  This would give the EVC 10 teams and the Bay 8, the numbers the WIAA want.
If we do not learn from the past we are condemned to repeat it.......

cooch

Quote from: thequad on April 06, 2013, 06:31:47 PM

New London, 728

Shawano, 846

Marinette, 628

Menash, 978

Fox Valley Lutheran, 611

Seymour, 711

GB East, 1257

GB West, 958

Luxemburg Casco, 605,

West De Pere, 817

I get its  a population thing but Menasha to the Bay?? and GB East? Where does Oconto Falls enrollment 607 go? If your going to add FVL to the Bay, why not go with Little Chute enrollment 582 and Freedom enrollment 521 to the Bay? and keep Menasha and East in a bigger school conference.  Denmark is at 558 so leave them in.  No to Menasha and GB East to the Bay. 

IF a change needs to be made I would rather see the Bay be:
Marinette 628, Oconto Falls 607, Peshtigo 563,  Little Chute 582, Freedom 521, FVL 611, Seymour 711, Luxemburg-Casco 605, Denmark 558. (Clintonville is at 611 but, I don't think anyone wants that drive time, around and hour for all schools listed, they were in the Bay Conference up until the 90's I believe.)

Nine teams, those Numbers & travel make a heck of lot more sense to me. The population difference would be under 200 at its largest difference. Your looking at over 600 with the GB schools and if you remember wrestling is a combined sport for GBw/sw and East/Preble your talking close to a 2,000 student enrollment difference. With drive time;  Mar, OF and Pesh all within 20 minutes, Free, Lil chute, FVL, Seymour all within 20 minutes. They are all within 40 minutes to Denmark. Den and LC within 20 minutes. Lux Casco is the most out of the way school, taking most schools 45 minutes to an 75 minutes to get there. For wrestling anyway i believe all the schools are the same division 2.

Be Unbeatable. Someone may score more points than you, but hold your head high, know you gave your all and go back to work.  That is being unbeatable.

cooch

New London, 728

Shawano, 846

Marinette, 628

Menash, 978

Fox Valley Lutheran,

Seymour, 711

GB East, 1257

GB West, 958

Luxemburg Casco, 605,

West De Pere, 817

You know after rereading my post maybe it would be easier to just Leave Hortonville in this version of the Bay, and Pull LC and Marinette and put them in a smaller school conference with where ever OF is going. They all only have 600 for school population.
Be Unbeatable. Someone may score more points than you, but hold your head high, know you gave your all and go back to work.  That is being unbeatable.

thequad

I got this from an article in the Press Gazette. Looks like a heck of a lot of traveling for L-C and Marinette. Must be a better solution. I can't remember where O-F was going. Good ideas from WIAA.

MFriedman

OF would be going to the Eastern Valley as they will call it. Teams would be Freedom, clintonville, waupaca, winneconnie, little chute and other schools in that area. The closest school to OF is Freedom.

cooch

Quote from: MFriedman on April 07, 2013, 06:41:59 PM
OF would be going to the Eastern Valley as they will call it. Teams would be Freedom, clintonville, waupaca, winneconnie, little chute and other schools in that area. The closest school to OF is Freedom.

That's a lot of driving for OF.  Waupaca and Winneconnie?  OF going to fly there or just get a hotel and go back home in the morning?

bigoil

Quote from: cooch on April 07, 2013, 07:05:54 PM
Quote from: MFriedman on April 07, 2013, 06:41:59 PM

That's a lot of driving for OF.  Waupaca and Winneconnie?  OF going to fly there or just get a hotel and go back home in the morning?

Wrightstown would be joining this conference, the smallest member. I believe Fox Valley Lutheran would be the other school.

cooch

Considering GB W/SW practices at Southwest and GB P/E practices at Preble. I would think that the GB schools would not wrestle in the Bay Conference?  I would think that where ever they practice is the "Home School" and would go to that conference.

So, the Bay would be an eight team conference for wrestling?

Always interesting when they pull these realignment deals. Hard to make everyone happy.

thequad

This alignment makes very little sense to me. It would create an awful lot of traveling for quite a few schools. OF would be just be ridiculous. It would also be bad for LC. I think there would be more schools unhappy with this, than there would be happy schools.

bigoil

New London, 728

Shawano, 846

Marinette, 628

Menash, 978

Fox Valley Lutheran, 611

Seymour, 711

GB East, 1257

GB West, 958

Luxemburg Casco, 605,

West De Pere, 817
I thought I read Xavier is in and FVL is in with Eastern Valley.

thequad

That is correct, FVL is not going to the Bay, Xvaier is. Sorry my bad.

cooch

Read that the Seymour A.D. is pushing for a 12 school conference.  He said he liked the last version of the Bay conference much more than this one or the suggested one.

Xavier has 528 students. They really want to be a part of the proposed Bay?