Could not have said it better....

Started by wrestler_73, April 03, 2013, 05:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Black

Bart Chelesvig - career change
Terry Steiner - better opportunity (USA Wrestling)
Troy Steiner - position was eliminated by the administration (Advance, Iowa=alma mater now Oregon St.)
Cary Kolat - not interested in coaching at the time (moved to Pitt to train with Sanshiro Abe)
Sean Bormet - better opportunity (Michigan = alma mater, Overtime, etc.)
Cory Wallman - career change
Donny Pritzlaff - 'different' opportunity (Michigan)
Jared Frayer - better opportunity (Oklahoma = alma mater)
Ryan Morningstar - better opportunity (Iowa = alma mater)
Isaiah 26:8

Scourge

Quote from: Kevin Black on April 08, 2013, 02:53:57 PM
Troy Steiner - position was eliminated by the administration (Advance, Iowa=alma mater now Oregon St.)
Cary Kolat - not interested in coaching at the time (moved to Pitt to train with Sanshiro Abe)

How did Morningstar get a "better," opportunity?  Isn't he a strength and conditioning coach?  Does that really equate to a "better," opportunity than being the top assistant?

That's just one question...

dman

Kevin Black = UW Head Wrestling Coach???  Come on Kevin!???  ;)

Serious question....even though I am serious about you making a great head coach for the Badgers....but would you ever consider being the head coach for the Badgers?  Understand if you would rather not answer.  :)

Kevin Black

Morningstar wanted to be at Iowa.  It was "better" for him and it's why he's there.

npope

Quote from: Scourge on April 08, 2013, 03:04:29 PM
How did Morningstar get a "better," opportunity?  Isn't he a strength and conditioning coach?  Does that really equate to a "better," opportunity than being the top assistant?

"Better" is certainly a subjective term, but it my understanding that some programs have a lot more booster money to throw around so...Morningstar may have actually ended up making more money AND being back in the fold at Iowa. The title of the position probabaly has less to do with the realities...I suspect.

But Morningstar also said that he couldn't think of any other opportunity that could have lured him away from the Badgers. Maybe just "nice talk," but we have had a couple of ex-coaches that certainly didn't feel compelled to offer even a token of credit to Davis. So I don't think Morningstar was about Davis as much as it was about Iowa.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Scourge

Quote from: npope on April 08, 2013, 03:22:50 PM
Quote from: Scourge on April 08, 2013, 03:04:29 PM

"Better" is certainly a subjective term, but it my understanding that some programs have a lot more booster money to throw around so...Morningstar may have actually ended up making more money AND being back in the fold at Iowa. The title of the position probabaly has less to do with the realities...I suspect.

But Morningstar also said that he couldn't think of any other opportunity that could have lured him away from the Badgers. Maybe just "nice talk," but we have had a couple of ex-coaches that certainly didn't feel compelled to offer even a token of credit to Davis. So I don't think Morningstar was about Davis as much as it was about Iowa.

That was kinda my point.  With all due respect to Kevin Black, just simply stating, "better opportunity," well, he went from the top guy to what, the 5th or 6th guy on Iowa's staff including both Brands?

I guess that's a bit of a problem if that's so much better of an opportunity, even with him being an Iowa guy.

Pritzlaff actually ended up with a demotion AWAY from his former school.

I just hope Branvold's around for a while.  I really am convinced he's going to be a helluva coach for a while and I think he knows which Wisconsin kids project well at the next level.  And I hope Graff sticks around after next year. 

I don't think you can possibly understate the importance of having guys training for that next level in the room in terms of recruiting and development.  Heck, if Branvold's wrestling 211, I would imagine he wrestles with Medberry which can only help him when it comes to McMullen in the future for example.  Graff sticking around and wrestling with Thielke given Graff's incredible offense on his feet and so on.

Miltown grappler

The reasons for leaving are not as simple as career change for all of the coaches that are listed.  Those that have ever talked to most of them, know the real problem within the program.  It is Barry and he has to go for real change to happen. 

The current assistant coaches and future assistant coaches will do great things in spite of Barry.  Current wrestlers and future wrestlers will not have as great of an experience as possible because of the leadership currently in the program.  Someone like Ben Askren would make the experience something special.

The apathy of those that defend Barry and his track record over the years will have to live with the program possibly being dropped in the future because of the leadership decisions in many areas.  If my opinion causes someone to choose elsewhere....that would be ridiculous....But perhaps in their best interest.

billymurphy

Mr. Black was correct according to the Iowa website.  Morningstar took an Assistant Coaching job at Iowa. (Iowa is better).  Pritzlaff took an Assistant Coach job which ended up being a higher paying job than he got as UW's top Assistant Coach. (higher pay is better)

TOM BRANDS
Head Coach
7th year

TERRY BRANDS
Associate Head Coach
12th season at Iowa

RYAN MORNINGSTAR
Assistant Coach
1st year at Iowa

KURT BACKES
Volunteer Assistant Coach
3rd year at Iowa

LUKE EUSTICE
Director of Wrestling Operations
7th year at Iowa

LUKE LOFTHOUSE
Strength and Conditioning Coach
1st year at Iowa

Ghetto

I'm gonna add that title:

Director of Wrestling Operations

I really like that. Not sure what that means, but its a great title.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

dad 2 5

Quote from: Kevin Black on April 08, 2013, 02:53:57 PM

Kevin that is a good list and explanations. But of course not all are going to agree with you. I do hope this staff stays together and moves the program forward. I have never asked BD how long he plans on coaching. That would be interesting to hear if he wants to move up in the department, not that that would be a good move or focus on the Badger Club Team?

hammen

Quote from: Miltown grappler on April 08, 2013, 04:45:54 PM
The reasons for leaving are not as simple as career change for all of the coaches that are listed.  Those that have ever talked to most of them, know the real problem within the program.  It is Barry and he has to go for real change to happen. 

The current assistant coaches and future assistant coaches will do great things in spite of Barry.  Current wrestlers and future wrestlers will not have as great of an experience as possible because of the leadership currently in the program.  Someone like Ben Askren would make the experience something special.

The apathy of those that defend Barry and his track record over the years will have to live with the program possibly being dropped in the future because of the leadership decisions in many areas.  If my opinion causes someone to choose elsewhere....that would be ridiculous....But perhaps in their best interest.

I guess I must've not talked to all of them  ???

Derek Miller 33

I totally agree these assistant coaches are complete class. After brief conversations at the cheesehead with tb and kr it didn't take long to see their passion and and very good insight to the sport. I believe they add the year round passion alot of people want to see. I also think they bring credibility to their postions when they talk with people you can take what they say to heart.

Kevin Black

These types of threads are very disheartening for me, to say the least.  

I made the choice to stay in Wisconsin to compete in college because it felt like it was the "right" thing to do as an athlete.  At 18 years old, I thought I had a responsibility to the Wisconsin wrestling community who helped raise me, was an integral part of the success I had as a high school athlete and played a large role in developing me into the man I am today.

I believed in Wisconsin because I was emotionally attached to the wrestling community in this state and was/am a lifelong Badgers fan.  I was also full of hope and believed in myself.  15 years later, my perspective on life and wrestling have drastically changed.  My overall feelings of the entire Wisconsin wrestling community have also changed.

I still believe in Wisconsin because I choose to.  As a result, I make a concerted effort to support the program publicly because I know there are individuals who are in the same place I was as a senior in high school.  They want to be a part of the Wisconsin wrestling community for their entire wrestling career because they believe in themselves, regardless of the particulars (administration, coaching staff, etc.).  Some have dreamt of wearing a Badgers singlet since they were toddlers.  I don't want to stand in the way of those dreams because I had the same one and I'm glad I tried to pursue it.  The outcome of my competitive career wasn't as desirable as I would have liked it to be or what I envisioned at 18.  There are many things to consider when understanding why.  It could have been my own shortcomings, the program's shortcomings, the coaches shortcomings or a multitude of other things and a combination of all of them.

I'm sure many of the posters understand this and genuinely believe they're doing their part to assure those who choose Wisconsin have the best experience possible.  Most of the posters want what's best for the Wisconsin wrestling community, however, some of them become focused solely on themselves and not the entire community.  I don't agree with many of the opinions on this thread and don't expect everyone to agree with all of my opinions because we all have different backgrounds and life experiences (although, I'm not sharing my opinions about the program publicly).  Healthy and productive dialogue is possible in an Internet forum setting as long as participants are respectful and truthful.  

To insinuate the reason the assistant coaches mentioned left for anything other than a "better opportunity" (anyway you'd like to define that term) is simply conjecture and entirely unproductive.

imnofish

Years ago, I left a career in manufacturing to seek a career in education.  My buddies that stayed behind made a lot more money than I did, but I saw teaching as a better opportunity to make a positive difference in the world and live where I wanted to live.  I took a job as a night custodian at a school, to accommodate my college schedule.  Upon graduating, I took a teaching job hundreds of miles away, despite the fact that it paid less than my custodial salary.  Does my decision to leave that district for an opportunity that better matched my goals, reflect negatively on its leaders?  Absolutely not!  My point is that people set their own goals and ideals; then act accordingly.  Assigning our own agendas and assumptions to their decisions is illogical, inaccurate, and misguided, IMO.  Promoting unfounded, negative assumptions about the leaders they leave behind, as they pursue their goals and dreams, and blaming those leaders for the decisions, is nothing short of unfair.  Furthermore, to cast a negative public light on a program and organization, by repeatedly promoting gossip motivated by our own personal bias, is the epitome of selfishness. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Barou

Quote from: imnofish on April 09, 2013, 10:34:01 AM
Years ago, I left a career in manufacturing to seek a career in education.  My buddies that stayed behind made a lot more money than I did, but I saw teaching as a better opportunity to make a positive difference in the world and live where I wanted to live.  I took a job as a night custodian at a school, to accommodate my college schedule.  Upon graduating, I took a teaching job hundreds of miles away, despite the fact that it paid less than my custodial salary.  Does my decision to leave that district for an opportunity that better matched my goals, reflect negatively on its leaders?  Absolutely not!  My point is that people set their own goals and ideals; then act accordingly.  Assigning our own agendas and assumptions to their decisions is illogical, inaccurate, and misguided, IMO.  Promoting unfounded, negative assumptions about the leaders they leave behind, as they pursue their goals and dreams, and blaming those leaders for the decisions, is nothing short of unfair.  Furthermore, to cast a negative public light on a program and organization, by repeatedly promoting gossip motivated by our own personal bias, is the epitome of selfishness. 

Some could argue that not everything is "unfounded". At least one former wrestler was straight up lied to during a recruiting visit and Donny s seperation wasn't amicable and to say he left for a "better opportunity" is ridiculous.
JHI Mafia