Could not have said it better....

Started by wrestler_73, April 03, 2013, 05:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

I think this is the same for HS wrestling.  Literally, the head coach can no longer be the quiet technician.  The head coach needs to be the guy that thinks outside the box and finds ways to bring excitement to the wrestlers and fans.  He must be chief fundraiser and booster.  He then needs good assistants to do all the work that head coaches used to do.

Motivators and promotional experts with the outgoing personalities will make better head coaches these days than the quiet leader that knows everything there is to know about wrestling but cannot get anyone excited about it.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Harris

Good video.  I agree that all the little things on and off the mat make a difference in putting fans in the seats and building a program.  As I have written before:

1.  Summer camps help recruiting and help the state of wrestling - get the camps ramped up to get the best wrestlers wanting to come during the summer.  Day camps are not worth it.  You need to go back to overnight camps in the dorms with the UW wrestlers and alumni as counselors.  They should be present at each session if possible.  The young kids would love this.  End the camp with a tournament.
2.  Hold a coaching clinic each year similar to the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association.  Make it worthwhile for the state coaches to come to Madison.  Help them become better coaches and it will help you by building support.
3.  Invite wrestling teams through the high school coaching staff to come watch a dual meet and make it an experience for the team.  This builds support and fans.  Give the high school team a tour of the facilities.  Have your redshirts give the tour.  Make sure the highschool team gets the royal treatment.
4.  Get the Badger coaching staff and athletes involved with the state wrestling tournament.  They should be visible and helping out.  Why can't they hand out medals?  Why can't they congratulate the athletes on the podium? 
5.  Get the Wisconsin Program in the state wrestling program and on the scoreboard during the finals.  Make a cool video that can play during state.  Put a cool write up in the program. etc......

I could go on and on but you get the point.

Ghetto

Quote from: coconut joe on April 03, 2013, 06:05:58 PM
How about that screen saver in the background?  That might be the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

Comes with every Apple computer.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Ghetto

Quote from: Harris on April 03, 2013, 08:03:41 PM
Good video.  I agree that all the little things on and off the mat make a difference in putting fans in the seats and building a program.  As I have written before:

1.  Summer camps help recruiting and help the state of wrestling - get the camps ramped up to get the best wrestlers wanting to come during the summer.  Day camps are not worth it.  You need to go back to overnight camps in the dorms with the UW wrestlers and alumni as counselors.  They should be present at each session if possible.  The young kids would love this.  End the camp with a tournament.
2.  Hold a coaching clinic each year similar to the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association.  Make it worthwhile for the state coaches to come to Madison.  Help them become better coaches and it will help you by building support.
3.  Invite wrestling teams through the high school coaching staff to come watch a dual meet and make it an experience for the team.  This builds support and fans.  Give the high school team a tour of the facilities.  Have your redshirts give the tour.  Make sure the highschool team gets the royal treatment.
4.  Get the Badger coaching staff and athletes involved with the state wrestling tournament.  They should be visible and helping out.  Why can't they hand out medals?  Why can't they congratulate the athletes on the podium? 
5.  Get the Wisconsin Program in the state wrestling program and on the scoreboard during the finals.  Make a cool video that can play during state.  Put a cool write up in the program. etc......

+1
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Todd

All great ideas.  Hope someone there at UW is listening.  I think if you look at Ben's points you could point to UW as one of the programs that isn't getting it done in many of those ways. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

dad 2 5

All great points but
1) The ran them but I think there were more kids from a FL team then WI. Attendance was low and that is why they are trying to reach out to clubs and HS teams this summer.
2) They do have the one small wrestle off afternoon meeting
3) I know they would be open to this. The guys (wrestlers and coaches) are hands on after each home meet
4) kind of tough when they are at NCAA or gearing up for it
5) like the idea a lot!

There is a lot of work that needs to be done between the UW; clubs; HS; WI Wrestling club, etc. Maybe Trevor will get on and address some of them.

head57

Quote from: Todd on April 03, 2013, 10:42:14 PM

All great ideas.  Hope someone there at UW is listening.  I think if you look at Ben's points you could point to UW as one of the programs that isn't getting it done in many of those ways. 

Pure speculation, but by looking into some of the things he said, I think Ben had UW at the forefront of his thoughts while he delivering these thoughts.

Again, purely speculation.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

dman

Great video Ben!!  Couldn't agree more!

leg turk

Anybody have Barry Alvarez's email address?

buc65

Handles II

Has Ben applied for many D1 coaching positions?

Gutwrench

Quote from: Handles II on April 04, 2013, 02:35:47 PM
Has Ben applied for many D1 coaching positions?

I don't know, but I'd be very intrigued in giving him a shot.

hammen

I imagine it would be difficult with just becoming a father and continuing his MMA dominance. I would never doubt Ben though, he dominates in most everything he does. He would be great to have in any college room. I really like what he's doing developing Southeast WI wrestling right now, so I selfishly hope that he continues that course for the next few years. I think it could be an inevitable career path though (him being a head coach and bringing a program to the top).