162-0 BABY!!!!

Started by Ghetto, April 02, 2013, 09:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

Just thought I'd beat the boss to it.

Not sure they'll be in the hunt late, but nice to start the season off with a win, especially with Axeford coming in and blowing yet another save in the ninth. Maybe them coming back will ease his nerves a bit and he can go back to being a great closer. The Brewers can't afford for him to blow a ton of games this year. With Gamel out, and questions in the bullpen, they need him to be near perfect like he was two years ago.

Not sure what the deal is with Estrada pitching game two. Want to see more of the bullpen? Rarely does Estrada go more than 5 or 6 innings in a start. Interesting to see Lohse in the spot he is in the rotation. It must work out down the road somewhere, or maybe it's just a matter of getting rest after that late exhibition season start.

ESPN is reporting that Braun is going down for past drug activities, but I wonder if that won't fall under the last time he got popped? If he gets 50 games, the season is over. They just can't come close to making up his absence.

I was close last year. I'll say they win 85 games. Not exactly 162-0.  ;D
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Houndhead

Axford only has one blown save for the year.  ;D

Ghetto

Yep, 1 for 1. I was referring to the 9 blown saves he had last year, and other times where he gave away wins.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

boowrestle

Gamel being out???Wasnt going to factor into season anyways,only thing that will stop Brewers from making playoff run is if Braun is out for major amount of time.
you can run but you cannot hide.

DrSnide

It will be huge if Ramirez can avoid his traditional slow start to the season, especially with Hart out at least a month by the sounds of it. 
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Ghetto

Quote from: boowrestle on April 02, 2013, 11:26:58 AM
Gamel being out???Wasnt going to factor into season anyways,only thing that will stop Brewers from making playoff run is if Braun is out for major amount of time.

I think Gamel is a .290, 20 HR, 80-95 RBI guy. Guess we'll have to disagree. Again.

Todd

Quote from: Ghetto on April 02, 2013, 09:23:01 AM

Not sure they'll be in the hunt late, but nice to start the season off with a win, especially with Axeford coming in and blowing yet another save in the ninth. Maybe them coming back will ease his nerves a bit and he can go back to being a great closer. The Brewers can't afford for him to blow a ton of games this year. With Gamel out, and questions in the bullpen, they need him to be near perfect like he was two years ago.

Not sure what the deal is with Estrada pitching game two. Want to see more of the bullpen? Rarely does Estrada go more than 5 or 6 innings in a start. Interesting to see Lohse in the spot he is in the rotation. It must work out down the road somewhere, or maybe it's just a matter of getting rest after that late exhibition season start.

ESPN is reporting that Braun is going down for past drug activities, but I wonder if that won't fall under the last time he got popped? If he gets 50 games, the season is over. They just can't come close to making up his absence.

And I was there for the first one!  Seriously, I'm sticking by my 78-84 prediction, I think that was it.  If Braun does go down I reserve the right to lower that.  Axeford was disappointing and at first I was caught up in his striking out the side save the one home run ball but he did fall behind in his first two batters and had to battle back to get to 3-2 for both of them.  He did get the strike outs in the end. Lucroy took the heat for calling a FB instead of a curve and that was easy for him to do considering he hit the SF to win the game. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

DrSnide

Quote from: Ghetto on April 02, 2013, 11:58:34 AM

I think Gamel is a .290, 20 HR, 80-95 RBI guy. Guess we'll have to disagree. Again.

and the question is who would you rather have at 1st for the 4 to 6 weeks Hart is gone?  Gamel was by far the best option they had in my opinion.

Ghetto

Quote from: Todd on April 02, 2013, 12:01:59 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 02, 2013, 09:23:01 AM

And I was there for the first one!  Seriously, I'm sticking by my 78-84 prediction, I think that was it.  If Braun does go down I reserve the right to lower that.  Axeford was disappointing and at first I was caught up in his striking out the side save the one home run ball but he did fall behind in his first two batters and had to battle back to get to 3-2 for both of them.  He did get the strike outs in the end. Lucroy took the heat for calling a FB instead of a curve and that was easy for him to do considering he hit the SF to win the game. 

I never made it into the game, but his ninth was similar to many of the blown saves he has had over the past two years. His curveball placement is as important as his fastball. If he can't find the zone with the breaking ball, guys can sit on the fastball, which tends to be over the plate. If he's got both pitches he's next to unhittable.

littleguy301

Quote from: Ghetto on April 02, 2013, 11:58:34 AM

I think he is also but the huge problem is the guy will NEVER be healthy to have those numbers. 2 knees isnt a good thing at this point in his career.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

boowrestle

Yes Ghetto we do disagree on Gamel,great minor league #s,hasnt done squat when up in the big league and cannot stay healthy,oh and i have heard not too great of a attitude either(not a good combination).Oh and by the way,i will take a proven major league hitter like Gonzalez for a month at 1st base over gamel any day!JMO,.

DrSnide

Quote from: boowrestle on April 02, 2013, 06:17:30 PM
Yes Ghetto we do disagree on Gamel,great minor league #s,hasnt done squat when up in the big league and cannot stay healthy,oh and i have heard not too great of a attitude either(not a good combination).Oh and by the way,i will take a proven major league hitter like Gonzalez for a month at 1st base over gamel any day!JMO,.

Gonzalez is a career .247 BA, less than 300 OBP guy in decline.  Those are not good 1st base numbers by any measure.  He's proved to be a medicore major league hitter - not bad for a SS but really sub-par for 1B. 

littleguy301

Quote from: DrSnide on April 03, 2013, 02:04:58 PM
Quote from: boowrestle on April 02, 2013, 06:17:30 PM

Gonzalez is a career .247 BA, less than 300 OBP guy in decline.  Those are not good 1st base numbers by any measure.  He's proved to be a medicore major league hitter - not bad for a SS but really sub-par for 1B. 

But for the first month I can live with Gonzalez. I dont think he is a bad choice by default by any means.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

boowrestle

Gonzalez sub par at 1st base,so a even trade off then if Gamel was healthy.JMO