Nationals?

Started by 911Dad, March 27, 2013, 02:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

911Dad

Making our first trip to Nationals in Cedar Rapids next week.  Is it much different in how it's run?  Any suggestions for a newbie?

Just hope the kid's got no illusions...looks like the major leagues...

Wish him luck,

-Dad

Greco

USAW/Cliff Keen Folkstyle Nationals
http://www.themat.com/events/default.php?page=default&EventID=28384

Go to Cedar Falls instead of Cedar Rapids  ;)

- Registration
There is a limit, so register right away.

- Coaches
Wrist bands will be sold for $10 online and at registration. You can't purchase a coaches card on site (because of background check time), so get it done ahead of time.

Two certified coaches maximum allowed in each competitor`s corner. To videotape any match at mat side, the operator must be one of the two certified coaches in the corner.

Kids Coaches: Floor passes will only be issued to those individuals with a current USAW Coaches Membership Card and are a minimum USAW NCEP Copper certified (photo I.D. required).

Click here for Copper Online Certification.

Cadet and Junior Coaches: Floor passes will only be issued to those individuals with a current USAW Coaches Membership Card and are a minimum USAW NCEP Bronze certified (photo I.D. required).

- Weigh Ins
Read near the bottom of  http://www.themat.com/events/default.php?page=schedule&EventID=28384

It's a big venue with over 20 mats on an indoor football field and the brackets might be large as well, but tell your wrestler that the mats are the same size as always and he only has to compete against one person at a time.  :)

Good luck!   :)

911Dad

Uh, yeah, not sure why I typed "Falls"...d'oh!

Thanks for the info...

-Dad

tjtoad71

A couple hints from a parent:
Don't try to smuggle things in...they are alot more strict here...even water bottles and they DO check bags!

Bring old singlets that maybe don't fit...my son loves trading singlets and alot of kids have gear there to trade/sell.

My boy has never placed but we continue to go for great matches and experience...the kids still love it!  Have fun!!!

Rook2105

They also sell parents passes so a parent can go down on the floor u just can not go on the mats.

Greco

Quote from: Rook2105 on March 27, 2013, 06:33:52 PM
They also sell parents passes so a parent can go down on the floor u just can not go on the mats.

I don't see that anywhere on the site. It might not be the case anymore.

"Kids Coaches: Floor passes will only be issued to those individuals with a current USAW Coaches Membership Card and are a minimum USAW NCEP Copper certified (photo I.D. required). "

mike

Nope

padre

Quote from: 911Dad on March 27, 2013, 02:43:03 PM
Making our first trip to Nationals in Cedar Rapids next week.  Is it much different in how it's run?  Any suggestions for a newbie?

Just hope the kid's got no illusions...looks like the major leagues...

Wish him luck,

-Dad

Enjoy the weekend.  Always make that last weekend positive for the future.

Lots of people on the mats(athletes and coaches) before, during and after matches.  Make sure your son showers soon after matches or invest in some wipes....skin infections run wild.

cooch

Considering I had to get my 14 year old son a USA coaches card to be on the floor for his little brother (14 yr old did not wrestle) at preseason nationals.  I am pretty sure you better have your USA wrestling card and Certification.
Be Unbeatable. Someone may score more points than you, but hold your head high, know you gave your all and go back to work.  That is being unbeatable.

boowrestle

Only Wrestlers and certified coaches are allowed on the floor,there are no parents passes,but iam sure there are parents that sneak down,cadets/juniors session is very calm and unconjested,younger session is still a zoo cause the younger kids parents just dont understand the rules ???.
you can run but you cannot hide.

padre

You need to be cerified for your age group also....not just a USA card...have seen some confused by this.

boowrestle

younger age sessions coaches must be minimum of copper certified,cadet/juniors must be minimum of bronze certified.JMo,if you have choice skip copper and go right to bronze then you are covered when your wrestler gets older.This tournament is a great experience.

Say-Say

You need copper certification as well. It says there is an online course, but I can't seem to find it.

boowrestle

Say-say,i know couple people that never got copper certified that are bronze certified,they were in my bronze class.They were told by guy that was doing teaching the class that once bronze certified not neccessary to take copper class.Copper class is about 3hrs in classroom and bronze is 3.5 classroom and 3.5 actually in wrestling room(basically whole day affair).

jw52

I got my Bronze card without having a copper. Kept telling myself when my boy was in youth that I was gonna do copper. Nationals used to sell press passes to get on the floor and you could coach with them. i dont think they allow it anymore? When he approached schoolboy and I knew I needed to get a bronze, I found a clinic and got it done. It was pretty painless, although it did take all day. Got mine in baraboo a couple years ago.