Freestyle & Greco State tournament history?

Started by Greco, March 26, 2013, 09:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

I still remember Dennis Hall whipping me up pretty good at state.  I don't have that bracket. ;D
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

gablesgrip1

woody53

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

the mayor

The Mayor
If you can catch the chicken Rock, you can catch Creed.

Mat Warrior

And people say youth wrestling doesn't mean anything because nobody will remember after youth. ;D ;D

padre

Quote from: Mat Warrior on March 30, 2013, 09:19:25 AM
And people say youth wrestling doesn't mean anything because nobody will remember after youth. ;D ;D

Agreed.

npope

Quote from: Mat Warrior on March 30, 2013, 09:19:25 AM

I think you are misinterpreting what some have said on this topic. The comments typically relate more to keeping things in perspective; the rest of a kid's life shouldn't be defined by his/her win in some schoolboy tournament 25 years ago (or a state WIAA meet 20 years ago). It's all about perspective - rather than that it doesn't matter.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Recon

I have some old programs from the WWF freestyle state tournament in Wisconsin Rapids.  If I can get them scanned to a photo sharing site I'll put them up.  There are a lot of good names in there.

Many have posted already, but from my recollection, there were six qualifying regional tournaments with age groups of 10 and under, 12 and under, 14 and under and Cadets.  Between two and six qualified for the WWF state tournament from each regional depending on how many kids were at the regional.  I only remember wrestling on Friday night at the state tournament as a Cadet.  Regionals were in early April and the state tournament was a week or two later, I seem to remember it being the 3rd or 4th weekend in April.

When I participated, early to late 1980s, the top four qualified for the Northern Plains meet, which we all referred to as "Nationals."  As a Cadet, if you were in the top two, you qualified for Northern Plains as well as Cadet Nationals.  Northern Plains was in June and Cadet Nationals later in the summer.  They gave medals to the top four and ribbons to 5th and 6th at the state meet.  Northern Plains was in LaCrosse, Lincoln, NE; Storm Lake, IA and Bismark, ND if I remember right.

Matches were either 1-1-1 or 2-2-2 and at some point switched to a single four or five minute period.  I think a tech fall was 15 and I know one year Rocco Marchionda put me in a leg lace and got to 15 really quickly!

dman

To funny Recon.....I remember wrestling Brandon Paulson one year at the Northern Plains in Rochester, MN.....was about a 15 second match with him putting me in a leg lace and walking me around the mat.  At least I got to say I wrestled an olympian!  Ha!  :)

TRX

Quote from: Recon on April 01, 2013, 09:18:01 PM
I have some old programs from the WWF freestyle state tournament in Wisconsin Rapids.  If I can get them scanned to a photo sharing site I'll put them up.  There are a lot of good names in there.

Many have posted already, but from my recollection, there were six qualifying regional tournaments with age groups of 10 and under, 12 and under, 14 and under and Cadets.  Between two and six qualified for the WWF state tournament from each regional depending on how many kids were at the regional.  I only remember wrestling on Friday night at the state tournament as a Cadet.  Regionals were in early April and the state tournament was a week or two later, I seem to remember it being the 3rd or 4th weekend in April.

When I participated, early to late 1980s, the top four qualified for the Northern Plains meet, which we all referred to as "Nationals."  As a Cadet, if you were in the top two, you qualified for Northern Plains as well as Cadet Nationals.  Northern Plains was in June and Cadet Nationals later in the summer.  They gave medals to the top four and ribbons to 5th and 6th at the state meet.  Northern Plains was in LaCrosse, Lincoln, NE; Storm Lake, IA and Bismark, ND if I remember right.

Matches were either 1-1-1 or 2-2-2 and at some point switched to a single four or five minute period.  I think a tech fall was 15 and I know one year Rocco Marchionda put me in a leg lace and got to 15 really quickly!

I remember qualifying for freestyle state from the DC Everest regional one year and later at Lakeland College (mid 80s). Yes the top four at freestyle state in Wisconsin Rapids qualified for "Nationals" which really was the Northern Plains Regional. I remember wrestling at Northern Plains in Lacrosse at the civic center in 1984 I think.