Freestyle & Greco State tournament history?

Started by Greco, March 26, 2013, 09:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

I remember going to Holmen for state freestyle regionals
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

TomM

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 28, 2013, 08:11:50 AM

I may have reffed your matches! Seriously.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

From Fond Du Lac?'

I was always in the Milwaukee area, I recall Hartland.

DocWrestling

Quote from: howavi on March 28, 2013, 09:11:35 AM

From Fond Du Lac?'

I was always in the Milwaukee area, I recall Hartland.

We had relatives in Lacrosse and our family reunion was always in Lacrosse on that weekend. Only way we could do both.  Whole family would come to the regional to watch so it was great.  Got many excited that they then would come over to Rapids for state tourney to watch and occasionally picked up my uncle as we drove through Lacrosse to take him with to Northern Plains.  My brother and I were the first wrestlers ever in our family so it was new for everyone.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

In 1981 and 1982, the Freestyle State Tournaments were in June.  There were 6 qualifying regionals.  Top 4 qualified to state from each regional.  The State Meets were held at DC Everest in 1981 and at Holmen in 1982.

You had to qualify at one of the regionals to wrestle at state.  And you had to place in the Top 3 at State to be on the Wisconsin Team that went to Nationals in Iowa.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

DocWrestling

It is my opinion that the folkstyle state tournament is the best thing to happen to youth wrestling since my time but it has hurt the numbers for the freestyle state tournament.  The length of the folkstyle season really compresses freestyle and greco into the end of the year and not everyone competes

When there was no folkstyle state tourney, there were a lot of good wrestlers who never competed at state because their clubs did not have coaches or dads with freestyle experience and they just taught folkstyle to compete at the Saturday tournaments.  Some kids went to freestyle regionals and state without ever having spent more than an hour on freestyle.  Those clubs with freestyle coaches and actually spent some time on it excelled.  For many it was simply the advice that you could not do a roll as you cannot expose your back  ;D

Some matches went very quick when an experienced kid leg laced up an inexperienced kid and rolled him around the mat for 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2.. LOL or at least it seemed like that.  Was 15 points the end?

bigoil

WWF,

I'm almost positive that in '82 it was Rapids. True story on this one, a really good wrestler from Reedsburg and I were in the finals (round robin), he ID because he ran into the bleachers at rapids.

gablesgrip1

The bracket I have says "state freestyle".  the date says 4-4-81. the regional was at sparta-have bracket for that also

bigoil

Quote from: gablesgrip1 on March 28, 2013, 10:05:10 PM
The bracket I have says "state freestyle".  the date says 4-4-81. the regional was at sparta-have bracket for that also
Where was '81?

Doc, I think a "tech" was 10 points.

DocWrestling

Quote from: gablesgrip1 on March 28, 2013, 10:05:10 PM

LOL!  I can't decide if that is cool as heck or very strange that you still have those brackets!  ;D

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: howavi on March 28, 2013, 04:54:40 PM
WWF,

I'm almost positive that in '82 it was Rapids. True story on this one, a really good wrestler from Reedsburg and I were in the finals (round robin), he ID because he ran into the bleachers at rapids.

I will check with my brother who went with me.  It may have seemed like it was at Rapids because they had so many wrestlers in the tournament !!  I was in the finals at 154 in 1982.

I know there were AAU State Tournaments I went to in Wisconsin Dells in the spring.  The State Freestyle I am referring to was always in June back then for the July Nationals.

I still have some old brackets as well !! 

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

npope

I do believe the first "state" freestyle meet occured in 1972 (although it might have been actually a year or two before that). I particpated in the state freestyle meet in 1973 (held in Greenfield). There were regional qualifying meets held around the state for that meet. I am not sure exactly with governing body sponsored the event, AAU or the other competing organization at that time (I forget its name). Top place winners at that state meet went on to a national meet in Iowa held the next week.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

uncle Fester

In 1979 they were in wisconsin dells...got my first ticket for running a red light on the way out of town...still irritated about that..1978 went to schofield...1977 was in stoughton..1976 was a sausage and must not of qualified...
we didnt come here for a picnic

littleguy301

Quote from: uncle Fester on March 29, 2013, 12:50:00 PM
In 1979 they were in wisconsin dells...got my first ticket for running a red light on the way out of town...still irritated about that..1978 went to schofield...1977 was in stoughton..1976 was a sausage and must not of qualified...

couldnt convince the officer it was really an orange light?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

Wwf,

I was in 7th grade, I won 95# perhaps that is the difference?

I was at the dells those years too for the AAU tourney. I may be odd too but I think somewhere in the basement I have the bracket as well. Kinda cool to list some of the guys on there.

Kevin Kull
Greg Lewis
Tim Berndt