Reality Check

Started by wrestler_73, March 25, 2013, 04:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestler_73

When compared to real possibilities for AA next year.  How does that compare to other top ten teams?
-Graf for sure AA
-Thielke-probably
-Jordan-Probably
-Medberry and Hein-??

*What evidence do we have that any of our wrestlers make great gains from one year to next over the last 20 years?  Except Hammen.

The discussion at Nationals is embarrassing for the UW program....It's true

xx takedown xx

I wouldnt count out Liegel.

Also I would say Hein made a pretty big jump this year, nothing is stopping him from doing that again. 

dad 2 5

hammen

Jim Gibbons had nothing but good things to say about Barry and the direction of the program on national television (that's ESPNU for you old man 73).

billymurphy

I totally agree with Rutt.  Rutt did not defend his legs well his freshman year.  He improved significantly each year.  Those were Pritzlaff days though and Rutt may have been able to practice some with Howe.  Hein has improved. No doubt. Can he move to elite status and beat the Minnesota kid?  That is a very hard undertaking but Hein certainly should win more than one match at nationals next year.  Medbery is a blue chip recruit and quite honestly I figured he would do better at nationals.  The Big Ten is absolutely loaded at 174 with Iowa, Penn State, Nebraska and Minny so Liegel has nearly an impossible task of a high finish in the Big Ten.

wrestling for fun

Wisconsin did pretty good compared to other schools .... for instance..Michigan ... who had 7 qualifiers that scored a total of 9 points.

Harris

Reality Check (Top 10):

1.  Tyler Graff - 3rd Place NCAA, 3X All-American, best year ever, coming back
2.  Jackson Hein - NCAA qualifier, best year ever, coming back
3.  Connor Medbery - NCAA qualifier, Big Ten Freshman of the Year, coming back
4.  2013 NCAA Team Scores - Wisconsin finishes higher than Purdue, Michigan (Who has Donny Pritzlaff), Indiana, Michigan State AND 2013 Big Ten Conference Dual Standings Wisconsin finishes higher than Michigan (Who has Donny Pritzlaff), Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan State
5.  November 11, 2012 - Badgers open season with win over No. 25 Hofstra
6.  December 9, 2012 - Badgers upset No. 9 Nebraska in Lincoln
7.  January 13, 2013 - Badgers upset No. 11 Michigan to extend Big Ten win streak (Did I mention they have Donny P :)
8.  Redshirt Freshman and Unattached Results - Jesse Thielke (10-3, 6th Midlands), Isaac Jordan (23-2, 3rd Midlands), TJ Ruschell 15-2, Ryan Lubeck 25-6, Ryan Taylor (2012 top 50 recruit)
9.  Recruiting Class - Ricky Robertson (Illinois State Champ), Austin Moe (2X WI State Champ), Seth Liegel (WI State Champ), Andrew Crone (WI State Champ), Jake Stilling (WI State Champ), Justin Weber (IL 3rd State)
10.  Last year Big Ten dual record 0-8, NCAA record 41st, This year Big Ten dual record 4-4, NCAA record 27th

I would have to say that reality is looking pretty good from my point of view.  Great job Badger wrestlers and coaches!  Can't wait till next year.

zugzoo

Quote from: Harris on March 25, 2013, 09:26:58 PM

9.  Recruiting Class - Ricky Robertson (Illinois State Champ), Austin Moe (2X WI State Champ), Seth Liegel (WI State Champ), Andrew Crone (WI State Champ), Jake Stilling (WI State Champ), Justin Weber (IL 3rd State)

I think Stilling, Crone, and Liegel are all 2x WI State champs as well (since it seems you only added Moe as a 2x WI State champ).
Quote from: howaviYour reward for winning Sectionals: Weston Olund Merrill 11-2 12  vs Jesse Thielke Germantown 39-1 10

My2sense

While wearing my badger jacket over the weekend I was asked many times ,are you from Wisconsin . After I responded yes , their next question was so what's up with you guys and Barry?  They then said that they always thought Barry was a great coach but he doesn't seem to be getting it done. I feel that there is a national concern for our program not just in state.

npope

Quote from: My2sense on March 26, 2013, 09:04:22 AM
While wearing my badger jacket over the weekend I was asked many times ,are you from Wisconsin .

After seeing you in your vivid red Badger jacket, they then asked, "Are you from Wisconsin?"

Without passing judgement on the actual gist of the post, doesn't the fact that they had to ask that question at all cast some level of doubt upon their intelligence to begin with? Were you sitting in the Iowa section at the tournament?  ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Harris on March 25, 2013, 09:26:58 PM
Reality Check (Top 10):

1.  Tyler Graff - 3rd Place NCAA, 3X All-American, best year ever, coming back
2.  Jackson Hein - NCAA qualifier, best year ever, coming back
3.  Connor Medbery - NCAA qualifier, Big Ten Freshman of the Year, coming back
4.  2013 NCAA Team Scores - Wisconsin finishes higher than Purdue, Michigan (Who has Donny Pritzlaff), Indiana, Michigan State AND 2013 Big Ten Conference Dual Standings Wisconsin finishes higher than Michigan (Who has Donny Pritzlaff), Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Michigan State
5.  November 11, 2012 - Badgers open season with win over No. 25 Hofstra
6.  December 9, 2012 - Badgers upset No. 9 Nebraska in Lincoln
7.  January 13, 2013 - Badgers upset No. 11 Michigan to extend Big Ten win streak (Did I mention they have Donny P :)
8.  Redshirt Freshman and Unattached Results - Jesse Thielke (10-3, 6th Midlands), Isaac Jordan (23-2, 3rd Midlands), TJ Ruschell 15-2, Ryan Lubeck 25-6, Ryan Taylor (2012 top 50 recruit)
9.  Recruiting Class - Ricky Robertson (Illinois State Champ), Austin Moe (2X WI State Champ), Seth Liegel (WI State Champ), Andrew Crone (WI State Champ), Jake Stilling (WI State Champ), Justin Weber (IL 3rd State)
10.  Last year Big Ten dual record 0-8, NCAA record 41st, This year Big Ten dual record 4-4, NCAA record 27th

I would have to say that reality is looking pretty good from my point of view.  Great job Badger wrestlers and coaches!  Can't wait till next year.

Just to be clear, we beat Michigan in the dual and at the NCAA's, without using any of our freshman on varsity ? :-)
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Troy Grindle

To look at both sides of the coin here, the state of Wisconsin has recently had some of the deepest and best years ever in the history of high school wrestling in this state.  With multiple individual national champions and team dual champions in greco.  The last 4-5 years Wisconsin has had some incredible high school talent coming out of this state and the badgers have landed only a handful of those kids.  This is were most of the unhappiness lies within the wrestling community.  The reasons why uw hasn't landed a lot of the kids are not totally the fault of uw but it is still a major concern by the fans.  Barry can't control the kids grades in high school, trouble with the law, not taking the appropriate classes to get into college, etc..  But when you see top flight kids leaving Wisconsin year after year it is a major frustration.  The uw team would look pretty good right now if we had Pollizzi, Suffloen, AD, Peterson, Dunlap, Gruetner, Donar, Hucke, Monk, Nazar all on the roster.  These are all wrestlers off of the top of my head that aren't wrestling at UW that probably at one time in their life it was their dream to wrestle at UW (except probably Nazar) who are all either wrestling at the D1 level (except Nazar and Dunlap who both could be) or playing another sport at the D1 level.  These are just a couple of kids who I could quickly think up within the last 3 years that didn't go to UW.  This list is a lot of in state kids to lose.  Some of them were lost for reasons uncontrollable by uw but not all of them.  The junior dual team doesn't go to nationals and go 4-5 and finish middle of the pack.  The state team doesn't go to Fargo and take 27th so why should we as fans except that this should be okay for the badgers?  It is not okay, and as fans of the team we expect more when we see our high school kids achieve so much in avenues outside of the uw program.  I love the badgers and will always support them but with how successful the high school level has been the past 4-5 years and that it hasn't transitioned over at the college level makes me nervous to think how bad it could be if our high school level wasn't a top 10 in the nation year after year. 
And then there was that.

jaguarwrestler

as far as the very first post is concerned, I don't see Jordan being AA in his first year, he had some good wins this year but I'm not sure he is AA level at this point or a year from now. I think Medberry has a very good chance.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Barou

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 26, 2013, 01:35:44 PM
as far as the very first post is concerned, I don't see Jordan being AA in his first year, he had some good wins this year but I'm not sure he is AA level at this point or a year from now. I think Medberry has a very good chance.

I thought someone posted that Jordan beat Pena from Oregon State who majored his kid in the 5th place match at nationals.  If that's true, predicting Jordan as a possible AA is not a reach.
JHI Mafia

Houndhead

Quote from: Troy Grindle on March 26, 2013, 01:29:29 PM
To look at both sides of the coin here, the state of Wisconsin has recently had some of the deepest and best years ever in the history of high school wrestling in this state.  With multiple individual national champions and team dual champions in greco.  The last 4-5 years Wisconsin has had some incredible high school talent coming out of this state and the badgers have landed only a handful of those kids.  This is were most of the unhappiness lies within the wrestling community.  The reasons why uw hasn't landed a lot of the kids are not totally the fault of uw but it is still a major concern by the fans.  Barry can't control the kids grades in high school, trouble with the law, not taking the appropriate classes to get into college, etc..  But when you see top flight kids leaving Wisconsin year after year it is a major frustration.  The uw team would look pretty good right now if we had Pollizzi, Suffloen, AD, Peterson, Dunlap, Gruetner, Donar, Hucke, Monk, Nazar all on the roster.  These are all wrestlers off of the top of my head that aren't wrestling at UW that probably at one time in their life it was their dream to wrestle at UW (except probably Nazar) who are all either wrestling at the D1 level (except Nazar and Dunlap who both could be) or playing another sport at the D1 level.  These are just a couple of kids who I could quickly think up within the last 3 years that didn't go to UW.  This list is a lot of in state kids to lose.  Some of them were lost for reasons uncontrollable by uw but not all of them.  The junior dual team doesn't go to nationals and go 4-5 and finish middle of the pack.  The state team doesn't go to Fargo and take 27th so why should we as fans except that this should be okay for the badgers?  It is not okay, and as fans of the team we expect more when we see our high school kids achieve so much in avenues outside of the uw program.  I love the badgers and will always support them but with how successful the high school level has been the past 4-5 years and that it hasn't transitioned over at the college level makes me nervous to think how bad it could be if our high school level wasn't a top 10 in the nation year after year. 

Brad Dolezal.