Started by TomM, March 31, 2013, 10:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Houndhead

I think this is one of those stories that sounds good to those on a national level that don't follow the Packers closely. In reality, the Charles Woodson of 2012 was no where near the Charles Woodson of 2010. His production and coverage abilities have eroded alot. Woodson had a great Packer career, but not signing him was the right move for this team.

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Scourge

Quote from: Houndhead on April 01, 2013, 06:34:35 AM
I think this is one of those stories that sounds good to those on a national level that don't follow the Packers closely. In reality, the Charles Woodson of 2012 was no where near the Charles Woodson of 2010. His production and coverage abilities have eroded alot. Woodson had a great Packer career, but not signing him was the right move for this team.

At almost 10 million dollars?  I totally agree.  I still think he can have a very positive impact at safety by playing centerfield, reading the QB and using his instincts, but he absolutely can't cover on the outside anymore and I don't think he was very good even in 2010 of that and he really struggled to even cover the slot WR without holding penalties or PI's. 

And he made it pretty clear from the start that he wasn't going to be taking a big pay cut.  So when you consider that a guy like Goldson who is 26/27 got 8 million a year from Tampa Bay when they're about 40 million under the cap(well, when FA started) he'd have been grossly overpaid at 9.8 or whatever it was exactly. 

Jennings will definitely be the biggest loss, but I think NOT signing a couple possible FA's will prove more costly.  Cullen Jenkins for example, someone like Alan Branch...someone else on their DL.

boowrestle

The way its looking with the lack of interest from other teams,that maybe he will be back in GB?
you can run but you cannot hide.

Scourge

Quote from: boowrestle on April 05, 2013, 05:13:22 PM
The way its looking with the lack of interest from other teams,that maybe he will be back in GB?

I think he's headed towards retirement.  They were talking SF, Baltimore(just signed Huff), NE....none have much cap room, and I think he's going to want at least 4-6 million a year when in this market, he's really a 2-3 million dollar player. 

And if I'm him, with all the money he's made, I think that he may be inclined to just hang it up rather than take the beating at age 37.  I think he's already a guy who's going to go into the HOF in one of his first few years on the HOF ballot...but I guess we'll see.

Ghetto

I hope you are wrong about retirement. I think he's got a year in him. Coach on the field would be super valuable for the young guys back there. Less run support and more CF would be less toll on the body.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Scourge

Quote from: Ghetto on April 05, 2013, 05:48:13 PM
I hope you are wrong about retirement. I think he's got a year in him. Coach on the field would be super valuable for the young guys back there. Less run support and more CF would be less toll on the body.

I honestly think he's got 3 years left playing THAT type of game and then picking his spots when he plays in the box.  If he plays the safety position he played last year, he's got one, MAYBE two years left. 

I guess I underestimated just what great shape Rod Woodson kept himself in toward the end of his career as he still seemed very explosive, though not the dynamic player. 

Still, for all the guesses(John Jenkins/Alec Ogeltree trade up) I make and the 95 pct I'm wrong about, I'm glad I was right about the Packers signing Woodson when he was winding down in Oakland.  Of course Tampa was only offering him about what he's getting offered now and the Packers threw 50 million at him and it still almost didn't work, but hey, a win is a win!

Todd

Quote from: Scourge on April 05, 2013, 05:20:04 PM

I think he's headed towards retirement.  They were talking SF, Baltimore(just signed Huff), NE....none have much cap room, and I think he's going to want at least 4-6 million a year when in this market, he's really a 2-3 million dollar player. 

And if I'm him, with all the money he's made, I think that he may be inclined to just hang it up rather than take the beating at age 37.  I think he's already a guy who's going to go into the HOF in one of his first few years on the HOF ballot...but I guess we'll see.

I too think the 2012 CW was vastly different than 2010.  He relied a lot in 2011 and 2012 on some of his savy veteran play (fouls).  With the amount of teams NOT biting on his services for what he's asking I think he may retire too but I do think even despite his loss in physical ability he would add experience, skill and leadership which this defense could use.  I hope he re-signs with The Pack for another year. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

Scourge

Quote from: Todd on April 05, 2013, 11:46:42 PM
Quote from: Scourge on April 05, 2013, 05:20:04 PM

I too think the 2012 CW was vastly different than 2010.  He relied a lot in 2011 and 2012 on some of his savy veteran play (fouls).  With the amount of teams NOT biting on his services for what he's asking I think he may retire too but I do think even despite his loss in physical ability he would add experience, skill and leadership which this defense could use.  I hope he re-signs with The Pack for another year. 

Well of course, if the 2010 Woodson was the same as the 2012 Woodson, he'd have been brought back and been a huge help in solving the read option.  But yes, he's obviously declined physically the last two years.  Which is why I really believed he'd make it work as a safety with his instincts, with his experience and everything else.  But not at 10 million per year when Woodson and Matthews alone will get 38-ish million per year, you can't overpay for Woodson as much as we'd like him back.