Dake vs Taylor

Started by anoka114, March 23, 2013, 10:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Steve

I will be surprised if Howe ever wrestles in a college singlet again. With those injuries and the 2020 olympic situation I just can't see him taking part in a college season.
I think Dake and Burrows have kept improving during Howe's layoff.....not so sure he would ever beat either one of those guys again.
I am not a Howe hater, I enjoyed having him in Madison.

Todd

Quote from: bigG on March 24, 2013, 06:49:33 PM
Quote from: Rush66 on March 24, 2013, 05:22:52 PM
Quote from: uwgrappler on March 23, 2013, 10:35:10 PM
Leave it to NCAA wrestling though to not get the entire match in by the allotted time for the broadcast.  Anyone taping it, only got to see 1 1/2 periods of wrestling.  We wonder why they eliminate wrestling from the Olympics.  We can't even find a way to get the best match in over a dozen years in during the allotted time of the broadcast.  Nice job NCAA wrestling!

I recorded it and got the whole match.  What service do you have.  I use direct tv.

I hate and have Direct; but I did notice the nice feature that you can go 30 minutes beyond the recoding time. Used it for the first time yesterday.

I thought it was an excellent match. The whole 5th through finals I felt were just great. I'm EZ to PLEEZ, doh.

Go to ESPN3, they have the replay there.
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

Quote from: howavi on March 23, 2013, 10:17:11 PM
13 seconds of mat wrestling won, imagine that. He dominated, not by stalling and I have Taylor in the pool I'm in.

I think the stalling calls he got were appropriate and he did what he needed to do to win.  I also think that Dake should have gotten that reversal and that may have changed the match because at that point it would just have been 2 R instead of 1 then 2td.  Even if Taylor doesn't get out there was the riding point awarded.  If everything goes the same then the stalling call would have knotted up the match even with the riding time.  I know they're all hypotheticals but imagine if the challenge would have went the other way (That Cornell was trying to get) it would have been ironic that that changed call could have COST Dake the match. 

I thought it was a great match.  Not as good as the 2nd meeting this year but great anyway.

Todd

Quote from: anoka114 on March 24, 2013, 12:06:45 AM
Woody you guys can keep believing this style of wrestling is good for the sport. I've noticed less people at matches and less kids wrestling. But I'm not in the circle here so my opinion probably doesn't matter. But thats okay I'll keep watching until it doesn't exist anymore. I'll also drop off the forum because it's not an open forum for open opinions. There's a saying that goes something like "If you always do what you always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten". Wrestling is at that crossroads.

Really, because you got to voice your opinion, Woody and others voiced theirs.  I would call that a forum for open opinions.  Just because someone challenged your opinion or you may be outnumbered doesn't mean you didn't get to express it.

Todd

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 24, 2013, 07:49:26 AM
If the NCAA wrestling tourney is not this weekend it is not going to be on ESPN for the finals and not going to be on the overflow channels for earlier rounds.  ESPN knows everyone is watching basketball so they find programming for people less interested in basketball.

Wrestling is simply lucky that over the years it has proven to get more viewers than women's basketball because that is whay wrestling bumped out.

A far as the time issue three things,
1) I agree with the DVR being able to record longer so most did that
2) The NCAA was likley not expecting so many coaches challenges which delayed the time
3) It was probably a good thing for wrestling to have it run over into sportscenter as a lot of fans turned it to sportscenter at 10pm to see basketball highlights and they got the end of a great wrestling match and a great interview.  More viewers likely actually saw the match because it went over.

I did think that it was amzing to see Tom Ryan and Tom Brands sitting next to each other in  the stands while there two wrestlers went at it

All great points.  I'd add that for sporting events or events that have the potential to go over Directv is defaulted to go over 30min and you can change it.  When programming online or smart phone this was not the case but this past year they made that feature available as if you're setting up your receiver at home.  Love technology.

Todd

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 24, 2013, 09:11:39 AM
Taylor didn't look very sharp in the 3rd, he didn't seem gassed but he didn't seem to have anything left.... he didn't seem to be wrestling like a guy 2 points down in the 3rd in the biggest match of his life. They did let Dake get away with the same boring ride for a long time but I believe Taylor failed to make a better effort to get out. I wanted Taylor to win, he wrestled great in the 1st and by the middle of the second he seemed to fade away.

After that first takedown, I thought Taylor was going to stop Dake from getting his fourth.  He looked so confident and pumped but Dake didn't get rattled.  I was rooting for Taylor too just because I like his style better but in know way do I think Dake is boring or didn't deserve to win with the way he wrestled. 

Great match.

Todd

Quote from: bigG on March 24, 2013, 06:49:33 PM
Quote from: Rush66 on March 24, 2013, 05:22:52 PM
Quote from: uwgrappler on March 23, 2013, 10:35:10 PM
Leave it to NCAA wrestling though to not get the entire match in by the allotted time for the broadcast.  Anyone taping it, only got to see 1 1/2 periods of wrestling.  We wonder why they eliminate wrestling from the Olympics.  We can't even find a way to get the best match in over a dozen years in during the allotted time of the broadcast.  Nice job NCAA wrestling!

I recorded it and got the whole match.  What service do you have.  I use direct tv.

I hate and have Direct; but I did notice the nice feature that you can go 30 minutes beyond the recoding time. Used it for the first time yesterday.

I thought it was an excellent match. The whole 5th through finals I felt were just great. I'm EZ to PLEEZ, doh.

I love Directv (not the price) and my HD DVR receiver automatically asks on sporting events if you want to exted it to the 30 min or more.  Not sure what receiver you have.

badgers

Quote from: dman on March 24, 2013, 09:39:57 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on March 24, 2013, 08:37:41 PM
Howe won in freestyle, NO way he beats Dake in folk style.

Ummm....what??  Coocoo....coocoo!  I love how people disregard certain wrestlers when they haven't seen them wrestle in awhile.  People always think the guy they like improves and no one else does.  Howe does not lose to Dake.....period.  Good match, but Howe beats him no matter what style it is.....he is a world class athlete.....Dake is on top of the NCAA wrestling world right now and I love the way he wrestles but he is no Andrew Howe.
Dman when's the last time you seen Howe wrestle then since you know for a fact he is better then Dake! To say that Dake is not a world class athlete is just foolish to say!

the mayor

I must be the only fool on here, who is completely lost nowdays, when it comes to riding time.  It is so important, that we actually award points over riding time.  We say that if you can control your opponent for more than a minute we will award you an additional point at the end of the match.  Every good wrestler now includes the importance of riding time in his strategy for a big match.  So then we ask our officials to promote action by making good riders come out of position to promote the pin.  I wish one of you could tell me where one rule leaves off, and the other rule begins.  It's time for riding time to go, because RT and stalling have become so judgemental that many officials share my mindset on these two rule applications, they don't know where beautiful riding technique stops and stalling begins.  Our discussion of this great match really points out this problem.
The Mayor
If you can catch the chicken Rock, you can catch Creed.

zugzoo

Quote from: the mayor on March 25, 2013, 11:11:17 AM
I must be the only fool on here, who is completely lost nowdays, when it comes to riding time.  It is so important, that we actually award points over riding time.  We say that if you can control your opponent for more than a minute we will award you an additional point at the end of the match.  Every good wrestler now includes the importance of riding time in his strategy for a big match.  So then we ask our officials to promote action by making good riders come out of position to promote the pin.  I wish one of you could tell me where one rule leaves off, and the other rule begins.  It's time for riding time to go, because RT and stalling have become so judgemental that many officials share my mindset on these two rule applications, they don't know where beautiful riding technique stops and stalling begins.  Our discussion of this great match really points out this problem.

I think RT should be enforced in high school. Honestly, how is RT judgmental? Literally you have one person press a button when Wrestler A is wrestling and press the other button when Wrestler B is riding, if Wrestler A has more than 1:00 minute of riding time.. it's 1 point.

If anything I think we should get rid of stalling. Somebody has you in a hold that you can't get out of...? Sounds like a pin...
Quote from: howaviYour reward for winning Sectionals: Weston Olund Merrill 11-2 12  vs Jesse Thielke Germantown 39-1 10

zugzoo

I'm not saying that dropping down to an ankle and holding a guy is the same as having somebody flat on their back for 2 seconds, but what I am saying is that a person who is getting NF but is not going for the pin isn't much different than a guy dropping to a leg stacking up riding time. It just comes down to 'can you get out?' and doing what it takes to get out. I think wrestlers would have to be more creative on moving from bottom if this was factored into their match.
Quote from: howaviYour reward for winning Sectionals: Weston Olund Merrill 11-2 12  vs Jesse Thielke Germantown 39-1 10

Kyle

Quote from: zugzoo on March 25, 2013, 12:55:34 PM
I'm not saying that dropping down to an ankle and holding a guy is the same as having somebody flat on their back for 2 seconds,

Maybe you did not mean that, but that is what you said and that is what you would get if you got rid of stalling.
Kyle

Todd

Quote from: zugzoo on March 25, 2013, 12:53:04 PM
Quote from: the mayor on March 25, 2013, 11:11:17 AM

I think RT should be enforced in high school. Honestly, how is RT judgmental? Literally you have one person press a button when Wrestler A is wrestling and press the other button when Wrestler B is riding, if Wrestler A has more than 1:00 minute of riding time.. it's 1 point.

If anything I think we should get rid of stalling. Somebody has you in a hold that you can't get out of...? Sounds like a pin...

Agree 100%!

AgedInOak

This really should be a completely different post, but the best way to get rid of the issue of riding time vs. stalling is to get rid of folkstyle and let them wrestle freestyle in college (high school too for that matter), but I digress ;D  I thought Dake should have got hit for stalling earlier and more often.  The drama of what could be achieved by either wrestle with a win was compelling, the match itself was not a great match :(.  Now let us hear some commentary about how I must not know anything about wrestling.
"the world needs ditch diggers too!"

whatever

I can't see how some people think freestyle is so much more exciting than folkstyle.  Have you watched the Olympics lately?  If freestyle was so exciting, it wouldn't be in the predicament it currently is in....  If you want to compare, you need to compare the same levels.  Compare the WI WIAA state tournament to the WWF freestyle state and tell me that folkstyle is lacking excitement.  Then compare the US national team trials with the NCAA championships. While I would agree that there are some boring NCAA finals (Perry v. Brown but this year's finals were pretty exciting overall) I would also argue that there are just as many ho-hum matches in freestyle where no one scores and they go to that stupid ball grab to finally decide a winner.......

Please explain to me how that made any improvements to freestyle wrestling or made wrestling any more exciting
"....the older I get, the better I was....."