Further discussion on whether their should be a uniform option vs. Singlet

Started by DocWrestling, March 23, 2013, 05:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraslfan

If fight shorts and UA type shorts gets more kids out for wrestling, it's a good thing. In no way would a new "uniform" stop any current wrestling fans from watching the sport, nor cause any current wrestler to stop wrestling. The only thing a change would do is help the sport. How / why is that bad?
Even parents (who have never wrestled) have the same view as MOST teens on the singlet. Do you think their comments on the singlet might have a role in forming an opinion with their kids?

Roo

Quote from: boowrestle on March 28, 2013, 05:06:24 PM
14/14 of our varsity wrestlers all say nothing wrong with singlets and wouldnt wear shorts/shirts,out of the 14 id say maybe 3/4 are so called elite wrestlers.Our wrestling club funds pretty much the high/middle school programs(singlets/warmups)most are not going to want to supply more options.Id be willing to bet that kaukauna's#s are up more because of great youth feeder program then cause of uniform option.jmo.

And as a counter, because of the earlier discussion on this topic I polled our MS team, approx 35 kids. Every single one said they would prefer shorts/shirt because those would be "cool". None of them said they would quit because of a singlet, but given a choice it isn't even close.

I truly don't understand the opposition to allowing an option on this....since it is an "option".

hammen

Quote from: Roo on March 29, 2013, 07:36:10 AM
Quote from: boowrestle on March 28, 2013, 05:06:24 PM
14/14 of our varsity wrestlers all say nothing wrong with singlets and wouldnt wear shorts/shirts,out of the 14 id say maybe 3/4 are so called elite wrestlers.Our wrestling club funds pretty much the high/middle school programs(singlets/warmups)most are not going to want to supply more options.Id be willing to bet that kaukauna's#s are up more because of great youth feeder program then cause of uniform option.jmo.

And as a counter, because of the earlier discussion on this topic I polled our MS team, approx 35 kids. Every single one said they would prefer shorts/shirt because those would be "cool". None of them said they would quit because of a singlet, but given a choice it isn't even close.

I truly don't understand the opposition to allowing an option on this....since it is an "option".

The opposition is debating that an option of this new uniform would not create a material impact in participation. That is the reason why this topic was started. It would definitely be cool to have that clothing, and a few high school teams already have these shirts/mma shorts (most college teams do and have for about 5 years). It's just a matter of making it an option to wear the uniform for competition. Would it get a few more kids out for the sport who are uncomfortable with the singlet? Yes. Would that make a noticeable impact in participation #'s? I don't think so. These kids who come out because of the new uniform - who says they all stick it out? As we all know, wrestling is a tough sport and not for everyone. Someone who is afraid of being made fun of for wearing a singlet will on the mat with an opponent may not be able to tough it out.

Another thing I thought of (I probably brought this up in that earlier thread) - what happens when these mma shorts get in the way of falls? You can't say that this would never happen. I imagine it would happen many times throughout a single tournament. Armbars and halfs where the top guy's thighs are at the head of his opponent while going for the fall - is the ref going to have to lift the top guy's shorts every time to see a fall? No thank you - I'd rather wear a singlet and get my fall rather than having my cool mma shorts get in the way of earning bonus points for my team.

Street Glide

My understanding is this topic is about having a option for a uniform when wrestling.  Makes me curious about the different age level of which kids would choose shorts over a singlet.  My guess is middle school and younger may choose shorts over a singlets just due to the natural fact kids at that age are more self conscious about their bodies.  Then I wonder as kids move into high school does their view change between singlets and shorts, my opinion yes.   A singlet is preferred.  Maybe an option could be used for younger kids.  Get them introduced to the sport, comfortable with their bodies, then if they stick it out and move towards high school level a singlet would be the only option.  Shorts do get in the way at times way more so than a singlet.  It's hard enough for the referees now. 

DocWrestling

Quote from: hammen on March 29, 2013, 08:37:25 AM
Would it get a few more kids out for the sport who are uncomfortable with the singlet? Yes. Would that make a noticeable impact in participation #'s? I don't think so. These kids who come out because of the new uniform - who says they all stick it out? As we all know, wrestling is a tough sport and not for everyone. Someone who is afraid of being made fun of for wearing a singlet will on the mat with an opponent may not be able to tough it out.

This just does not make sense to me.  You are considering that it will get a few more kids out for the sport but it would NOT increase participation #'s?  And your reasoning is that we should right them off because they are not tough enough?

Many kids are tough and wear the singlet despite the snide comments made by others.  Do they just have to accept that those comments are normal towards wrestlers to show how tough they are?

This discussion was started as ONE of many possible solutions to improving numbers.  I suggest that more wrestlers might try wrestling in middle school or high school with an alternate option.  I have no idea if they will "stick with it" but having more try it is a positive.  I also suggest that an alternate uniform option may even change the opinions of some parents that will not allow their child try wrestling.

To me that has the possibility of increasing participation numbers.  Even the slightest increase would be worth it as a I see very few disadvantages to wearing a 2-piece uniform.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Oldtimer

When I started years ago in MS we didn't have singlets.  Just wore shorts and tshirts.  Seeing the high school kids with singlets made me want to keep going and "get" to wear one of them.
Beware of the northern sleeper

ramjet

Ok Doc get it implemented in your school for youth and Jr High let us know how many more kids come out and stay out.

DocWrestling

Quote from: ramjet on March 29, 2013, 09:47:26 AM
Ok Doc get it implemented in your school for youth and Jr High let us know how many more kids come out and stay out.

Working on it and hoping we get the same results and reaction Kaukauna got with theirs.

whatever

Even if Doc comes on here and says 5 kids came out for wrestling JUST because of the singlet, people on here will still dismiss it.

Heck, Kluever came on here and said exactly what I just stated above and other people still dismiss it as "...well, KK is already successful, KK has more money, etc., etc., etc.  They are ignoring the KK coach who specifically said this improved their numbers a little and turning it around to fit their own opinion.

It amazes me how when people have a pre-concieved opinion about something, they mold new information to fit their views and if it doesn't mesh with their views, then it's just dismissed entirely.

To me the biggest argument I see against uniform change boils down to one simple argument :

"WELL, I DON'T THINK SO......."

Wow.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

whatever

I'm not overreacting to anything.

I'm stating exactly what has taken place on this very thread.

"....the older I get, the better I was....."

DocWrestling

It seems to me that some are leaders and some are followers.  Some look to the future and some cling to the tradition of the past.  Some are just afraid of change.

In a sense I have been a follower on this issue since I have thought it would be a good idea ever since it was approved and saw the kids reactions to the WWF option.

I am a follower because I look to other successful programs and rather than just say they have it easy and that is why they are successful, I want to copy what they are doing.  Kaukauna has taken a lead hear and I commend them for being the first as far as I know.  I will try to get our club and district to follow.  I am one opinion and just like there are diverse opinions on this forum, there are diverse opinions in my own community and that is a great thing.

But we cannot be afraid of change or trying something new.  Who cares if I am wrong?  What did we lose out on for trying something new?  Some money wasted on uniforms?  There would be nothing wrong with kids deciding they did not like them and returning back to the singlets.  What do you learn if you don't try new things?

Mat Warrior

I don't think injuries are as much of a problem as the shorts getting in the way of moves. I know in HS and college my hand would get caught up in them trying to do cradles, over unders, etc..  I don't know how loose board shorts are compared to the mesh shorts we wore though.

I can just see it now if youth numbers do increase a little bit because of a new uniform, everyone will be complaining about the lack of numbers in sticking it out in HS from youth because you had more kids "try" it in youth.

padre

Quote from: whatever on March 29, 2013, 11:35:21 AM
I'm not overreacting to anything.

I'm stating exactly what has taken place on this very thread.

The reason I ask about cost is I wonder how long shorts last and shirt.  Is it one year for either?  If so the discussion of cost has to come up.  If they last 5 years that would be a different story.  Having wrestlers pay for their unis would far out-weigh those that come out because they look "cool".