NCAA Coverage is aweful

Started by Todd, March 23, 2013, 02:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

With all the technology out there I thought the coverage was still terrible.  The early rounds were probably the best because you had several mats to choose from but as soon as they broadcast anything on tv the online coverage was blocked and you couldn't choose what matches to watch. 

And I've never seen a 3rd seed like Graff get less TV time.  His wrestle back to 3rd wasn't even shown and at the time a 4/7 seed match was being shown.  I think ESPN really didn't want to show his 3rd place match but were pretty much obligated at that point. 

So much technology and ability to bring the wrestling and they still screw it up.
"This page intentionally left blank".

Scourge

Quote from: Todd on March 23, 2013, 02:26:26 PM
With all the technology out there I thought the coverage was still terrible.  The early rounds were probably the best because you had several mats to choose from but as soon as they broadcast anything on tv the online coverage was blocked and you couldn't choose what matches to watch. 

And I've never seen a 3rd seed like Graff get less TV time.  His wrestle back to 3rd wasn't even shown and at the time a 4/7 seed match was being shown.  I think ESPN really didn't want to show his 3rd place match but were pretty much obligated at that point. 

So much technology and ability to bring the wrestling and they still screw it up.

You had every round of TV on ESPN Todd.  Every round of WRESTLING on TV and you're not happy because they couldn't show every single match?

I'd say it's a pretty nice step in the right direction for Wrestling.

Todd

Quote from: Scourge on March 23, 2013, 03:08:50 PM

You had every round of TV on ESPN Todd.  Every round of WRESTLING on TV and you're not happy because they couldn't show every single match?

I'd say it's a pretty nice step in the right direction for Wrestling.

I guess I didn't make myself clear no I wasn't happy.  the metal round was disorganizedand like I said why blackout coverage online?  and yes I was better about not seeing graff

Chedd

Wrestling is making progress. Having the matches blacked out doesn't quite make a ton of sense but they probably forced us all to watch the live broadcast, regardless of who was wrestling.

I would like NCAA wrestling to move the tourney back a week. Competing with the first round or the NCAA basketball tournament isn't ideal. I know I was flipping back and forth a ton and I'm sure non-wrestling crazy sports fans would be a lot more likely to watch the first two days of the tourney if it wasn't on the two most jampacked weekdays of the year for sports.

buc65

Graff's Semi-Final wrestle back wasn't shown in favor of the 5/6 semifinal wrestleback at 125 which was a very exciting 13-9 match that came down to the end for Garrett vs Garnett.  That was definitely the correct choice to air on tv instead of watching Graff beat Dardanes for the 3rd time in two-weeks.  This morning on ESPNU there were 50 matches and probably only 20 were shown in their entirety.  Why would you think that ESPN wouldn't want to show his 3rd place match?

buc65

Quote from: Chedd on March 23, 2013, 10:19:35 PM
Wrestling is making progress. Having the matches blacked out doesn't quite make a ton of sense but they probably forced us all to watch the live broadcast, regardless of who was wrestling.

I would like NCAA wrestling to move the tourney back a week. Competing with the first round or the NCAA basketball tournament isn't ideal. I know I was flipping back and forth a ton and I'm sure non-wrestling crazy sports fans would be a lot more likely to watch the first two days of the tourney if it wasn't on the two most jampacked weekdays of the year for sports.

I agree that it would be nice if the NCAA wrestling tourney wasn't competing at the same time as the first round of the NCAA basketball tourney.  However, I doubt that "non-wrestling crazy sports fans would be a lot more likely to watch the first two days of the tourney".

Chedd

Quote from: buc65 on March 24, 2013, 01:37:29 AM
I agree that it would be nice if the NCAA wrestling tourney wasn't competing at the same time as the first round of the NCAA basketball tourney.  However, I doubt that "non-wrestling crazy sports fans would be a lot more likely to watch the first two days of the tourney".

Thinking about it a little bit more, the NCAA tourney would have to be pushed back two weeks to not interfere with the prime time Thursday & Friday basketball. Even if that was the case, the Saturday night finals would still interfere with the Saturday night Final Four games. There is no easy solution. Moving the tourney up would not help at all because wrestling still could not compete with conference tourney or regular season basketball.

I disagree to an extent about people tuning in to watch NCAA wrestling if it wasn't competing with basketball. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but I have many family members and friends that are sports hungry enough that they watch espn all day. Re-runs of sportscenter/espn news would be replaced with the wrestling tourney, if they didn't have anything else to watch. Right now, of course they are going to watch the NCAA basketball tourney. It's like the Super Bowl, where even non-sports fans are interested. It's tough competing with this tourney. I know I skip matches when certain games are on. I almost missed the end of the Dake/Taylor match because I was watching the end of a bball game and didn't anticipate the match going over my DVR.

Ghetto

I flipped back and forth between the two. A non fan doesn't even turn it on during the tournament.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Todd

Quote from: Ghetto on March 24, 2013, 11:19:46 AM
I flipped back and forth between the two. A non fan doesn't even turn it on during the tournament.

I spent 3-4 of the days watching the games at a bar with lots of tvs.  They were nice enough to put the Wrestling coverage on one tv for me. What wasn't shown I had my phone running online.