OT Criteria

Started by jaguarwrestler, March 23, 2013, 08:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaguarwrestler

anyone else think we need to change OT criteria? How many matches last night decidied in OT on riding time? I would chalk up Dieringers match to the same because he had to chance strategy because of a few seconds of riding time.

I rather see them wrestle until a period ends with difference in score

Or see a match end with a sudden death style ride or get out scenario

To have a 3-3 match come down to 3 seconds of riding time is garbage imo
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Ghetto

We keep shooting ourselves in the foot with rules that would only make sense to the wrestling community. We never learn.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Chedd

Agree. AD's match was tough to watch at the end. I really dislike what the up and down period has become. It has turned into a test of who is better at dropping to an ankle and hanging on. Overtime wrestling is tough, especially at this high of a level. Guys don't want to take chances and would prefer to wait to take it to the mat.

bigoil

I'm assuming AD knew the rules when he was down and when he was up. He didn't change strategy the opponent changed it for him. It was in his control, the rules aren't broken in that case.

Chedd

Quote from: howavi on March 23, 2013, 09:25:30 AM
I'm assuming AD knew the rules when he was down and when he was up. He didn't change strategy the opponent changed it for him. It was in his control, the rules aren't broken in that case.

I don't think anybody is claiming otherwise. Stating you don't like the rule doesn't mean the rule is broken. Like I said, OT wrestling i very difficult and I'm not sure there is a good way to decide matches once they start going far into OT.

jaguarwrestler

it is not a matter of not knowing the rules

do you really want to see 3 or 4 matches in the national semi finals decided by one wrestler have 3 or 4 seconds of riding time over the other wrestler?

point being this is a stupid way to decide a match at this level in a competition this close. One person being able to ride the other for a second longer should not make then the winner.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

DocWrestling

I still think overtime should be an untimed period and first takedown wins it.  Let them wrestle forever.  No stalemates.  Let the guys work there way out of every situation and scramble

Options to discuss
1) Refs swallow their whistles and their is no stalling in overtime to let the wrestlers decide
2) Stalling warnings start over in overtime.  Each wrestler gets a warning and then a point is awarded
3) Leave stalling the same but it takes two points to win in overtime so one 1-point stalling call does not end the match.

This would be exciting for wrestling and non-wrestling fans
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 23, 2013, 10:39:32 AM

it is not a matter of not knowing the rules

do you really want to see 3 or 4 matches in the national semi finals decided by one wrestler have 3 or 4 seconds of riding time over the other wrestler?

point being this is a stupid way to decide a match at this level in a competition this close. One person being able to ride the other for a second longer should not make then the winner.

Stupid because you think it is doesn't make it so. Both wrestlers are afforded a minimum of two opportunities to ride/escape from their opponent.

Doc, perhaps they could just do a spring TD tourney.

It's not perfect, never will be.

DocWrestling

How about at least making the two .30 second periods a minute long?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!