My kid did this at youth state.

Started by MOEGYMAN, March 20, 2013, 06:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOEGYMAN

I am starting this thread to hear everyones best story of what has happened to them at kids state.
Here is our story,my sons first year down he was in first grade 7 years old.
He won his first two matches,I was stoked he is doing awesome I was thinking!
Then a little before his third match he wakes up from a little nap and says "dad you will be proud of me no matter how I end up doing right?"
It felt like a loaded question but I said what any good supporting father would tell a seven year old who at the time still thought the easter bunny was coming in a couple of weeks,yea of course I will be proud of you.
His response for real no joke!!   "ok I am ready to go home now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 
WOW REALLY NO WAY I said.
YEP he said. (please remember this is a first grader)
After a short time and a snowcone he was ready to go again.
That is our story please share yours.

fryguy518

I told my boy that we would stop wherever he wanted on the way home if he placed. He got 1st and wanted to go to Hooters. Now its tradition, Hopefully were going to Hooters again. By the way, it was nice to see lots of other wrestling parents when we walked in. Good luck to all this weekend.

Vipor

Fryguy, you have my vote for a father of the year plaque !!  I don't care what anyone says....that their was funny!!

ICEMAN

My son's first try at making it to State(8yrs ago) ended in disaster at regionals-6th place.  The next 2 yrs his goal was to win a match at State. He made it and went 1-2 the next 2 years. He then began to get serious and put in the extra work telling me he would do better next yr. He then took 4th and then 3rd the next two yrs . He felt pretty good getting one of those WWF trophies but yet it wasn't enough to him. He put in even more work and told me his goal was 1st or 2nd next yr.. After winning State now the last 2 years I look back on how he started out. I never imagined how much youth State would define my sons progress. He made goals every yr to do better than the yr before. Some say Youth State doesn't mean anything. I'm not sure how I would've filled the last 7 yrs spending the time with my son and the friends that I've made with other parents throughout the state. Enjoy each year and set goals!
Win or Lose like a Champion

Todd

Quote from: MOEGYMAN on March 20, 2013, 06:03:31 PM
I am starting this thread to hear everyones best story of what has happened to them at kids state.
Here is our story,my sons first year down he was in first grade 7 years old.
He won his first two matches,I was stoked he is doing awesome I was thinking!
Then about half way through the wrestle backs on the back side he wakes up from a little nap and says "dad you will be proud of me no matter how I end up doing right?"
It felt like a loaded question but I said what any good supporting father would tell a seven year old who at the time still for real thought the easter bunny was coming in a couple of weeks,yea of course I will be proud of you.
His response for real no joke!!   "ok I am ready to go home now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
WOW REALLY NO WAY I said.
YEP he said.
With the help of many he stayed ended up finishing third.
That is our story please share yours.

While I agree, you will be proud no matter how they place my rule for my kids is if they enter something and we pay for the event or sport they have to finish it out.  Glad he stayed and finished the tourney, sounds like he did well.
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

Quote from: ICEMAN on March 20, 2013, 10:23:14 PM
My son's first try at making it to State(8yrs ago) ended in disaster at regionals-6th place.  The next 2 yrs his goal was to win a match at State. He made it and went 1-2 the next 2 years. He then began to get serious and put in the extra work telling me he would do better next yr. He then took 4th and then 3rd the next two yrs . He felt pretty good getting one of those WWF trophies but yet it wasn't enough to him. He put in even more work and told me his goal was 1st or 2nd next yr.. After winning State now the last 2 years I look back on how he started out. I never imagined how much youth State would define my sons progress. He made goals every yr to do better than the yr before. Some say Youth State doesn't mean anything. I'm not sure how I would've filled the last 7 yrs spending the time with my son and the friends that I've made with other parents throughout the state. Enjoy each year and set goals!

Youth state certainly means a lot.  I think those who have said don't worry about it or don't put too much focus on it would say more focus should be spent on that special time that you have together and less about worrying about placement and who will wrestle who.  Great story by the way.
"This page intentionally left blank".

imnofish

Quote from: Todd on March 20, 2013, 11:04:29 PM
Quote from: ICEMAN on March 20, 2013, 10:23:14 PM

Youth state certainly means a lot.  I think those who have said don't worry about it or don't put too much focus on it would say more focus should be spent on that special time that you have together and less about worrying about placement and who will wrestle who.  Great story by the way.

I think the key here is that the boy set the goals for himself.  Not every young wrestler will do that, let alone follow through on the work necessary to attain them.  I've seen too many kids whose goals are set by their dads, resulting in a lot of stress and lost interest.  When a kid is self-motivated and ready to follow through like Iceman describes, he's bound to make great progress whether it happens in grade school or high school.  Kudos!   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Mommabear

My son made it to state his first year of eligibility, so he was 7 years old.  He went down for the grand march with his little friend, also 7, and did the march.  He was 45 #, one of the first matches to go and he was no where to be found after the grand march he simply disappeared.  Dad and friends were frantically searching for him as his mat waited... 10-15 minutes later he wanders around a corner- he had went out the wrong door.  "Why didn't you stay with your group??" 
"I don't know- that looked like a good door to use."   ???

Anyone who knows Mathias, knows he marches to his own drummer...

He went 0-2 that day, and Mom and Dad were physically sick from the worry of losing him.   ;D Good times.

Kickball

My daughter's first trip to state was the last year that the youth division was coed. She placed third at Regionals so we thought we were done. Monday afternoon she got the call to fill out the last open spot on the bracket. Big hug from her coach at practice that night, name added to the state t-shirt, hotel room booked. Lining up in the tunnel Saturday morning, coach turns to her dad and says "I think I am more nervous than she is". Against all expectation, she went out and won her first match 4-1. That win gave her a ton of confidence. There is something about that first win at state that told her you are good enough to be here. She went 2-2 that day. It fueled a competitive fire that just keeps increasing year to year.

I am sure some funny things have happened along the way but hard to remember now with the weigh-ins tomorrow!

meatballs

My second son (who made it to state and placed every year) was so happy for his brother who had finally qualified after many attempts that he told me: "I want Tommy to place more than I want myself to place. He will LOVE that feeling!"  It was his 8th grade year. We had 4 boys place that year, including Tommy. One of the best days of our lives.

aarons23

Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

meatballs

Vipor

Our first trip(when he was a 2 grader) we found seating and he says "where is the bathroom". So I take him there and tell him to return. When he came out of the bathroom he was lost and went on the other side of the arena from us. Mother says "WHERE IS HE NOW !". I went the the bathroom and no kid there. Now my phone rings with (Bad service). Mother says"I can see him across from  us out one of the tunnels by the railing". So I run to that location. The kid is now on the move to a different tunnel. Mother is on the phone."He is right next to you know...crackle ....crackle ..) Now they are calling for his bracket to the mat. After the 3rd time moving I found him and we ran downstairs to the tunnel and out to the mat and wrestled. Take about stressful! He did perform and won the battle and ended up on top of the podium that year.  The following year I was armed with the dog leash to be safe. I still would Not trade these times and memories for us,our club, and all the wrestling families for anything!!

bshere

My sons first trip to State was at the age of 9 and as he was getting ready
his coach told him to be confident and intimidate the other kid, as we are
walking down the tunnel the other boy looks at my son, and says so have you been
down here before and my son tells him yes, so the other boys says how did 
you do and my 9 year old tells him hes won it 3 years in a row. Long story
short my son pinned him in 12 secs.  :D 

Easy

Now that's funny!!! What a few words of wisdom will do!