98-99 predictions

Started by fryguy518, March 10, 2013, 09:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walkd

I would like to predict all the weights correctly, but I can't and I doubt anyone else can. A lot of it depends on the bracket setup and match ups. The bracket I am most familiar with is pretty even and hard to predict. I hear a lot about Jeremy Schoenherr, strong and dedicated, yet we have never seen him wrestle. Scharenbrock is another name and has past credentials at state and beyond. We have finished second the past two years and you might say we are a favorite. The reality is, there are quite a few wrestlers that are very equal in talent and quite seasoned. Most did not place last year at state, yet I know they are very talented and have been for some time. The best wrestler on a certain weekend, day, hour will prevail. May all the kids enjoy the experience, it is truly a one of a kind.

Mommabear

Quote from: walkd on March 13, 2013, 11:28:07 PM
I would like to predict all the weights correctly, but I can't and I doubt anyone else can. A lot of it depends on the bracket setup and match ups. The bracket I am most familiar with is pretty even and hard to predict. I hear a lot about Jeremy Schoenherr, strong and dedicated, yet we have never seen him wrestle. Scharenbrock is another name and has past credentials at state and beyond. We have finished second the past two years and you might say we are a favorite. The reality is, there are quite a few wrestlers that are very equal in talent and quite seasoned. Most did not place last year at state, yet I know they are very talented and have been for some time. The best wrestler on a certain weekend, day, hour will prevail. May all the kids enjoy the experience, it is truly a one of a kind.

Nice post Dave!  It's true, any wrestler, ANY wrestler can be beaten on any given day.  I would rather have my sons always be the underdogs (and they usually are), fighting their way through than over confident.  If fact, I show my one son the posts on here where he is not favored and tell him to Prove them wrong.  Having said that, I truly hope Logan is at the very top of the podium this year.

This has been a hard year for our family.  My dad passed away last month after a lengthy illness.  My boys have not wrestled in as many tournaments as they usually do for this reason- wrestling has really taken a back burner this year.  But, we have been blessed to have the wrestling family that we do.  The coaches have been integral in  building up my sons' confidence, working them hard but giving them the consistency and feedback needed to make them better. They never have any doubt that their coaches care about their success- they show it at every match and every practice.  The other parents in our club cheer them on and are the first to hug/high five or congratulate them when they are successful and their practice partners are literally and figuratively always in their corner.  We've also met the most amazing wrestling people from around the state who have sent thoughts and prayers and messages of encouragement for our boys.  I am so very grateful for all of these people.  The last few months would have been much harder without them. 

Sorry for getting a little melancholy... wrestling, itself,  may not be the most important thing in life, but because of the club we belong to and the wonderful wrestling people we are surrounded by, it's right up their for our family.  So, no matter if you kid wins or loses next week (or any week!), be grateful for the experience, and especially the people with you on the ride.

walkd

Colin Schubert from Southern was High School State Champ this year. I tell the younger kids he was mediocre as a middle school wrestler. His dad told me that was generous, he was awful. Kids mature mentally and physically at different stages. The kid that doesn't make the podium now, certainly could in the future.

aarons23

Quote from: walkd on March 14, 2013, 12:04:59 PM
Colin Schubert from Southern was High School State Champ this year. I tell the younger kids he was mediocre as a middle school wrestler. His dad told me that was generous, he was awful. Kids mature mentally and physically at different stages. The kid that doesn't make the podium now, certainly could in the future.

+1000. This is so true...let it be fun while they are young...no one will remember if they won a state title in youth once they hit high school.  We just want them to be there in high school.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Say-Say

Quote from: walkd on March 14, 2013, 12:04:59 PM

Love that. Kids can get excruciatingly frustrated if they don't make state during the middle school years, or if they find themselves getting pounded on all the time and taking more losses than wins. It is helpful for people to remind them that the middle school champs aren't always the HS champs, and vice versa. That hard work can pay off. We had a ms "stud" in our club a few years back that everyone favored. Two years into high school he dropped out; his interests changed. It happens. Keep working hard!

ICEMAN

Quote from: W-Snoop on March 14, 2013, 11:32:23 AM
QuoteThe reality is, there are quite a few wrestlers that are very equal in talent and quite seasoned. Most did not place last year at state, yet I know they are very talented and have been for some time. The best wrestler on a certain weekend, day, hour will prevail. May all the kids enjoy the experience, it is truly a one of a kind.

Nice post and so true.  My son has been wrestling since he was little.  Growing, learning from his losses and wins and becoming a better wrestler as he has gotten older.  My son has had the pleasure of participating at State in Madison and standing on the podium only a few of those times.  Like I tell him, be PROUD and stand tall no matter what.  You are one of the 16 kids in your weight class that made it this far.  Not many get to see that chance, and its very unfortunate that they don't.  Hard work and determination all pays off.  And as for predicting the outcomes, I feel as these wrestlers get older, the competition only gets better, so its really anyones game.  It is true, anyone CAN be beat at any given time.  But I do have to say I am proud of my son when he's standing next to the other 15 kids at State (if he has made it) knowing that he's at the same level of a wrestler as the other tough kids are that he's been wrestling with for years.

Good Luck to all the State Qualifiers this next week in Madison.

Nicely said Snoop! State means alot to these wrestlers now. Its obvious that you cannot compare HS vs Elementary State titles. This thread got off track a little. The hard work by these youth now will build their chances at competing at the next level. Good luck to everyone!
Win or Lose like a Champion

walkd

Profound statements now closed. For those who were having fun making predictions, you may proceed.  ;D

kmoc33

+1000. This is so true...let it be fun while they are young...no one will remember if they won a state title in youth once they hit high school.  We just want them to be there in high school.
[/quote]

While I agree with your point here that there is no comparison or correlation between HS and youth, I disagree with your statement. I believe many of these kids will remember, and many people will remember. This may be the highest things they accomplish. So why diminish the accomplishment of being a youth state champ.  And yes I remember that Breske and Bird and Lee and Smith and Marko, and Pelot etc.. were multi time state placer as youth. Is there a comparison is HS state champ and youth state champ NO

aarons23

Don't think anyone was diminishing anything...the discussion was about a kid whom by his dads own statement ,wasn't very good in youth yet still won a high school state championship.  Yes, I believe to much emphasis is put on youth wrestling....at to early of an age.  As a parent I would cherish my sons accomplishments in any youth sport...but I would not make it a defining moment in their lives.  As I get older and watch my three sons grow in the sport of wrestling, I realize its not that important. 

I can not speak for any of the others you mentioned but while Smith has not forgotten his accomplishments...he has them in perspective and does not view them as a big deal. As a parent I want my young wrestlers to learn the sport , respect the sport, learn to win , learn to loose and most importantly have fun.

I can also say my view of things with wrestling has evolved over the last twelve years.  Things we did with my oldest son we wouldn't even consider with the younger two.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

kmoc33

Again I don't disagree with what your saying, and I dont think you we're diminishing anyone's accomplishments But your comment no one will remember a youth state title, is not true in my case. Will it have less meaning as time goes on, maybe? But then again my kid may not wrestle forever, so I choose to hold it in high regards right now.

fryguy518

Everybody needs to relax and do as they think there kids should, have fun!!!!!!!!! Im sure everybody agrees that its more important in HS but all we have now is youth and it should be important or stop bringing your kids and wait til it matters.  March, best month of the year cuz of the WWF not the WIAA.

Mommabear

I see both of your sides aarons and Kmoc.  Although I agree as the kids age these youth accomplishments will not mean as much- like anything in life, as you grow and experience different things, the things you've already accomplished are in the past and don't mean as much.  But as these kids are living this, State is the most important thing at that time.  These kids train all year for this and I bet they will always remember how it felt to stand at the top of the podium- best in your state at year group and weight- all the hard work paying off.  I vehemently hope that these experiences, precious as they are at the time, will be a distant memory for my boys as they pursue bigger and better things- whether in wrestling or in life.  Here are my picks:

I'm going to pick top 2 in each weight.

80 A Koontz / Mason Philips
85 Walker / Schoenherr
90 Klein / Berglin
95 Jenny/Schultz
100 Kauffman/Mocco
105 Shea/Acosta
110 Bird / Hansen
115 Hurlbert / Von Ruden
120 I'm going to pick the top 6 here, since my kid is in here: Krein/Winchel/ Younger/Garcia/Bethel/Lichtfuss
     Hopefully that is less jinxing...   :-X
125 Bahr / Payne
130 Johnson / Alt
135 Gahnz / Haugen
140 Williams /Westfall
160 Belongia /Peplinski
175 Bornbach /

And even if these accomplishments don't mean squat in high school or college, may all of the qualifiers enjoy the beauty of this competition.

nutman

Mommabear is right...these kids are living this.  The only criticism, I have about the picks is everyone is being wishy-washy.   Be Bold, pick one per weight!   I will also say, these kids who are on these lists didn't just appear here because they wrestled an hour or two each week.   Most of their friends in their schools, who do not wrestle,  have no clue what these kids do to put themselves in these situations.  The forum is a great tool!  It is cool that these kids have accomplished something and people know their names across our state.  Let's have fun with this moment in their lives.  I think we should follow these posts up with which picker is the most accurate.  I think Momma has got 120 covered :D

catzfan

80 Koontz  ;)
85 Schoenherr
90 Bergelin
95 Jenny
100 Kauffman
110 Bertrand
115 Donnelly
120 Sarver
125 Bahr
130 Johnson
135 Goodman
140 Williams
145 Coffeen
150 LaRue
160 Jandrin
175 Bornbach

To all the wrestlers I did not pick, Good Luck! Prove me wrong and enjoy the journey.

dad 2 5

I echo the "have fun, enjoy the moment". Hopefully the parents don't get in the way of the kids just going out and playing on a little bigger stage and having a blast!