Got to finish that!! Graff/Ramos

Started by badgerguy, March 09, 2013, 06:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drivingforce

Quote from: Scourge on March 09, 2013, 08:08:58 PM
Quote from: Briopiate on March 09, 2013, 07:55:25 PM
looked like Ramos was waiting for that shot..he seemed content to to not attempt any offense of his own...sucks because that was a beautiful shot!...Here's to hoping that Steiber wipes that stupid sneer off of Ramos' mug with a good beating..

Yeah, all I've heard is how Ramos is the most dominant wrestler in the country this year..etc..etc...and it's on themat, and every other forum as well. 

Yet he didn't wrestle Steiber or Graff in the B10's.

Great wrestler, don't get me wrong, but no Taylor, Dake, etc..etc..

I have him taking a 5th this year at the D-1's.
Graff and Ramos are both really really good, Stieber is great. Ramos will beat Graff 5-3 or 6-2. But no, Taylor and Dake are at a wholly different level. Taylor is killing people in this tournament. Dake will still beat him. Alex Dieringer at 157, looking good.

head57

Who saw the match? Was the stalling point deserved?
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

BuckyMatt

Quote from: head57 on March 22, 2013, 07:52:26 PM
Who saw the match? Was the stalling point deserved?

Deserved in my opinion.  I'm surprised he wasn't called more.

-M Deadman

hammen

As far as Ramos deserving that point? No. He showed no true offense besides what Brands said: "forward". If that's offense, then I guess it was deserved.

This was similar to what happened against Dardanes in the quarters at Big Tens. Tyler feels most comfortable wrestling from space. He will always try to back up and create space to get a better look at his offense. It's just a bad matchup when guys keep in the future without true offense. I think Tyler needed to commit in the 3rd when it was tied after the stall point. He had the most energy then. When it came to the 3rd overtime, he was too drained from the heavy hands of Ramos to get off a good attack. I think he needed to take that attack in the 3rd overtime though, otherwise he was going to get hit for stalling (Iowa crowd, Brands crying for it, and Ramos just pushing).

Funny thing - I remember being in the room one of the first days that Morningstar was at UW and he said to Tyler - "Tyler, you are way better than Ramos. So much better." I really think he is. A better offensive wrestler. It's just unfortunate that the rules allow that stuff to happen.

jaguarwrestler

Tyler losing had nothing to do with the ref, Brands or the crowd... it had to do with the way he wrestled (strategy)

Face it, the first 3:30 he wrestled like we wanted to advance, the next 3:30 he wrestled like he was trying to protect a 2 point lead. You can't back off for that long and not expect to get hit, he didn't take a real shot the last 3 minutes.

If he wreslted the last half of the match like the first half he wins by 3 or 4... he could have ended it in the last minute of the 3rd or first minute of OT

I can't stand Ramos but he didn't back off and Tyler did.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Musky Hunter

sucks big time.  tough decision. 

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: futurerichguy on March 22, 2013, 08:17:19 PM
JW, you're always the party pooper :P

just telling it as I see it, I was very excited the first half the match and very upset the last half. I told my wife going into the 3rd that it would go to OT on a stalling call.... you don't win these types of matches by shutting down.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

wvc

If I was the ref I'd tell Ramos you got the one stall call on a push out. Until you take at least 1 legitimate shot Graff can run laps around the parking lot for all I care. This is wrestling. If all you are going to try to do is push guys off the mat go to Japan. They have a sport for that. He should've been dinged a half dozen times at least. I don't care what anybody else thinks. That is not wrestling in any way, shape or form.

boowrestle

JMO,theres going to be 2 finals matches that may surprise some people,133/steiber is going to handle Ramos and 165/Taylor is going to beat Dake3/4pt match.You all heard it here 1st!! ;)
you can run but you cannot hide.

Ghetto

I knew once Graff didn't get the TD in OT he wasn't going to win. Why does he always has in a big match? Ugh
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

CLC FAN

If you think the transitive property applies to competitive sports at all, you need to re-think your philosophy tonight!!!

anoka114

After watching umpteen matches where guys won by running for 45 seconds, backing up to get the win without even a stall warning, Graff got hosed. Stalling was rampant throughout this tournament. Can see why casual fans don't want to watch. Who the inappropriate term3 would pay to see stalling and no action. I wouldn't and I love wrestling.

Chedd

There definitely is a lot of stalling in many of these matches. Ramos pressured Graff enough to make it look worse than it was. He also started this very early in the match and almost the entire match was wrestled from their feet. Tough for the wrestler that backs up to not get called a few times. Graff could have done a couple of things to limit the stalling; attempt riding Ramos longer or wrestle more out of a tie. Graff wanted to wrestle in space but you can't do that and keep backing up. He put the ref in a position where he almost had to call stalling.

billymurphy

I was worried for Graff. Even after giving up a stall point he continued to back up continually.  He is Dang lucky the ref did not just hit him with another stall call and end the match.  Graff needs to hold his ground once the ref has warned him for stalling.  Do not back straight up or he will get nailed.  Graff is the better wrestler, always has been, but Graff needs to take it to Ramos for all seven minutes or he will never make the NCAA finals.  Graff did this against Long of Penn State in the Big finals too.

Barou

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 22, 2013, 08:14:00 PM
Tyler losing had nothing to do with the ref, Brands or the crowd... it had to do with the way he wrestled (strategy)

Face it, the first 3:30 he wrestled like we wanted to advance, the next 3:30 he wrestled like he was trying to protect a 2 point lead. You can't back off for that long and not expect to get hit, he didn't take a real shot the last 3 minutes.

If he wreslted the last half of the match like the first half he wins by 3 or 4... he could have ended it in the last minute of the 3rd or first minute of OT

I can't stand Ramos but he didn't back off and Tyler did.

That is exactly how it went down.  Ramos did show he is better conditioned than Graff.  I was actually hoping for something to be reviewable for Barry to challenge so Graff could get a lung timeout, seems to be a common theme in this years tournament.
JHI Mafia